March 28, 2024, 07:25:57 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: BBC Documentary Podcast  (Read 7380 times)

July 15, 2019, 09:08:05 AM
Read 7380 times

Teddy

Administrator

July 15, 2019, 09:34:03 AM
Reply #1

Teddy

Administrator
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:07:05 AM by Teddy »

July 15, 2019, 05:42:16 PM
Reply #2

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07grys7

Just listened to it. It was ok. Nothing that we dont already know about but good for those who are new to this Mystery.
DB

July 16, 2019, 09:46:53 AM
Reply #3

Teddy

Administrator
38:41 Arhipov and then Lucy talk about dead birds and animals, and 4 year ban on pastures and wells.
There are no official reports about unusually high number of animal deaths due to possible increased levels of radiation in the area. There are myths but no evidence. Since everybody suspected failure in technologically advanced weapons at the time they could see radiation glowing from every carcass.

On the other hand we have diaries and documents from treks in 1959 and 1960 near Dyatlov Pass. There were no restrictions on using the water from the rivers. Hikers saw Mansi fishing and herding their deer in the area. In 1963 Yakimenko's group placed the memorial plaque on the boot rock. And he also drank the water form the river. You can see documents from the treks on http://tlib.ru.
Trek №1599 - hike in August 1959 http://www.tlib.ru/doc.aspx?id=29782&page=1
Trek №1043 - hike in August 1960 http://www.tlib.ru/doc.aspx?id=29073&page=1

July 16, 2019, 02:48:50 PM
Reply #4

sarapuk

38:41 Arhipov and then Lucy talk about dead birds and animals, and 4 year ban on pastures and wells.
There are no official reports about unusually high number of animal deaths due to possible increased levels of radiation in the area. There are myths but no evidence. Since everybody suspected failure in technologically advanced weapons at the time they could see radiation glowing from every carcass.

On the other hand we have diaries and documents from treks in 1959 and 1960 near Dyatlov Pass. There were no restrictions on using the water from the rivers. Hikers saw Mansi fishing and herding their deer in the area. In 1963 Yakimenko's group placed the memorial plaque on the boot rock. And he also drank the water form the river. You can see documents from the treks on http://tlib.ru.
Trek №1599 - hike in August 1959 http://www.tlib.ru/doc.aspx?id=29782&page=1
Trek №1043 - hike in August 1960 http://www.tlib.ru/doc.aspx?id=29073&page=1

Very interesting. Its such a shame that the EVENT happened such a long time ago, I mean if it was just a few years after the Event then people would remember things more easily and more accurately and of course important Evidence such as the TENT would still be available. It seems to have taken the fall of the USSR to bring people out of their shells, so to speak. And if it was not for this particular FORUM I wonder if the latest interest by the Authorities would even be taking place. I am sure this Web Site and Forum is the best on the subject. So clearly this Event still has potential for solving.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:56:17 PM by sarapuk »
DB

July 16, 2019, 10:28:31 PM
Reply #5

Teddy

Administrator
I think the fact that the authorities are taking interest kind of indicates that they are not involved in a cover up. My opinion is that they didn't like the fact, 60 years ago, that something happened under their noses and they didn't know what it is. Hence the hectic investigation, premature closing of the case and stamp classified. They wanted to find out what are they dealing with but they never did. Because the case is convoluted and the forensics were not what they are nowadays. I do agree that DYATLOVPASS.COM is the best site, and FORUM.DYATLOVPASS.COM is the only forum in English on the subject. Thank you for your participation. I am in charge of the site, but the forum is entirely your domain. I can't be everywhere, so please keep your minds, hearts, eyes and mouths open. There is gonna be development in 2019-2020.

July 16, 2019, 10:32:33 PM
Reply #6

Teddy

Administrator
The information about confiscated histological analyzes and samples of the last 4 bodies comes solely from Arhipov. Allegedly, veterans of forensic pathology who worked with Vozrozhdenny and Ganz told him about it. He does not say the names of his sources, he does not give a complete record of the conversation, there are no supporting documents. Rumors spread like brush fire. Everything one says is repeated and spread and no one cares about supporting documents. But then again - there are still documents that are not declassified. If you ask me - we have enough of mystery, why does Arhipov add to this by not naming his sources if it is true?

Samples were taken from the last 4 bodies
Autopsy report of Kolevatov
Autopsy report of Zolotaryov
Autopsy report of Thibeaux-Brignolle
Autopsy report of Dubinina
and Histological analyses were delivered.

I understand if they didn't show any results after the samples were taken but they did.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:13:26 PM by Teddy »

July 16, 2019, 11:39:08 PM
Reply #7

Star man

I think the fact that the authorities are taking interest kind of indicates that they are not involved in a cover up. My opinion is that they didn't like the fact, 60 years ago, that something happened under their noses and they didn't know what it is. Hence the hectic investigation, premature closing of the case and stamp classified. They wanted to find out what are they dealing with but they never did. Because the case is convoluted and the forensics were not what they are nowadays. I do agree that DYATLOVPASS.COM is the best site, and FORUM.DYATLOVPASS.COM is the only forum in English on the subject. Thank you for your participation. I am in charge of the site, but the forum is entirely your domain. I can't be everywhere, so please keep your minds, hearts, eyes and mouths open. There is gonna be development in 2019-2020.

It seems likely that the authorities did not know what happened at that start of the investigation given the actions they took.  Not 100% sure about the end of the investigation.  Maybe it was a bit embarrassing that they could not figure it out and therefore the hurried closure of the case.  I am beginning to think that this is the more likely explanation.

Regards
Star man

July 17, 2019, 12:33:25 AM
Reply #8

Teddy

Administrator
Aaah, samples are collected from the first 5 bodies too.
Autopsy report of Rustem Slobodin
Autopsy report of Yuri Doroshenko
Autopsy report of G. Krivonischenko
Autopsy report of Igor Dyatlov
Autopsy report of Kolmogorova

The samples were delivered to the forensic lab on March 10th, the receipt below is part of Case files vol. 2 p.11

Well, there are no results from the tests ever published. Now you can go one of the two ways to interpret this:
  • The commission of the regional committee decided on the cause of the group’s death to be hurricane. No investigation into foul play, the lab results (if there were any) never made it to the case files. I have to remind you that before the last 4 bodies were found in May the official scenario of events was misjudging hikers skills of survival in harsh environment, wrong decisions made by the leader of the group and death by hypothermia.
    or
  • KGB confiscated the lab results, but forgot about the receipt, as well as the lines in the autopsy reports. How immature of them.

July 21, 2019, 06:36:01 AM
Reply #9

Nigel Evans

It seems likely that the authorities did not know what happened at that start of the investigation given the actions they took. 
Immediately sweeping the mountain with a team of sappers using metal detectors commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel might argue against this. This is a significant rank of a seniority quite unnecessary for the task? Unless he had to be trusted with a secret in order to know what he was looking for?

July 21, 2019, 07:03:34 AM
Reply #10

Teddy

Administrator

July 22, 2019, 06:19:48 PM
Reply #11

lucid-nonsense

It seems likely that the authorities did not know what happened at that start of the investigation given the actions they took.  Not 100% sure about the end of the investigation.  Maybe it was a bit embarrassing that they could not figure it out and therefore the hurried closure of the case.  I am beginning to think that this is the more likely explanation.

To me it seems like they just kinda gave up? They basically went: that's all the evidence we're ever gonna have, and we just can't figure it out, but probably a series of misfortunes and accidents. Let's just close it and go get drunk.

Did they really close it hurriedly? What other tests or means of obtaining evidence could they have used? I mean, they even tested the clothes for radioactivity.

And they didn't open a criminal investigation because there was a 0% chance of them ever making an arrest. Because once again that was all the evidence they were ever gonna have. If they can't figure out what happened, they're certainly not gonna catch who did it.

July 22, 2019, 06:45:27 PM
Reply #12

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
What other tests or means of obtaining evidence could they have used?

Tree core samples......
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

July 22, 2019, 07:14:10 PM
Reply #13

lucid-nonsense

What other tests or means of obtaining evidence could they have used?

Tree core samples......

This would've told them what?

July 22, 2019, 07:35:30 PM
Reply #14

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
If any radiation was present in 1959

July 22, 2019, 08:49:33 PM
Reply #15

lucid-nonsense

They know it wasn't, or else everyone's clothes would've been contaminated.

July 22, 2019, 11:58:39 PM
Reply #16

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Well....  I don't think the first 5 were checked for radiation, and the RAV4 were thoroughly washed.  Starmans idea, and I think is a good one. 

January 25, 2021, 02:12:01 PM
Reply #17

marieuk

I realise this is an old post now, but I've just listened to the podcast and found it very interesting.   It was good to hear from people involved at the time, including Igor's sister.  Anyway, I have a question about Igor being found hugging a branch from a birch tree.  Does anyone know any more about how big this branch was or have any ideas about why he had it? 

January 26, 2021, 12:58:24 AM
Reply #18

Nigel Evans

I realise this is an old post now, but I've just listened to the podcast and found it very interesting.   It was good to hear from people involved at the time, including Igor's sister.  Anyway, I have a question about Igor being found hugging a branch from a birch tree.  Does anyone know any more about how big this branch was or have any ideas about why he had it?

Igor's "boxer" position seems to be classic rigor mortis - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigor_mortis

January 26, 2021, 01:16:15 AM
Reply #19

eurocentric

I will have a listen to the podcast.

My own intro to the Dyatlov Pass last summer was reading Lucy Ash's article at the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/SoLiOdJyCK/mystery_of_dyatlov_pass

January 27, 2021, 03:57:38 PM
Reply #20

marieuk

Thanks Eurocentric.  I had a read and it looks virtually identical to the podcast.  There's a bit in it where Igor's sister says the families were told by officials to stop asking questions because they would never find out the truth.  Let's hope Teddy and her co author prove them wrong. 

Thanks Nigel for the link about rigor mortis, which I confess I knew absolutely nothing about it, so now feel a little more informed.  In the podcast/article it says the following: 'Igor was found next. He was dressed but shoeless and lying face down in the snow, hugging a birch branch'.  I'm confused - is that just an expression, is it incorrect  or was he actually found with a tree branch? 

January 27, 2021, 05:02:02 PM
Reply #21

KFinn

Thanks Eurocentric.  I had a read and it looks virtually identical to the podcast.  There's a bit in it where Igor's sister says the families were told by officials to stop asking questions because they would never find out the truth.  Let's hope Teddy and her co author prove them wrong. 

Thanks Nigel for the link about rigor mortis, which I confess I knew absolutely nothing about it, so now feel a little more informed.  In the podcast/article it says the following: 'Igor was found next. He was dressed but shoeless and lying face down in the snow, hugging a birch branch'.  I'm confused - is that just an expression, is it incorrect  or was he actually found with a tree branch?

There is a picture of Igor taken after his body was discovered where you can see his arm around a branch, found here:  https://dyatlovpass.com/resources/340/Igor-Dyatlov-post-mortem-3.jpg
-Ren

January 28, 2021, 03:31:08 PM
Reply #22

marieuk

Thanks Ren.  I can't bring myself to look at the post mortem photos.