Factual Information > Events before the incident

Team Dyatlov's division of labor (esp. watch duty)?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Naufragia:
From the notes of the journalist Grigoriev:

"In the tent usually the two sleeping at the two ends do not undress [because it is cold]. And the middle und rest undress. There are no attendants at night. If someone has to be on duty, then the next day he will be tired and everyone will have to fall behind."

Grigoriev seems to be recording the account of Yuri Yarovoy, a journalist present at the searcher, at this point in his notes - see https://dyatlovpass.com/grigoriev-2.

I also have not found anything in the primary source documents on the main site attesting to the strength of Dubinina's commitment to Communism, just references on this forum and elsewhere on the web to secondary sources which appear to be quoting people who knew her.

RMK:

--- Quote from: Naufragia on November 25, 2020, 04:07:50 AM ---From the notes of the journalist Grigoriev:

"In the tent usually the two sleeping at the two ends do not undress [because it is cold]. And the middle und rest undress. There are no attendants at night. If someone has to be on duty, then the next day he will be tired and everyone will have to fall behind."

Grigoriev seems to be recording the account of Yuri Yarovoy, a journalist present at the searcher, at this point in his notes - see https://dyatlovpass.com/grigoriev-2.

--- End quote ---
Yes, thanks.  I've read Grigoriev's notebooks.  The passage you quoted was part of my motivation for posting this thread, to ask for clarification.  I was unsure if something was lost in translation there, or if Grigoriev was mistaken.  See, elsewhere on this forum, Nigel Evans has posted some decent reasons why the Dyatlov party would want to have someone awake at all times overnight (and since this is Nigel, of course one of the reasons involves a toxic gas):

--- Quote from: Nigel Evans on May 07, 2020, 08:48:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: Marley on May 07, 2020, 08:18:22 AM ---Okay, but that confuses me even more. If keeping watch means lying awake in the tent, what's this person looking out for? What possible dangers is (s)he supposed to monitor from inside the tent? Why does (s)he needs a watch? No, why does the night watcher need two watches when there are four, five, six people wearing a watch in that same tent with him/her? huh1
What's the story behind this explanation?

--- End quote ---

* Ensuring the tent doesn't get buried in snow is a good one (CO2 asphyxiation).
* Ensure the tent remains secure in the wind, have to stay dressed in case you have to go outside to make adjustments.
* If the stove was in use, CO poisoning would be a concern.
* Someone's got to wake the group at the correct time or they could lose a day from the plan.
* If someone goes to the toilet during the night someone has to be alert to them not returning promptly or they'd die.
--- End quote ---
I would add to that list of reasons the simple necessity of keeping the fire in the stove going, and making sure that nothing outside the stove burns.  So, I'll grant that there is less need for a watchperson on nights when the stove is not in use.

--- Quote from: Naufragia on November 25, 2020, 04:07:50 AM ---I also have not found anything in the primary source documents on the main site attesting to the strength of Dubinina's commitment to Communism, just references on this forum and elsewhere on the web to secondary sources which appear to be quoting people who knew her.

--- End quote ---
Quotes from people who knew her are good enough to establish personal characteristics like political views.  Can you direct me to any secondary sources with such quotes?  I've read the interview with her brother on the main site (dyatlovpass.com, of course), and he doesn't say anything about her being a Communist hard-liner.

sarapuk:
On the question of Watch Duties.  If you have ever camped out in the wilds have you ever thought about having a Night Watch Keeper.  I havnt.  I would only do that if I was in an area with dangerous wild animals or maybe an area where there were Bandits or such like people. But the Dyatlov Group didnt carry any weapons, so they were not expecting dangerous wild animals. And also they would not have been expecting Bandits or such like people. So why did they have Night Watch Keepers.

RMK:

--- Quote from: sarapuk on November 26, 2020, 12:54:21 PM ---On the question of Watch Duties.  If you have ever camped out in the wilds have you ever thought about having a Night Watch Keeper.  I havnt.

--- End quote ---
Nor have I.  It's the sort of thing I associate with soldiers in the field, who post sentries to guard their camp overnight.  That's why I was surprised to read about Dyatlov team members "on duty" each night, and I've not been able to discern from what I've read so far what exactly the nature of that duty is.  Perhapts it's merely that two people each night dress more warmly than the others, sleep at the ends of the tent, and are responsible for going outside in case there's a problem with the tent.  That much I could understand.  But expecting someone to be awake at all times during the night?  That's asking quite a lot from a team of recreational ski-hikers on holiday!

--- Quote from: sarapuk on November 26, 2020, 12:54:21 PM ---So why did they have Night Watch Keepers.

--- End quote ---
Well, on the other hand, Nigel gives several credible reasons for posting watchkeepers in that quote upthread.  And as I said, maintaining the stove alone could be a good enough reason to post watch.  You don't go to sleep before quenching your campfire, right?  Well, what if your "campfire" is actually inside your tent, contained in a wood-burning stove, and you need (or at least really want) the fire to keep warm overnight?  What I have in mind here is how I've read Finland's army does wintertime infantry operations in the field.  Finnish soldiers sleep in 7-man tents that are heated with a wood-burning stove.  During the day, each man in a 7-man squad carries his share of the components of the tent and stove, and of the supply of firewood.  Each night, the 7 men rotate fire-watch duty, which duty includes keeping the fire lit.

But, then again, I'm now talking about soldiers who spend 1/7 of the night on watch, and not tourists who spend half the night on watch (albeit not every night).  Different things.

Manti:
Hi, I'm new here.

I assume that you are wondering about watch duties to explain why some were better dressed than the others.

However, to me it seems like the group must have left the tent before settling in for the night:

* I have read somewhere that the stove was not assembled. I cannot imagine they would want to go to sleep without heating that night. So this means it wasn't assembled yet
* I have also read that crumbles were found in the tent, so they could have been eating their dinner when something interrupted them. Also an onion was found in Zolotaryonv's trouser pocket. I think that points to being interrupted while cutting or eating onion and putting it in your pocket, otherwise you wouldn't carry it around there unless it's some sort of superstitious thing
So I think the ones better dressed may not have undressed yet, or went out to for eg. relieve themselves (although even to do that, I would put on at least boots).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version