March 28, 2024, 11:07:16 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Location of the morgue  (Read 10866 times)

June 02, 2019, 11:19:07 PM
Read 10866 times

ikemitsu

In the Case Files it is stated that the autopsies were performed in the morgue of the central department hospital, PO Box No. 240. Can anyone tell where this was located in Ivdel? Does it refer to a military hospital or a civilian hospital? Apparently there was a morgue also at the prison camp site, but could this be used? I've read nurse Solter's interview but got very confused.

Also I'd love to know where the airport for helicopter and plane support was located. I haven't found any old map for Ivdel. The same railway station appears to exist still. I appreciate any information on Ivdel!

June 08, 2019, 01:29:05 PM
Reply #1

WAB

In the Case Files it is stated that the autopsies were performed in the morgue of the central department hospital, PO Box No. 240. Can anyone tell where this was located in Ivdel?

Yes it there has been located. The PO № 240 is a special address of a brigade militarised (incomplete military) protection of jails in Ivdel. There there was  full complex of all necessary organisations. Including medical which were used and for other people of Ivdel. The medical sector has been located not in territory of camp for prisoners though has been enclosed by a fence and was near to camp. The address of this mortuary now: Sobianina street, house № 10.

Does it refer to a military hospital or a civilian hospital? Apparently there was a morgue also at the prison camp site, but could this be used? I've read nurse Solter's interview but got very confused.

It was the combined hospital as the population of all city were mute more than quantity of prisoners. Prisoners of war in 1959 any more were not. Under treaty of 1955 all German and other prisoners of war have already been sent in the countries. Besides, in 1954-1956 were many political prisoners are released.
On it is necessary count about interview Pelagea Solter as on detailed and trustworthy information. At that time to it was already more than 90 years old and she has forgotten much also very many has mixed. It was found out, when compared to documents and the actual information from other sources.

Also I'd love to know where the airport for helicopter and plane support was located. I haven't found any old map for Ivdel.

The airport has been located as 5 km to the North-West from a city. It is very small airdrome and very modest constructions for its service. The soil runway had the size only 21 х 500 m and could get sodden at considerable quantity rains. The airdrome could accept only easy planes as type “An-2”  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-2   and” Jak-12” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-12   , and as helicopters. Constant basing of planes and helicopters there was not, they have been sent from Sverdlovsk, but usually were there long time.

The same railway station appears to exist still.

Yes. It is used as the basic for townsmen. The station building remains same as was in 1959. It have a little renewed and have painted. There pass trains from Moscow, Ekaterinburg (Sverdlovsk in 1959) and Serov town. All travellers use it for travel to N.Ural if their route is begins or comes end close.

I appreciate any information on Ivdel!

The Ivdel city contains some settlements which are removed on small distance from each other. Intervals between them are contained by wood.
On this picture the scheme is vicinities of the Ivdel city.
Figures on the scheme designate:
1.The Basic city territory.
2.Settlement of the main railway station "Ivdel-1".
3.Settlement Pershino.
4.Settlement of hydrolytic factory.
5.Settlement of branching way by name "Ivdel-2". The main way goes to East, to Ob river, the second way goes to North, to settlement “Polunochnoe”.
6.Settlement of building industrial complex.
7.Airdrome Territory. Now it does not operate.

June 11, 2019, 08:43:26 AM
Reply #2

ikemitsu

Thank you so much for this detailed information, WAB! It is just what I was looking for.

June 15, 2019, 01:56:28 PM
Reply #3

ikemitsu

Google Maps street view shows an old building at Ulitsa Sobyanina 10. I wonder if this is the original hospital building from 1959:

Could the morgue be inside the hospital main building?

Behind it there is a large triple-walled area - maybe the prison camp:

And on the west side of the building there is a smaller house. Maybe this was part of the hospital complex too, but not the morgue however:

Looking for the airfield location, I found this:

Zoomed out:

So to the upper left side of this latter image there is a small unofficial looking airfield. It's about 2 km from Ulitsa Sobyanina. Am I right to assume this is the same airfield location from 1959?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:00:18 PM by ikemitsu »

June 16, 2019, 11:43:53 AM
Reply #4

WAB

Google Maps street view shows an old building at Ulitsa Sobyanina 10. I wonder if this is the original hospital building from 1959:

Could the morgue be inside the hospital main building?

No, this building is the hospital, and mortuary building was behind it, in territory which is now fenced by fence in modern configuration. However the address at them was identical. It is the same complex of medical institutions. The building of mortuary was one-storey and wooden at that time. Now much have reconstructed.

Behind it there is a large triple-walled area - maybe the prison camp:

[/quote]

Prisoners of war in Ivdel after 1955 was not. This construction – it is camp for usual criminals. Probably you dictionary of the translator confuses terms a little.
Now it is that remains from system of jails that period. Earlier this territory was more. The free platform on the right, behind road too was camp territory.

And on the west side of the building there is a smaller house. Maybe this was part of the hospital complex too, but not the morgue however:

No. It is absolutely other building. For premise of mortuary it very small. That building has not remained, as well as the most part of wooden constructions.

Looking for the airfield location, I found this:

Zoomed out:

So to the upper left side of this latter image there is a small unofficial looking airfield. It's about 2 km from Ulitsa Sobyanina. Am I right to assume this is the same airfield location from 1959?

Yes, it is airdrome. Now it actually does not operate (since 1997) though it is not deduced from the register of Civil Aviation.
There still 10 years ago it was possible sit down for the helicopter (and fly up ), but now the airdrome territory grows with bush.

As the author of this picture has told: «In some years there it will be possible not only gather mushrooms, but also hunts …» (c) Vadim847

Distances are defined on that way which is touched to itself researcher. If measure from city suburb, it will be ~ 2 km. If measure from "city centre" (it is considered the bridge through Ivdel river) and on automobile speedometer, it will be ~ 5 km. If measure from railway station, it will be ~ 8 km.

PS. In the near future I cannot answer to questions. On June, 26th in Ekaterinburg city there will be press conference on preliminary results to trip Office Public Prosecutor to pass as check this theory version. I am invited as expert there. After that, in press should appear information about it. If it is insufficient I can add it after returning.

June 16, 2019, 11:33:01 PM
Reply #5

ikemitsu

Big thanks again, WAB! Now I have a better picture. Have a good conference trip, I'm sure your expertise will be appreciated.

June 17, 2019, 11:06:40 AM
Reply #6

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
I am sure that the World will be waiting with interest into the latest findings by the Authorities concerned. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:02:40 AM by Teddy »
DB