April 27, 2024, 12:41:24 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Pashin/Ski Tracks from Hikers????  (Read 3838 times)

July 10, 2023, 07:46:00 PM
Read 3838 times

KathleenDSmith1

Everyone:

When Pashin and two other searches were dropped off, on February 23, 1959...twenty to twenty-one days have passed. No one seems to notice that the 9 hikers are up on the slope of Mount Otorten.   Mansi and/or another Ethnic Group was living in the vicinity and the majority were hunters with Skis...and Yet as soon as Pashin is dropped off ...Pashin explains that skis tracks are the Hikers???? How would Pashin exactly know if all inhabitants of Mount Otorten were hunters?  Igor Dyatlov wrote in the diary that we had to follow the ski tracks of Hunter...because of the wind and snow....Pashin was so convinced that what he had found, spent the night....

Case files 49-50:The Mansi ski trail was 10 km from the tent of the hikers and there were no ski tracks near the tent, Mansi or hikers, since the tent was drifted with snow. ....

July 10, 2023, 10:37:10 PM
Reply #1

Ziljoe

Where to start? This is an odd one but I will share my thoughts.

If I understand correctly,you are questioning how Pashin comes to the conclusion that the ski tracks belong to the hikers as opposed to local hunters?

If this is the question, my guess would be that the local hunters use different types of skis to the tourists . The hikers skis are narrow in comparison. Pashin mentions "wide" ski trail that follows a moose , I believe that is the difference in identifying who's tracks belong to which group of people.There may be other factors too.

Likewise, the quote that you show in the photo of the YouTube video is not the full quote or the same as what we have in the case file. In the case file it says this.

"On February 23, 1959 6 of us were dropped off from a helicopter in the area of Mount Otorten ​​to look for the lost group of hikers. On the first day of the search, once descended into the Auspiya we found ski tracks from the hikers. Here we pitched a tent, spend the night, divided into three groups and went to look for the hikers, as a result of the search we found a tent with belongings that was not clearly seen since it was covered with snow, we did not go into the tent. "

In the quote from the video picture as we see below, it is quite different.

"On February 23,  we were dropped off by helicopter .Once we descended we found ski tracks from the hikers. Here we pitched a tent, and spent the night."

The full testimony of Pashin is this.

https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-49-50

The witness testified: On February 23, 1959 6 of us were dropped off from a helicopter in the area of Mount Otorten ​​to look for the lost group of hikers. On the first day of the search, once descended into the Auspiya we found ski tracks from the hikers. Here we pitched a tent, spend the night, divided into three groups and went to look for the hikers, as a result of the search we found a tent with belongings that was not clearly seen since it was covered with snow, we did not go into the tent. The tent was found in the upper sources of Auspiya and Lozva at the height of the mountain Verhuspiya. When we went down from Mantveevska Parma we saw a wide ski trail that followed a trail of a moose. The Mansi ski trail was 10 km from the tent of the hikers and there were no ski tracks near the tent, Mansi or hikers, since the tent was drifted with snow. On the fifth day of our search we found 4 bodies covered with snow and on this day we were taken back home with helicopter to the village of Vizhay. We found the first stop of the hikers at about 17 km from where they found dead and 20 km from Lozva. At one kilometer from the the tent of the hikers we found Mansi stand where they herded the deer but the tracks were fresher i.e. left after the death of the hikers because the

Sheet 50

tracks were more recent than the footprints around the tent of the hikers. The mountain where the hikers dies is not sacred for Mansi people and their places of worship are very far from there by Vizhay river. Mansi couldn't have attacked the hikers, on the contrary, knowing their customs they might be of help for Russians. There were cases that in these places people go astray and Mansi find them and provide shelter and food. I believe that at this time when we were there was a strong wind and blown off the mountain. Around the time when hikers were killed even in the village of Vizhay was a strong wind and storm, from which the children were falling down. I am a hunter from an early age and I know these places well, and I remember that there were cases of strong winds when people got killed. I myself had to sit up strong winds for 6 days without food in the hollows expecting when the winds would calm down. When Mansi were called out to join the search Kurikov and his relatives came on their reindeer from Suevat Paul, they behave normally and did not show any signs of fear or remorse for what might have happened to the hikers, but on the contrary they were very compassionate and provided vigorous assistance in the search.

Questioned Pashin (signature)

Interrogator Assitant Attorney Lawyer I Class Kuzminyh

How we interpret this statement by Pashin is important and it has been questioned here. The timeline seems wrong to the discovery of the tent.

https://dyatlovpass.com/when-was-the-tent-found

Pashin doesn't give dates for the discovery of the tent in his testimony, it seems like a very general statement but his companion Cheglakov does and states it's the day following the discovery of the hikers ski track's.  Another mistake of dates? 

( Just to note, I have been involved in interviews and seen other people's notes, I have said things inaccurately and observed the interviewer recall or write things wrongly, it is better to write a statement for accuracy for both parties than do it from a verbal encounter IMO.)

July 11, 2023, 12:02:57 AM
Reply #2

KathleenDSmith1

Everyone:

The night of the Tragic Incident, we honestly have photos of the weather, but it took 20 days to 21 days to have a Search and Rescue party to find the hikers, what I'm talking about is the "Weather"...Pashin states .. he identifies Ski tracks how...look at the photos of the day/night of the tragic incident.

Thanks
Kathleen Dee Smith

July 11, 2023, 01:18:10 AM
Reply #3

Ziljoe

I would hazard a guess that it depends of the weather conditions. We know that certain weather conditions cause raised foot prints like the ones observed by the searcher's.

Some of the snow is softer in the woods and paths . When the tourists use their skis, or possibly walk at times , it is in single file , like a train , carriages , one behind the other . This makes an obvious scar through the snow , where the snow is soft enough. Although when the searcher's find the ski tracks, they won't be crisp , sharp tracks, more likely a raised surface or line going across the landscape.

Ski tracks will be more visible, or last longer in the forest where the wind and fresh snow will have less opportunity to erode the tracks.

The manti skis are wider and therefore don't sink in to the snow as much. 

July 11, 2023, 04:30:51 PM
Reply #4

KathleenDSmith1

Everyone:

During the 20 days to 21 days of waiting period for the Search and Rescue party to arrive at Mount  Otorten.
Rescuers:
There was a telegram though, but from a different group that was in the same area (Blinov's group), so the institute's directorate was not informed about the negligence. The search began only at the insistence of the parents of the hikers...

On February 23 1959:Slobtsov wrote:
"On the top, where we were brought in by helicopter, we saw no tracks. The next day was dedicated to some useless searches along the Lozva river. That very day we came to the banks of the Auspiya, where we knew that Dyatlov was intending to create his storage depot. Sure enough, on the left bank of this river we found some old ski tracks. A radio message was sent by our search team operator, and we received the following message from our fellow rescue group: ‘We’re six or ten kilometers from the Auspiya and we’ve found narrow sports ski tracks, different to the wide tracks of the Mansi skis. It’s a good trail made by a number of people, and is probably 10-15 days old, very easy to follow in the forest, but almost invisible in open places. The track goes to the ridge, where of course it disappears due to wind and snow drifts.’"

Last Entry of IGOR DYATLOV:

31 January 1959
Weather today is a bit worse – wind (west), snowing (probably from the pines), since the sky is perfectly clear.
Started relatively early (around 10 am). Got back on the Mansi trail. (Up to now we are following a Mansi trail on which not so long passed a hunter with deer.)
Yesterday it seems we stumbled upon his resting stop. Deer didn't go any further. The hunter took the beaten trail by himself, we are following in his steps.
Had a surprisingly good overnight, air is warm and dry, though it’s -18°C to -24°C. Walking is especially hard today. We can't see the trail, have to grope our way through at times. Can’t do more than 1.5-2 km (1 mile) per hour.
Trying out new ways to clear the path. The first in line drops his backpack, skis forward for five minutes, comes back for a 10-15 minute break, then catches up with the group. That’s one way to keep laying ski tracks non-stop. Hard on the second hiker though, who has to follow the new trail with full gear on his back. We gradually leave the Auspiya valley, it’s upwards all the way but goes rather smoothly. Thin birch grove replaces firs. The end of forest is getting closer. Wind is western, warm, piercing, with speed like the draft from airplanes at take-off. Firn, open spaces. I can't even think of setting up storage here. It's nearly 4. Have to start looking for a place to pitch the tent. We go south in the Auspiya valley. Seems this place has the deepest snow. Wind not strong, snow 1.2-2 m (3-4 ft) deep. We’re exhausted, but start setting up for the night. Firewood is scarce, mostly damp firs. We build the campfire on the logs, too tired to dig a fire pit. Dinner’s in the tent. Nice and warm. Can’t imagine such comfort on the ridge, with howling wind outside, hundreds of kilometers away from human settlements.
Dyatlov (last record in the diary)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 04:40:26 PM by KathleenDSmith1 »

July 12, 2023, 08:45:52 AM
Reply #5

Axelrod

Forrester Pashin was illiterate and could'n white texts, surely.
And his wintess testimony is very similar to one of Cheglakov.
So, his witness testimony was written by somebody else, e.g. by prosecutor.

How they tetextes exact distance in kilometers?

July 21, 2023, 11:30:42 PM
Reply #6

KathleenDSmith1

Everyone:

I found it..."Testimony of Pashin" I snipped a screenshot regarding Topic...I read a lot so I tried to understand what going in past history Dyatlov Pass Forum.....I highlighted in blue, so is the point of discussion of "modern conspiracy theorists " ???? 
copied and paste this section:
Interestingly, students Slobtsov and Sharavin, who were the "first to discover" the tent on February 26, do not see next to it tracks from Pashin and Cheglakov ski who were there two days ago. They were probably covered in snow. And if so, then apart from Pashin and Cheglakov days earlier, to the tent could have been any number of people without leaving tracks. These people could have forgotten a flashlight on the roof of the tent, the battery of which did not have time to discharge in the cold. However, Pashin and Cheglakov could have left the flashlight. But why they didn't they report the loss? A flashlight at that time was a valuable item.

Thanks
Kathleen Dee Smith

July 22, 2023, 06:26:57 AM
Reply #7

Ziljoe