March 28, 2024, 02:41:10 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Expedition Unknown on Discovery Channel  (Read 19183 times)

August 26, 2019, 01:16:14 PM
Read 19183 times

Teddy

Administrator

I will be appearing on the Discovery Channel program Expedition Unknown as an expert on Dyatlov Pass, the subject of a new episode
'Mystery of Dead Mountain' premiering in the US Wednesday, August 28th at 9PM EST.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:48:09 AM by Teddy »

August 26, 2019, 01:19:43 PM
Reply #1

Teddy

Administrator
Discovery Newsroom

'This season, Josh Gates connects with innovative researchers and uses cutting-edge technology to tackle history’s most challenging mysteries. The search for answers – and adventure – will take him into the most extreme climates on the planet, as he braves sub-zero temperatures to snowmobile across the Siberian Tundra investigating one of the coldest cases of the Cold War: the baffling deaths of nine hikers on Russia’s infamous Dead Mountain.'

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:48:21 AM by Teddy »

August 26, 2019, 01:43:25 PM
Reply #2

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
 thumb1

Glad you made it back.   shock1   lol1
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:48:31 AM by Teddy »
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

August 26, 2019, 02:08:40 PM
Reply #3

Teddy

Administrator
thumb1

Glad you made it back.   shock1   lol1

I was insured to the hilt. We all were. So far I can say that this is the second greatest miracle in my life, after this.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:48:41 AM by Teddy »

August 26, 2019, 04:01:20 PM
Reply #4

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
You mean it wasn't the kgb or yeti!?!?    shock1

nose1
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:48:50 AM by Teddy »

August 26, 2019, 10:22:02 PM
Reply #5

Teddy

Administrator
You mean it wasn't the kgb or yeti!?!?    shock1

Oh, but it is a Yeti, recruited as a double agent by both CIA and then KGB.
I am wearing the Yeti costume in the episode.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:49:00 AM by Teddy »

August 27, 2019, 08:49:16 AM
Reply #6

Star man

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
Sounds good.  Will have to try and find that episode when it is available.

Regards
Star man
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:49:10 AM by Teddy »

August 27, 2019, 12:32:57 PM
Reply #7

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
They post them here to watch AFTER they air, but I couldn't tell you how long it takes for them to post it.  Could be a week for all I know.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:49:20 AM by Teddy »

August 27, 2019, 04:10:09 PM
Reply #8

Star man

I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks

Star man
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:49:41 AM by Teddy »

August 28, 2019, 08:44:16 AM
Reply #9

Teddy

Administrator

On 1:35 I have been called "one of the world's leading experts on the event" - I am brushing a tear from the edge of my eye... I feel like preparing an Oscar speech.

And here is what I look like all dressed like Michelin Man.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:45:23 AM by Teddy »

August 28, 2019, 09:06:37 AM
Reply #10

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Just as a forewarning to our members.

Remember, this show is most likely going sensationalize several theories that you may/may not subscribe to. Think of it more of a click-bait show getting viewers interested by emphasizing the fantastical. 

Just like all the other shows we have seen.... there will likely be no "answers", and the content should be treated as the entertainment that it is.   thumb1
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 08:15:32 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

August 28, 2019, 09:21:17 AM
Reply #11

Teddy

Administrator
100%
I have never made much out of the missing tongue and eyes. But here I am talking about this.
I will publish my notes about the journey. I am allowed after the the episode airs.
One thing I can assure you though - Josh Gates and the crew, Libecki and the Russian support were all amazing professionals. I was truly very lucky with my first encounter with the filming industry and organized expeditions. Episodes like the one you will see tonight are needed to provoke thinking with visuals and reenactments and dramatizations. You have to keep an eye for the facts. Can't just know the case from a movie, but it is an aid to easy the public into the subject. Everybody started with some kind of cookie, I was sucked into the matter by a stupid movie (Devil's Pass).
“If you give a mouse a cookie, he’s going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he’ll probably ask you for a straw. When he’s finished, he’ll ask you for a napkin.”
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:04:48 AM by Teddy »

August 28, 2019, 09:27:16 AM
Reply #12

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator

August 28, 2019, 09:46:33 AM
Reply #13

Morski

Bravo, Teddy! And, what is more, we folks are privileged to be able to keep an eye on the facts, because of this site and forum.  thumb1
"Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it." Mark Twain

August 28, 2019, 11:01:06 AM
Reply #14

Teddy

Administrator
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:01:44 AM by Teddy »

August 28, 2019, 11:07:58 AM
Reply #15

Teddy

Administrator
Part 2 of our Dyatlov Pass investigation - Expedition Unknown's "Siberia's Coldest Case" - is set to premiere Wednesday, September 4, 9PM EST.  declare1

I guess I will have to wait with my memoirs till the second episode airs.

August 28, 2019, 08:39:18 PM
Reply #16

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
For members residing within the US, the show is free to watch as posted on the Discovery Channels website.
https://go.discovery.com/tv-shows/expedition-unknown/

If anyone outside the US cannot view/watch it on their site, shoot me a message and I will see what I can do. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 09:00:15 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

August 29, 2019, 01:12:37 AM
Reply #17

Seeisme

Bravo Teddy! Looking forward to next episode. Sharon

August 29, 2019, 02:13:28 AM
Reply #18

Teddy

Administrator
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:12:55 AM by Teddy »

August 29, 2019, 09:32:44 AM
Reply #19

PghRunner

I was SO excited to watch this episode!  I really enjoy Expedition Unknown, so this was basically my dream episode.  Teddy, you were incredible--I threw a pillow at my husband and said, "That's Teddy!  She runs THE site!"  I'll allow myself one fan-girl moment.

I really liked how the episode knocked several of the theories off rather quickly, especially the Mansi.  It was visually stunning and I really think that the visual context--seeing just how cold Josh was and how absolutely barren the terrain is--put things in a much different perspective.  It's one thing to read about it and look at the stills.  But to see the struggle through the snow and the temperature readings...I don't know, it just gave me the chills.  It made it so alive.

I'm looking forward to next week's episode.  I really hope it sparks more interest and more conversation on the incident!

All the best,
Heather
We're all stories in the end....so make it a good one, eh?

August 29, 2019, 12:03:45 PM
Reply #20

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Gulag killer....   We do know there were no 'reported' missing/escaped prisoners at the time the incident happened, BUT I don't think the theory would be based 'absolutely' on this fact alone. What we do not know is how many missing/escaped prisoners there were in the months and years prior.  There could have been a whole "band" of them out there evading the authorities in the deep wilderness.

Simply writing this theory off the table based on one location out of MANY and on the singular fact that that one location didn't have anyone missing/escaped at the time is premature in my opinion.  Perhaps 'if' the government was embarrassed and wishing to cover it up to maintain the public trust in security etc, it would lend reason and motive to state there were none missing/escaped when there actually were.  In other words, can you really trust the report?

August 29, 2019, 02:48:15 PM
Reply #21

vanadis

Wow, thats amazing!!! bigjoke Cudos to you. Will try to to watch the show!!

August 29, 2019, 02:54:19 PM
Reply #22

PghRunner

Weeeell, I meant more along the lines of the Yeti, based on the "mysterious" photograph.  I'm not a Yeti believer, despite my husband's insistence they're just roaming around.

I think the Gulag killer is a really interesting though and I wish there'd been more time to discuss that one.  I don't really know a lot about that theory, but, based on what you said, it does seem ripe for further exploration.  It'd be a massive undertaking, but it would be really interesting to review records and trace those that went missing/escaped in a range of dates prior to the Incident.  That said, I'm not sure what kind of records would exist and if they would omit certain things.  I'm not well versed in Gulags and how secretive they could be.  It certainly is interesting, though.  Especially, as you noted, admitting failure to be able to keep dangerous criminals locked up could reflect a failure on the government.  That's something they definitely didn't want.  So interesting!  But, I definitely agree that the Gulag "killer" can't as easily be written off.  My only question would be that of motive, but, that's probably a better topic explored on another part of the boards.

So, really, what I'm saying is I don't just want a two part episode, I want a mini-series.  :)
We're all stories in the end....so make it a good one, eh?

August 30, 2019, 01:50:08 AM
Reply #23

Teddy

Administrator
EXPEDITION UNKNOWN: "Mystery of Dead Mountain" DVD version for download (.MOV 1.37 GB)
https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/sgr8b0jUgQ

Provided by Discovery Post Production Coordinator with the words:
"We thank you once again for your enthusiasm, expertise, and tireless hard work on this episode – and we hope you enjoy it!"

August 30, 2019, 04:20:43 AM
Reply #24

Star man

I have only had time to watch about half of it so the team haven’t got to the pass yet.  But so far so good.   thumb1. It doesn’t seem as sensationalised as the discovery monster weekend episode- which is really good. 

So far they have put a line through the Yeti theory based on frame 17 being a hiker - no surprise there but not much other reasoning to why it was deleted.  I suppose Mike Lebeki was rather stung by the way the monster weekend programme was edited?

I look forward to watching the rest.

Regards

Star man

August 30, 2019, 07:42:09 AM
Reply #25

track hunter

Не вижу ничего смешного. Их убили дикие, лесные люди. Две особи.

August 30, 2019, 07:46:15 AM
Reply #26

Teddy

Administrator

Translation:
I do not see anything funny. They were killed by wild, forest people. Two individuals.

Dear track hunter,

• Nobody is laughing.
  • The official language of this forum is English. Members won't understand what you are saying. I know it is difficult to translate with Google but this is what we do when we try Russian forums which is 95% of the net. Have the courtesy please. No hard feelings.

August 30, 2019, 07:49:31 AM
Reply #27

track hunter

Translation:
I do not see anything funny. They were killed by wild, forest people. Two individuals.

Dear track hunter,

• Nobody is laughing.
  • The official language of this forum is English. Members won't understand what you are saying. I know it is difficult to translate with Google but this is what we do when we try Russian forums which is 95% of the net. Have the courtesy please. No hard feelings.
Oк. But I'm not sure that the translator will do this well. Is such a translation good?

August 30, 2019, 07:58:43 AM
Reply #28

Teddy

Administrator
For comments in a forum is OK. We are used since Borzenkov (WAB) is posting essays translated with Google. What I posted as translation to your comment is directly copied from Google. People here will have to do it with same means, but have to copy/paste it first and this will frustrate or draw them back. Anyway - for DP documents Google is tragic, but for comments is OK. I see your English is better than our Russian here (statistically).

August 30, 2019, 08:19:35 AM
Reply #29

track hunter

OK. It’s easier for me, the browser automatically translates English-language sites. I know a little English, but writing in English is difficult.
I have something to say and show. I am familiar with the question of studying bigfoot. In addition, I have hunter friends and unbiased biologists with whom I discussed this version. The conclusions we have are unequivocal. Forest people were involved in the tragedy at the Dyatlov pass. Two.