March 28, 2024, 05:10:28 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Minesweeper theories  (Read 3889 times)

April 24, 2019, 01:58:45 PM
Read 3889 times

Niner

Hello there!

I'm new to this forum obviously, but not new to the topic. I stumble upon it every now and then since 10 years and always, it seems to me that guessing what happened then is like playing minesweeper: you can rule out some theories, but on some you have to place a question mark because it seems reasonable, unless you find some details that doesn't match the facts and blows the whole stuff up. The way I see it, the important question is not what killed them (because it was the cold, wasn't it?) but why they went out of the tent.
I sticked with the avalanche-theory a long time, because it seemed to most logical and natural explanation to me. They heard it coming, fled the tent and died somehow.
But then I learned that the area is not known for avalanches, also it doesnt make sense to cut your tent from the inside when you can just use the exit, unless the avalanche would've hit the tent and blocked it. But then, the pictures don't show a tent that was hit by an avalanche. It's snow-covered, but not so much the snow could've blocked the tent. Boom, the mine exploded.

My second guess: a fight broke out somehow. But I don't think that's reasonable, they weren't kids anymore, had a clear destination in a hard environment and had to focus. Also, they wouldnt ALL run outside.
Now, I'm thinking if the cold could've struck them while they were still in the tent. Hypothermia hit, they undressed partly and went outside (for whatever reason).
Sounds stupid, but it's my last take. Don't like all that lightning-rocket-UFO-infrasound stuff.
Is it known if they got their wounds post mortem and if they could've caused by the environment? Broken rips because of the snow squashed a dead body for instance?

April 25, 2019, 08:44:48 AM
Reply #1

Star man

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
Hello there!

I'm new to this forum obviously, but not new to the topic. I stumble upon it every now and then since 10 years and always, it seems to me that guessing what happened then is like playing minesweeper: you can rule out some theories, but on some you have to place a question mark because it seems reasonable, unless you find some details that doesn't match the facts and blows the whole stuff up. The way I see it, the important question is not what killed them (because it was the cold, wasn't it?) but why they went out of the tent.
I sticked with the avalanche-theory a long time, because it seemed to most logical and natural explanation to me. They heard it coming, fled the tent and died somehow.
But then I learned that the area is not known for avalanches, also it doesnt make sense to cut your tent from the inside when you can just use the exit, unless the avalanche would've hit the tent and blocked it. But then, the pictures don't show a tent that was hit by an avalanche. It's snow-covered, but not so much the snow could've blocked the tent. Boom, the mine exploded.

My second guess: a fight broke out somehow. But I don't think that's reasonable, they weren't kids anymore, had a clear destination in a hard environment and had to focus. Also, they wouldnt ALL run outside.
Now, I'm thinking if the cold could've struck them while they were still in the tent. Hypothermia hit, they undressed partly and went outside (for whatever reason).
Sounds stupid, but it's my last take. Don't like all that lightning-rocket-UFO-infrasound stuff.
Is it known if they got their wounds post mortem and if they could've caused by the environment? Broken rips because of the snow squashed a dead body for instance?

It doesn’t appear that the injuries could have been caused post mortem.  Has been discussed in various threads,

Might be worth you scanning through the different threads to get a feel for the different theories of you haven’t already done.

Regards
Star man

April 25, 2019, 08:48:02 AM
Reply #2

Clacon

Hello Niner - good to have you.

"Now, I'm thinking if the cold could've struck them while they were still in the tent."

Wow - very mysterious how I was reading your post and then read the article "On the Road of the Trail" right after!! It seems so plausible....did you read it yet??

I was of the mind that "The 3"'s wounds were caused by a fight...I am not so sure now though, as they may have been incapacitated going down to the Cedar, or going back to the tent, traversing the slippery, treacherous slope in a storm. I am sure that their injuries (not so much Igor's) would have contributed to their deaths by exposure.

The Ravine 4's injuries, I am convinced, were caused by a separate incident/disaster, that occurred AT the ravine, as the autopsies (as vague as they are) determined at least 3 of the 4 died as a result of their injuries; and at least 2 of the 4 would have succumbed to the injuries within 20 minutes. Plus it is stated that all 4's deaths "were violent". Only Kolevatov's autopsy states that "The body injuries found on the body of Kolevatov are in the head area - defects in soft tissues, as well as "bath" skin, are posthumous changes in a corpse that was recently found before it was found in the water." - although I am not sure if this is in reference to the "bath skin" or the "body injuries in the head area" or both.

We've been discussing the psychology of the group in previous posts ("The Simplest Credible Explanation") and its very reasonable to assume that a fight broke out. There were tensions, I'm sure, and while some of the group would have remained level-headed, others would not have. Its only reasonable to assume - they had different personalities and affinities (and I'm sure, dislike) for each other on a good day...then add the immense pressure of camping in such conditions....and I am sure a few of them "freaked out".

April 25, 2019, 05:08:07 PM
Reply #3

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
Hello there!

I like your use of the term MINESWEEPER. Its one way of looking at it. If you go through the Forum you will find a sort of pattern that lends itself to a sort of sweeping through the various events that make up the whole EVENT. And as you are probably already finding out, nothing is really that simple in the Dyatlov Mystery.
DB

April 26, 2019, 07:17:12 AM
Reply #4

Nigel Evans

Interesting title!

My theory combines ball lightning with military activity (missiles, tracked vehicles). One of the clues wrt state involvement is the use of a small group of sappers with mine detectors commanded by a Lieutenant Colonel.

For a search and rescue mission?