March 28, 2024, 10:11:32 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: "cold" night and "warm" nights  (Read 2597 times)

May 18, 2020, 04:51:13 AM
Read 2597 times

brad112

I believe somewhere on this site it mentions the group was to have so many nights called "cold" nights where they were not to use their stove for heat. I've diligently tried to find it again and can't find that exact info on the site again. It is stated on the site that the last night (February 1,2) they were going to have a "cold" night (no fire/stove) for heat. Can someone direct me to a case file or authoritative reference stating they were planning to have nights with no fire? I'm just wondering if someone is confusing "cold night" for no fire when it simply might mean a colder than normal temperature night like in the quote below from the diaries. Thanks!

"Today is a third cold night on the bank of Auspiya river. We are getting used to it. The stove does a great job. Some of us (Thibeaux and Krivonischenko) think we need to build steam heat in the tent."

brad

May 18, 2020, 05:55:06 AM
Reply #1

Teddy

Administrator
Thanks for asking, because I feel bad that I might have helped a myth to spread. So I am glad to be given opportunity to correct what I said on the radio broadcast.
Spaced Out Radio

I said in the interview that for a trek to be considered category III difficulty the hikers need a certain number of nights where they don't lit a fire i.e. "cold nights". This is not true. The closest to this is that they need certain number of overnights in a tent, not refuge, cottage, house, etc. So where the group pitched their tent doesn't really matter for the category of difficulty. Seasoned hikers explained the choice of place for the tent the night of Feb 1st on the slope without a stove with the fact that the group was training for an expedition in the Subpolar Urals where there is little wood. Hiking groups often had to sleep without a stove. But this is not a requirement. Dyatlov group was under no pressure to meet any requirements or go in any places they were not ready for.