Victims and Case Files > Case Files

Russian speakers: "Compelling unknown / overwhelming force" - mistranslated?

(1/2) > >>

garybonds:
In english language writing about the Dyatlov Pass Incident it is often stated that the official investigation concluded that the Dyatlov group succumbed to either a "compelling unknown force" or "overwhelming force".

But reading through the Resolution to close the case, from which I believe this originates, I wonder if something hasnt been lost in translation?

The original choice of words in Russian seems to be "стихийная сила".

I am not a Russian speaker so the following observations are from Google Translate and dictionaries online. In other words, I need help from Russian speakers to sort this out.

Google translate suggests two translations for"стихийная сила": "elemental force" or "force of nature". This search on The Russian Free Dictionary seems to imply that "стихийная" has implications of "nature" and is related to e.g. phrases like "natural disaster".

What I'm wondering is if the authors of the report were more or less trying to convey "death from exposure", but with an uncommon turn of phrase?

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: garybonds on October 16, 2019, 01:35:09 AM ---In english language writing about the Dyatlov Pass Incident it is often stated that the official investigation concluded that the Dyatlov group succumbed to either a "compelling unknown force" or "overwhelming force".

But reading through the Resolution to close the case, from which I believe this originates, I wonder if something hasnt been lost in translation?

The original choice of words in Russian seems to be "стихийная сила".

I am not a Russian speaker so the following observations are from Google Translate and dictionaries online. In other words, I need help from Russian speakers to sort this out.

Google translate suggests two translations for"стихийная сила": "elemental force" or "force of nature". This search on The Russian Free Dictionary seems to imply that "стихийная" has implications of "nature" and is related to e.g. phrases like "natural disaster".

What I'm wondering is if the authors of the report were more or less trying to convey "death from exposure", but with an uncommon turn of phrase?

--- End quote ---

This is a good point you raise. Iam surprised that it hasnt cropped up more often in this Forum. A lot can be lost in Translation. I know only to well after investigating and actually searching for a famous Pirates buried Treasure in England. One clue was in the form of a letter written in Dutch. And I deduced 2 possible outcomes. The Treasure has not been found, YET. 

mk:
Good question!  Please help us, Russian speakers!  Online searches include the suggestions "act of God" and "spontaneous strength."

vb64:
Hi, All.

I think, Google translation as "elemental force" is correct.

'стихия' means the active and hostile actions of nature. For example, strong wind and rain, storm at the sea, big forest fire, etc. All of these can be called 'стихия'.

Also, the 'стихия' word can be used for unplanned human actions: 'стихия' of the love - unplanned, fired emotion.

It is also worth noting that the expression "elemental force, which tourists were not able to overcome" in this context is unclear and rarely used in official documents.

In the context of this document, it sounds incomprehensible and mysterious, including for Russian-speaking readers.

neni_cesty_zpet:

--- Quote from: vb64 on April 12, 2020, 04:13:05 PM ---In the context of this document, it sounds incomprehensible and mysterious, including for Russian-speaking readers.

--- End quote ---

That pretty much fits this case, "incomprehensible and mysterious", doesn't it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version