Factual Information > Expeditions to the Dyatlov Pass

Ski trip-expedition-2023 to the Dyatlov Pass from 12.03.23-24.03.23

<< < (6/6)

Manti:

--- Quote from: Ziljoe on May 04, 2023, 02:35:46 AM ---

* They set up the tent in the most unsuitable place. It is the windiest, there is no firewood and the ground is hard ice, not snow. The forest is visible from there as a dark blob even in a blizzardThe things I consider , maybe they had no choice but to pitch the tent there because of the weather or the weather was ok but they intended to go for wood after. We can see the hikers dig a hole in the slope and other videos show it being done. The day before there was a lot of wind so there may have been fresh snow drifts .

--- End quote ---
When Олег goes to the tent site for the first time, it's during a blizzard with very low visibility. The forest is still discernible as a darker, lower area. In addition, it was indicated on the maps the Dyatlov group had.

As for going for wood later, that's not possible because they would need their skis but they set up the tent on top of the skis.

We can see the hikers dig a hole. Now I think it is most likely not at the tent site. Loose snow is visible on that photo, but at the tent site the combination of the steepness of the slope and the strong wind would just not allow such accumulation to occur.

* They (some of them) went to the cedar which is on the other side if the stream, risking falling through the snow and getting wet. Again, waist deep snow all around the cedar area so they'd have had to crawl.The ceder seems to be the place with least snow, so they could at least stand. Even if snow is waste deep they had to try something.
--- End quote ---

They couldn't have stood there. In the videos, Olga tries to climb the cedar and keeps sinking into the snow. The cedar area is no different than any other area closeby.. There is nothing there that isn't available elsewhere in the forest. Of course snow depth varies but it was pretty consistently around 1 - 1.5m where they measured it, including next to the cedar.

--- Quote from: Ziljoe on May 04, 2023, 02:35:46 AM ---Maybe they did fall through the snow and get wet?. Could it be that the two Yuri's were separated by the ravine 4 falling and the other 3 then stuck on the other side and having to return to the tent? .

--- End quote ---
Maybe but I don't think the others would have to return to the tent. Igor camped on the other side of the stream, seems like a place that's just as good for starting a fire as near the cedar. Just as protected from the wind and plenty of firewood.

* They died 6-8 hours after their last meal, even though in the forest there's a lot of suitable firewood and they had matches and there is no apparent reason why they couldn't have sustained a fire It is speculative that they died 6-8 hours after their last meal due to the process of understanding cold on the body. The firewood will be different quality every year. If damp and frozen then it will not burn, I believe this is why the Mansi stack their wood on their trails. However, even if poor wood , it is reasonable that there would have been a pile of unburned branches found by the searcher's.

--- End quote ---
There are a lot of birch trees around and the bark can be used as tinder. If damp, the cedar's branches will also be damp. It's just that getting firewood can't be the reason for climbing the cedar. I don't think trying to escape from something or someone can be the reason either because of having to crawl to the tree, very slow. Maybe crossing the stream and climbing the tree could indicate trying to get away from something like a bear, hoping it wouldn't risk the deep snow above the stream, but nobody was mauled. If it is true that skin from the hikers was found high up on the cedar, as crazy as that sounds, maybe they fell on it from above. One of the first theories mentioned in the case files is a hurricane. It's not a popular theory at all. But after seeing the terrain and conditions in such detail, I can see why they considered that a possibility. The wind is very strong at the tent site. The cedar is too deep in to forest if you just want a place to start a campfire. The traumatic injuries would also be explained. The only problem is that the tent stayed in place...

Олег Таймень:

Олег Таймень:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version