March 28, 2024, 11:46:57 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Historical Yeti Type Creatures  (Read 7839 times)

April 01, 2021, 09:12:42 PM
Read 7839 times

KFinn

I'm big in lists.  They help me organize this chaotic, neuro-atypical brain of mine.

To me, the first resistance one hits with the menk as possible involvement with DPI is the argument "they aren't real," followed by lack of corroborating evidence at the scene.

First argument is the more important that the second.  Menk, Bigfoot, Yeti, Sasquatch all have folklore stories told.  We can even go back in history and see hairy, bipdal, humanoid figures.  The grendel in the Beowulf saga.  Wendigos are kind of similar.  There are illuminated manuscripts from the middle ages that depict man like beings completely covered in hair.  The represents two lists actually: Yeti, Sasquatch, Bigfoot, Menk have all been seen, some have been videoed or photoed.  The second list are actual folklore and myths, but those often come from some bit of reality.  Grandpa and his mother.  Would we classify them as Bigfoot?  Wendigo?  I know other  countries have their myths.  What do any of you have in your folklore or bedtime stories that could be along these lines? 
-Ren

April 02, 2021, 03:52:59 AM
Reply #1

Nigel Evans

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Footprints-End-Strangeness-Phenomenon/dp/B0882N61XN

Volume 1 (which i'm two thirds through) has been written to answer exactly this question. Vol 1 is concerned with folklore mainly in the european and native american tradition, occasionally asia (russia). Vol 2 is concerned with evidence so looking forward to that.

Vol 1 is a dry read mainly because it is lists of lists with added text!

Historical candidates for "british bigfoot" would include the woodwose and the boggart.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 03:59:53 AM by Nigel Evans »

April 02, 2021, 08:52:16 AM
Reply #2

KFinn

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Where-Footprints-End-Strangeness-Phenomenon/dp/B0882N61XN

Volume 1 (which i'm two thirds through) has been written to answer exactly this question. Vol 1 is concerned with folklore mainly in the european and native american tradition, occasionally asia (russia). Vol 2 is concerned with evidence so looking forward to that.

Vol 1 is a dry read mainly because it is lists of lists with added text!

Historical candidates for "british bigfoot" would include the woodwose and the boggart.

Thank you!!  And its finally Friday so I can get this book!!!  (Vol 2 was on Kindle Unlimited but vol 1 was not, lol!)
-Ren

April 02, 2021, 08:55:04 AM
Reply #3

KFinn

I'm big in lists.  They help me organize this chaotic, neuro-atypical brain of mine.

To me, the first resistance one hits with the menk as possible involvement with DPI is the argument "they aren't real," followed by lack of corroborating evidence at the scene.

First argument is the more important that the second.  Menk, Bigfoot, Yeti, Sasquatch all have folklore stories told.  We can even go back in history and see hairy, bipdal, humanoid figures.  The grendel in the Beowulf saga.  Wendigos are kind of similar.  There are illuminated manuscripts from the middle ages that depict man like beings completely covered in hair.  The represents two lists actually: Yeti, Sasquatch, Bigfoot, Menk have all been seen, some have been videoed or photoed.  The second list are actual folklore and myths, but those often come from some bit of reality.  Grandpa and his mother.  Would we classify them as Bigfoot?  Wendigo?  I know other  countries have their myths.  What do any of you have in your folklore or bedtime stories that could be along these lines?

Holy crap the typos *sighs*  I apologize for that.  It seems my night time self has once again figured out how to get around the password encoded internet access set up to STOP my nighttime posting.  At least I can see where I was going with this, for a change, lol! 
-Ren

April 02, 2021, 01:28:44 PM
Reply #4

Nigel Evans

April 02, 2021, 05:03:33 PM
Reply #5

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient

Looks like Nigel has found a book or books that answer your question reasonably well. When I was a kid my parents used to take me to The Isle Of Man on holiday and it allowed my Dad to watch the TT Races because he was a Biker. I remember the Glens and they always seemed mysterious to a kid growing up and eager for adventure. And on Coach or Bus trips we had the Guide point out the famous Fairy Bridge where you had to say hello to the little people, ie, the Fairies. And it was taken seriously in those days, not sure about nowadays. In Britain we have the Big Cat legends, although many of the sightings are definitely real down to Earth Big Cats probably the offspring of ones that were released when the Law changed in the 1970's making it illegal to keep them as pets and many people simply let them loose. And there are also real Legends like The Beast Of Bodmin Moor.
DB