Theories Discussion > Wolverine

Wolverine

<< < (22/23) > >>

tenne:
"For example, wolverines use theirs to mark territory, and minks use theirs as a repellant. Skunks are the only animal who use theirs as a defense mechanism"

"The wolverine stores its food in caches to eat later. It spray its caches of food with a stinky musk that keeps other animals away"

I can't find any sources that say that wolverines spray as a defense.

So could someone point me to a source that say they spray as a defense. They spray to mark territory, to atract mates and to stop other animals from eating their food

they are a scavenger and no scavenger is going to leave food behind. they spray their own food and then eat it so why wasn't the food in the tent eaten?

why were the bodies also not scavanged

and why wouldn't the wolverine follow its nose to the cache and dig out that food?

These are the natural behaviours of wolverines

Ziljoe:

--- Quote from: tenne on January 22, 2023, 12:48:20 PM ---"For example, wolverines use theirs to mark territory, and minks use theirs as a repellant. Skunks are the only animal who use theirs as a defense mechanism"
--- End quote ---

If you are talking about the glans and scent markings, I think the Wolverine rubs it's underside on its cache. I also believe it has two different types of scent/smell.

--- Quote from: tenne on January 22, 2023, 12:48:20 PM ---"The wolverine stores its food in caches to eat later. It spray its caches of food with a stinky musk that keeps other animals away"
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if this keeps others away or its for finding its own cache again. (Might not spray but rub)But this point kind of argues the case to why the bodies weren't scavenged by any animals.

--- Quote from: tenne on January 22, 2023, 12:48:20 PM ---I can't find any sources that say that wolverines spray as a defense.
--- End quote ---

Igor B goes into a bit of research, his links are there to be read. It's rare that they do so because they mostly can get out of trouble. There is a report saying they can spray up to 3 meters.

--- Quote from: tenne on January 22, 2023, 12:48:20 PM ---So could someone point me to a source that say they spray as a defense. They spray to mark territory, to atract mates and to stop other animals from eating their food
--- End quote ---

They mark their territory .

--- Quote from: tenne on January 22, 2023, 12:48:20 PM ---they are a scavenger and no scavenger is going to leave food behind. they spray their own food and then eat it so why wasn't the food in the tent eaten?
--- End quote ---

The food may not have been eaten because it wasn't worth the fight, they may have driven it off. The Wolverine doesn't have to eat everything at every moment. Also if it had sprayed , if the beast does so and can do, then according to the theory that's being put forward, it's the chemical spray that answers all your questions. Wolverine won't come back, it's had enough stress, tourists are covered in the chemical as is everything in the tent. Nothing will go near the smell.

--- Quote from: tenne on January 22, 2023, 12:48:20 PM ---why were the bodies also not scavanged
--- End quote ---

Because of the chemical in the spray.

--- Quote from: tenne on January 22, 2023, 12:48:20 PM ---and why wouldn't the wolverine follow its nose to the cache and dig out that food?
--- End quote ---

It maybe went the other direction . Who knows, it may have had plenty of cache's of its own in another valley.

--- Quote from: tenne on January 22, 2023, 12:48:20 PM ---These are the natural behaviours of wolverines

--- End quote ---

What are the natural behaviours, it's poorly researched animal. Have a read of Igor B's links, he gives you the links in his posts. Loads of other useful information besides the Wolverine that might give you answers . There's historical information too about Zolotaryov etc. All worth a read even if you may disagree. There's a golden nugget in everyone's ideas, just have to look for it.

tenne:
I did read his links, all I could find was posts saying what he said but nothing from a source that I would believe. Posting a link saying this is proof and it leads to a post saying what I said is the truth (paraphrasing) doesn't prove anything. Now I could be missing something and it wouldn't be the first time but I'm satisfied that this leads no where.

I did my own research into wolverines and nothing I read from scientists, animal experts etc says anything like what he posts.  But it was a fun rabbit hole to go down

tenne:
https://taina.li/forum/index.php?topic=6099.0

Topic: Investigative experiment - "chemical attack" of wolverine

for anyone interested in some hands on investigation as opposed to people who have zero practical experience being keyboard experts. that forum has a lot of people who walk the walk, not just type it but the translation causes some issues at times

for the record, there is zero scientific evidence that wolverines spray, zero, but he was interested if the smell would linger IF they did

Ziljoe:
Who's the"opposed to people who have zero practical experience being keyboard experts"?

Please elaborate.

Have you read all of Igor b's thread.

I look forward to your analysis. TIA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version