March 28, 2024, 03:01:04 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Being realistic  (Read 14113 times)

January 26, 2021, 04:52:16 PM
Reply #60

eurocentric

There could be some attention-seeking yetis posting here who manipulate topics into a discussion about them. I for one know it's not me, it's perfectly true I would benefit from a shave, but I'm a lifelong vegetarian so wouldn't mutilate the reindeer.

January 26, 2021, 05:19:01 PM
Reply #61

RMK

Well, if they were government funded, maybe they could have e stretched a bit further?

No need.  In Soviet Russia, yeti catch you!

That is interesting.  What do you mean?

Regards

Star man
Star Man (I might misunderstand your post), DAXXY simply seems to be referencing a style of joke popularized by Ukrainian-American comedian Yakov Smirnoff ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Smirnoff#Russian_reversal ).

January 27, 2021, 08:00:04 AM
Reply #62

mk

Well, if they were government funded, maybe they could have e stretched a bit further?

Regards

Star man

Yes, I was referring to the old "Russian-reversal" joke.  It just seemed like the obvious response, given the circumstances and the topic of discussion.

I don't really think a yeti has anything to do with this tragedy.  But if yetis were real, and if a group of young people were to try to capture one, I wouldn't be surprised if they all wound up dead in strange ways.

January 27, 2021, 12:38:58 PM
Reply #63

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
What type of explosion?  A booby trap?  What about dropping a string of ordinance across the top of the Valley they were in?

Regards

Star man

Highly unlikely. How do you explain the missing Tongue and Eyes  !  ?

If Solter wzs right then it is possible that her face was surgically altered to remove obvious signs of an explosion.  A thermobaric bomb can cause organs to rupture, so if the eyes and tongue had been damaged they have removed them before placing them back in the ravine.  Is it normal for eye brows to be ansent on a 3 month old frozen corpse?

It would have been a well funded operation with access to military support, I would think.

Regards

Star

Well you would need a lot of Evidence to support your theory. Those injuries look more like Mutilations, but not ones caused by other people.

I don't have evidence, other than that which everyone here has access to.  The case files, the witness statements etc.  Nothing else really.

I have explored the Yeti theory, which I think you may be referring to in great detail, and agree that there are similarities in the types of injuries to those you would expect from a large ape mutilation.  The tent kind of resembles a panicked stricken escape, by people trying to get away from a Yeti, and "The Evening Otorten" found in the tent also makes reference to the Yeti.  I have also researched the evidence for the existence of such creatures, and considering I am an objective person was surprised by the amount of evidence there is.  I did not expect to find anything convincing.  But there is evidence there.  A bit like the dpi though nothing conclusive.  Now you may think that this is moving a bit off topic- "being realistic", so let's keep it real.  On the Yeti, the Russians "really" thought that there might be such things as Yetis.  They thought it convincing enough for the government to set up an organisation the purpose of which was to capture a Yeti.  I have no idea whether they were successful or not.  How would you go about capturing a Yeti?  I mean where would you even start?

Regards

Star man

Well is the Yeti a creature like an Ape or is it something else. And the Mutilations Iam thinking of are those related to the infamous Cattle Mutilations that occur regularly around the World.

I don't know what they are.  It is a fascinating subject though.  I dont think a Yeti a attacked the hikers.  It's interesting how every topic decends into Yeti discussions though.

Regards

Star man

Yes we are never far away fromYeti. Or UFO. The reason being is that there are many witnesses who have seen such things. And there is reference to such things in the Case Files etc.
DB

January 27, 2021, 04:57:29 PM
Reply #64

Star man

Regards

Star man

Yes, I was referring to the old "Russian-reversal" joke.  It just seemed like the obvious response, given the circumstances and the topic of discussion.

I don't really think a yeti has anything to do with this tragedy.  But if yetis were real, and if a group of young people were to try to capture one, I wouldn't be surprised if they all wound up dead in strange ways.

Thanks for the clarification.  Am not familiar with it.

I dont actually think that a yeti attacked the group either, or that they were trying to catch one.  But the Russian government did set up an organisation to do just that in 1958.  It was suddenly shut down on 23rd Jan 1959, just over a week before the hikers died, and as far as I am aware all documentation classified. Coincidence?  Might have been.  Not sure if the documentation was really classified though.  How would a well funded organisation with access to military support go about capturing a yeti?  Traps?  Try to flush them out?   Could they have been working in the same area as the Dyatlov group?  Accidently attacked them or dropped something?  Would seem a bit like using a hammer to crack a nut but we are talking 1959.

There are other explanations, even simple ones such as the stove caused a fire in the tent, blocking the exit and they had to cut through the side.  During tge escape they were exposed to the smoke and sustained some burns.  Now with tent useless they could not survive.  I dont know why there would be a need tovstage something that did not have some outside influence though.  Also the cuts in the tent still don't make sense. 

Regards

Star man

January 28, 2021, 04:33:23 AM
Reply #65

eurocentric

Yeti can be 'seen' almost everywhere.

Frame 5 Thibeaux-Brignolle's camera

January 28, 2021, 10:10:49 AM
Reply #66

Manti

The forest where they were found seems to be the nearest shelter from weather.  Did wind destroy the tent so they decided to get out and go for cover in the forest until the wind dropped ? 
If we assume the weather event was wind, is the forest really the nearest shelter? Wouldn't the leeward side of the "Boot Rock" be better? A forest is actually an extremely dangerous place in high wind because if trees are toppled, or even if it's just large branches breaking off, they can fall on you.

If the event was avalanche (or fear of one), again going downhill to the valley is exactly where the avalanche would also go so this also offers no explanation.

Hailstorm? They would have taken their coats or backpacks to hold above their head.

Blizzard? The tent offers the most protection so staying inside would have made most sense.All in all, I think the only natural factor that the forest offers protection from is cold, because you can start a fire there.

January 28, 2021, 10:37:27 AM
Reply #67

DAXXY

They had the stove in the tent so why cold ?  they intended to use it because why carry it up to the pass ? Forests are known as shelter from weather especially wind.   I understand your thinking about trees and branches but often trees fall and get stopped by other trees.  Trees support each other but lone trees can be blown over, and those cedar and pine type trees are shallow rooting so there would be a risk but I don't think they would see it as a serious risk that would make them avoid the forest.  Also the human factor These would be needing to think quickly to find a solution to their problem that was the most acceptable.  They could have gone down to their store but that was further so distance mattered to them. Also the tent has to be a risky unreliable place to be.  If it was just cold they had a stove and blankets and clothing.  But wind starting to create tears in the tent maybe, it would stop them sleeping, raise all their anxiety, maybe wind collapsed the tent on them.  Also the locals did warn them about the winds on the pass. 

January 28, 2021, 12:14:35 PM
Reply #68

eurocentric

The forest provides shelter from the wind chill, which is the killer, via the windbreak effect of the tree trunks. The canopy of the evergreen trees shelter from the snow or rain. The fir branches something insulating to sit or lie down on - Yuri D was on some by the fire. And the plentiful supply of fuel for a fire. If under threat it's a retreat to hide in, whether being hunted on the ground or targeted from the air.

January 28, 2021, 12:28:25 PM
Reply #69

DAXXY

So windchill...wind causing cold..a compromise  grin1
So the tent becomes unsafe, risky, or just collapses due to buffeting from strong wind so rather than stay and try and put it back up and risk it coming down again, they decide to put snow on it to keep it down out of the wind and all head to the nearest forest (not down to their store in the forest).  For the shelter of the trees and fuel for a fire.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:09:39 PM by DAXXY »

January 28, 2021, 12:33:03 PM
Reply #70

eurocentric

Simplistically yes, but that does not explain why they failed to take what they needed to survive in terms of adequate clothing and footwear, and why Semyon's #1 priority appeared to be to take a second camera he apparently had.

That's why, if the tent was on the ridge, the only logic which works is for there to be a delay between dropping the tent/covering it with snow and leaving, during which time they laid inside their trench, perhaps thinking a sudden powerful squall would pass, and in the interim hypothermia set in on the underdressed trench diggers.

Then when the group left, either as one or possibly in two groups, one better dressed going to build a den, the other an unsuccessful fire, the underdressed did not feel the cold and were already paradoxically undressed, as it were, suffering from a cognitive impairment due to the cold so that they forgot things, while better dressed Semyon, Lyuda, Aleksander and Tibo knew they had to get out of there, with Semyon capable of thinking he should take his camera, for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 12:49:31 PM by eurocentric »

January 28, 2021, 01:26:51 PM
Reply #71

DAXXY

If we are thinking they are all in one group.  I think a speedy evacuation from the tent due to fierce winds and they are already cold and needing to hurry to a safer place.  I mean wind and windchill so bad that they thought the tent would be destroyed.  The snow on top was a last quick effort to keep the tent down and their possessions in one place.   To stay exposed on the pass is to die quickly.  Leaving stuff indicates the urgency of heading to what they believe at that time is a better place.
Get away, get warm, get safe, then re-assess.  That was their intention at that point.

Interesting idea from KFinn on the weather analysis thread.

'I fully admit I could be way off base here.  See, I camp in canvas tents all year round; I have for twenty years now.  Viking age living history stuff.  But one of the larger groups I am involved in with has a large, medieval "war," every year with an attendance of 10,000 people.  The grounds are all separated into blocks with varying numbers of camps on each block.  Many camps use sheet walls to delineate the camp borders.  Sheet walls that are higher than waist height all have one thing in common; we slit them with small horizontal slits so that they last longer in wind and inclement weather.  This way, wind goes through the slits and the sheet walls don't become sails that then tear in our more extreme storms.  I wondered recently, the way the tent was situated with wind, etc, could the slits have been an attempt to help keep the tent from blowing away or being damaged by extreme winds' ? 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 03:46:34 PM by DAXXY »

January 29, 2021, 05:15:46 AM
Reply #72

sarapuk

The forest where they were found seems to be the nearest shelter from weather.  Did wind destroy the tent so they decided to get out and go for cover in the forest until the wind dropped ? 
If we assume the weather event was wind, is the forest really the nearest shelter? Wouldn't the leeward side of the "Boot Rock" be better? A forest is actually an extremely dangerous place in high wind because if trees are toppled, or even if it's just large branches breaking off, they can fall on you.

If the event was avalanche (or fear of one), again going downhill to the valley is exactly where the avalanche would also go so this also offers no explanation.

Hailstorm? They would have taken their coats or backpacks to hold above their head.

Blizzard? The tent offers the most protection so staying inside would have made most sense.All in all, I think the only natural factor that the forest offers protection from is cold, because you can start a fire there.

It wasnt a Weather or Avalanche Event. In this Forum you will find many Posts relating to such ideas.
DB