Factual Information > Events before the incident

Team Dyatlov's division of labor (esp. watch duty)?

(1/4) > >>

RMK:
The diaries of "Team Dyatlov" refer several times to the tasks that had to be done to keep their expedition going, e.g. preparing food, waxing skis, making camp, and packing up in the morning.  Certainly, there seems to have been some contention over the task of reinforcing the stitching of the tent, which seemed to need doing on a near-daily basis.  Anyhow, my guess is that some work was considered an "all-hands" sort of job, whereas other responsibilities were rotated among group members.  But, is there anything known from reliable sources about how Dyatlov & co. apportioned these necessary chores?

I'm especially curious about how nighttime watch duty worked.  I think I have a pretty good idea, but I have no clue how correct I am.  So, please tell me right or wrong I might be here...  Each night, the two hikers on watch duty dress more warmly than the rest.  One watchperson is on duty for the first half of the night, during which time the other watchperson sleeps.  The one on duty sits awake next to the tent entrance, whereas the other sleeps at the rear of the tent (that is, in the draftiest and second-draftiest positions in the tent, respectively, although the rear is also close to the stove).  Halfway through the night, the first-shift watchperson wakes their second-shift counterpart, and the two switch places.  For the second half of the night, the second-shift watchperson sits awake by the entrance to the tent, while the first-shift watchperson sleeps.

Also, apparently whoever is on watch duty wears a second wristwatch during their shift, to ensure they don't lose track of time??  Is that a documented fact, or is it merely an attempt to explain why Thibeaux-Brignolle had two watches on his wrist?

(Sorry if my post seems overly verbose--I just wanted to make sure it's clear.  This is my first post on this board, but I've been lurking here long enough to know that a lot of users here aren't native speakers of English, and that this community seems to rely a lot on machine translation.)

Jean Daniel Reuss:

--- Quote from: RMK on November 21, 2020, 02:47:09 PM ---..................................
 The one on duty .................

--- End quote ---

1)  ••• I also think there were one or two hikers on night duty who stayed dressed to be able to work outside. But I think these two hikers slept indoors when conditions were good.

The hikers in the group were on holiday in a wild, isolated and almost deserted area.

Normally there were no worries apart from the expected natural difficulties of cold and wind.

On the other hand there was a risk, but it was neither dramatic nor significant.
The risk was that the force of the wind would tear off one or more of the tent pegs on the snow-covered surface.

Then you had to be able to get out immediately so that you could replant the pegs in the snow.

Each night, one hiker on night duty, dressed more warmly than the rest, but slept inside.

It was useless to stay outside to guard because there was nothing to see outside.

When a gust of wind stronger than the others tore a peg out (which was a difficult possibility to eliminate) then the tent canvas would collapse (and probably the hikers were awake).

Then the hiker on nigtht duty, the one who was fully dressed, would go outside alone and quicly, and could (in principle) repair the damage in a few minutes, by re-securing the tent.

The other hikers could quietly lie down inside to rest and sleep.

2)  •••    Under normal circumstances, I think that the division of tasks in Dyatlov's group would have gone without difficulty. But this was an exceptional time because there remains what I call :  "the mystery of the sudden change in Luydmila (Lyuda) Dubinina's mental state". See :

Teddy :  Victims and Case Files > Victims > Lyudmila Dubinina > Lyudmila Dubinina's premonition of her tragic death
May 12, 2019, 04:31:56 AM
https://forum.dyatlovpass.com/index.php?topic=433.0

sabine : May 12, 2019, 08:59:04 AM      =>    Reply #1
https://forum.dyatlovpass.com/index.php?topic=433.msg5845#msg5845

... But  the big question remains: what caused this deterioration of her mood ? ...

As a matter of fact Dubinina had written in her diary :
".......................................
The mood is evil (horrible). Seems it is going to be evil (horrible) for about two more days. I am mad as hell (as a devil)"
..........................................."

sabine : May 12, 2019, 08:59:04 AM      =>    Reply #1
    "What's really odd about these few sentences is that Lyuda doesn't give us the slightest hint, why her mood is so bad.
       This is very interesting insofar as she seems to know quite well what causes her bad mood and when it will end.
       To me it seems that she knows quite well what exactly is upsetting her! Unfortunately we will never know what it was
       Is it possible that she spotted something in her current location and situation which struck her in a very negative way? Did she notice something which struck her as  bad, but she hesites to put it down in writing ?......................

Who could she have met in Vizhay?

Dubinina had written in her diary :
"...for about two more days..."
Two days later the hikers are at North-2. Maybe Dubinina was planning to find something or someone at North-2 that would have stopped her discomfort or anxiety ?

And why Lyuda's pre-and postmortem injuries were more horrific than the injuries of all other group members ?

I suspect that there is a psychological clue here that is very important and could lead to complete changes in the DPI explanations.
I am searching, I am searching but I have yet not found...

3) •••     You are right to be too verbose, I am too, because the main thing is to be well understood by everyone (if possible).
I am not a native speaker of English, and I rely a lot on machine translation.

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: RMK on November 21, 2020, 02:47:09 PM ---The diaries of "Team Dyatlov" refer several times to the tasks that had to be done to keep their expedition going, e.g. preparing food, waxing skis, making camp, and packing up in the morning.  Certainly, there seems to have been some contention over the task of reinforcing the stitching of the tent, which seemed to need doing on a near-daily basis.  Anyhow, my guess is that some work was considered an "all-hands" sort of job, whereas other responsibilities were rotated among group members.  But, is there anything known from reliable sources about how Dyatlov & co. apportioned these necessary chores?

I'm especially curious about how nighttime watch duty worked.  I think I have a pretty good idea, but I have no clue how correct I am.  So, please tell me right or wrong I might be here...  Each night, the two hikers on watch duty dress more warmly than the rest.  One watchperson is on duty for the first half of the night, during which time the other watchperson sleeps.  The one on duty sits awake next to the tent entrance, whereas the other sleeps at the rear of the tent (that is, in the draftiest and second-draftiest positions in the tent, respectively, although the rear is also close to the stove).  Halfway through the night, the first-shift watchperson wakes their second-shift counterpart, and the two switch places.  For the second half of the night, the second-shift watchperson sits awake by the entrance to the tent, while the first-shift watchperson sleeps.

Also, apparently whoever is on watch duty wears a second wristwatch during their shift, to ensure they don't lose track of time??  Is that a documented fact, or is it merely an attempt to explain why Thibeaux-Brignolle had two watches on his wrist?

(Sorry if my post seems overly verbose--I just wanted to make sure it's clear.  This is my first post on this board, but I've been lurking here long enough to know that a lot of users here aren't native speakers of English, and that this community seems to rely a lot on machine translation.)

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately we dont have a lot of information regarding SET DUTIES. And of course Routines or Duties can change depending on the circumstances.

RidgeWatcher:
We must also take into account that Lyuda was the most staunch and committed Communist in the group. She was also the most vocal of the group.

I am wondering if she was actually threatened in Vizhay, verbally with violence or even death and enough so that she felt if she had informed the Dyatlov group in Vizhay there would be serious ramifications either to her group or the locals, or even both. Lyuda deferred her anger and rage for what she thought would be two days.

Two days would get the Dyatlov hikers to 2nd Northern which would be far enough away for safety (a miscalculation). Maybe by that time Dyatlov and Semyon were starting to disagree with each other and Lyuda just kept the threats to herself, but the threats festered in her mind and she started to isolate herself, from the group and her usual self, changing her personality, temporarily.

They were attacked and killed on Dyatlov Pass, so wouldn't that support serious threats being made to Lyuda in Vizhay? Perhaps if one of the men in the Dyatlov group had said something in Vizhay the attack would have happened there but they were unaware of any such issues or maybe they didn't want to see them and just wanted to get on with the tour. Maybe the attackers felt more comfortable in Vizhay telling Lyuda how they felt because she was a woman. What makes some sense then is the Vizhay attackers would have to know that the Dyatlov group would have to come back through Vizhay on their way back, so then they would need to attack farther north than any settlement.

RMK:
Jean Daniel Reuss, thank you for your reply.  I have read "Lyudmila Dubinina's premonition of her tragic death" and the thread about it.  I am not sure what to make of Dubinina's irritability and neglect of her duties, except that it must be out-of-character for her, because otherwise, she never would have been invited on the Dyatlov expedition, which is a Category III trek.

--- Quote from: sarapuk on November 23, 2020, 05:33:35 PM ---Unfortunately we dont have a lot of information regarding SET DUTIES.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I was afraid of that.  And compounding the lack of information is the fact that the duties would have been somewhat idiosyncratic to the Dyatlov party.  After all, they were using two tents stitched together, and using a custom stove that Dyatlov himself designed and built.

--- Quote from: RidgeWatcher on November 23, 2020, 05:53:03 PM ---We must also take into account that Lyuda was the most staunch and committed Communist in the group.

--- End quote ---
Do you have a source for that piece of information?  I have seen that statement asserted as fact elsewhere on this board, but I have not yet seen anything in the primary-source documents that says Dubinina was particularly fervent in Communist ideology.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version