April 27, 2024, 08:51:20 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: help translate tent and snow paragraph  (Read 7012 times)

November 15, 2023, 11:52:24 AM
Reply #30

kylecorbin

I would agree that the ski poles are 1.3 meters long. I am not understanding your point about the snow depths though ? Random red x's on a photo is not particularly accurate? And certainly no more accurate than reading 60 year old text of a witness and saying they were wrong or right.

Slobodin was covered with snow to about 60 cm, half a meter , 1.5 feet or whatever. On that slope.

I certainly don't think a snow slip slide is out of the question but post your theory in detail. Speed it up.

What a wonderful tribute to forever-24-year-old Mr. Kolevatov that this website has made as its opening banner today! Let's remember that there are nine lives lost here that we are trying to memorialize, to say nothing of the future lives we can save if we can help the world understand how to prevent what happened to Mr. Kolevatov and his eight friends.

I spent far more than an hour trying to figure out why I was repeatedly being asked about "sticks" as if the point were obvious, despite there being many sticks of various types in the photos in question. I FINALLY had an aha moment and figured out what the asker meant, but even then the question was based on his obvious misunderstanding of how the stick in question (a ski pole) was positioned, or whether the stick was even intact (instead of just a broken portion - the ski pole supporting the back end of the tent was broken during the tragedy - that might be the one there - we don't know).

That you can look at the ski pole held by Kolevatov in the photo I added and then say "I would agree that the ski poles are 1.3 meters long" indicates you are not serious or are thinking something very different from what I am.

In measuring Kolvatov's ski pole, we cannot be exact, but we can 100% tell whether it is nearer to 130 cm (over 4 feet) or what I said (less than 100 cm). Here's how to calculate it:
If the ski pole is 130 cm tall, then two poles reach 260 cm.
2/9 of the second pole (added to the photo) is above the man's head.
2/9 of 130 cm = 29 cm.
260 cm - 29 cm = 231 cm = the man's height.
So if the ski pole is 130 cm, the man is 231 cm.
That's 91 inches, or ALMOST 8 FEET TALL.
If you think that ANYBODY in Dyatlov's group was anywhere near 8 feet tall, then there is nothing I can do for you. Obviously that ski pole is FAR shorter than 130 cm, since the man (Kolevatov) is far shorter than 231 cm (this website's autopsy report says 174 cm). That ski pole was probably 98 cm. I had no idea what the math I was about to perform would turn out to be when I started all this two hours ago, but I have to admit to being very pleased that it turned out that I was exactly correct when I said yesterday that "It's obviously less than 1 meter tall."

Last week I emailed you an illustration of the snow depths, including those of the bodies on the slope, and described all that to you in detail. What is the point of mentioning Slobodin's snow depth to me here when you already know that I know it?

> I am not understanding your point about the snow depths
It was not MY point at all. It was a side topic that someone else added to this discussion thread, and it has hindered things a lot, and wasted several hours.

Given the proclivity of readers to misunderstand the tiny amount of information I've posted so far of what I've discovered (an enormously complicated sequence of events that has never occurred before or since, complicated by countless errors of witnesses, with both main witnesses thinking something very different happened than what actually happened, and with translation problems making things worse), there is zero chance that I will be "speeding up" anything. It's pointless to reveal an overall solution to people when the language barrier can't even allow them to get past the first hurdle.

November 15, 2023, 12:54:09 PM
Reply #31

Axelrod

I can say that in the USSR only the metric system of measurement was used,
and therefore it is strange to see in the text such units of length as feet, inches, yards, miles.
I think that it is not appropriate to use non-standard units of measurement in English translated text , and we should indicate archaic foreign measurements only as in parentheses.

Human height is measured in meters and centimeters (except for the story “Mumu” by the writer Turgenev from the 19th century). 169 cm or 1 meter 68 cm. The only place where they are now used as a monitor diagonal, and also for floppy disks (although their inches do not correspond to the size of floppy disks.)

The most difficult unit to understand is Fahrenheit. Whenever they areused, these digits and numbers mean nothing for human understanding, because no one knows how to convert them into normal temperatures.

Decimal point may be dot or comma (0,5 and 0.5), depending on concrete person.
----
As for poles and skis, I can say that Dyatlov’s team has archaic equipment even for 1959.
I suppose that the Ural Polytechnic Institute used pre-war equipment.

My mother was born in 1933, lived In Serov in 1953-1961 (the sity passed by Dyatlov group) she is about the same age as Kolevatov, but her ski bindings and poles were from metal, i/e/ the same as the skis of a rescue team, in the photo next to the backpacks from the tent.The height of the stick is 135 cm (diameter 1.4cm), as an aluminum stick, plus a 2-3 cm of iron pin.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 03:44:59 AM by Axelrod »

November 15, 2023, 12:54:59 PM
Reply #32

Ziljoe

What a wonderful tribute to forever-24-year-old Mr. Kolevatov that this website has made as its opening banner today! Let's remember that there are nine lives lost here that we are trying to memorialize, to say nothing of the future lives we can save if we can help the world understand how to prevent what happened to Mr. Kolevatov and his eight friends.

That's a bit melodramatic. I would suggest that if you want to help the world and save future lives, I would put your energies in to local and current issues like the homeless. 

I spent far more than an hour trying to figure out why I was repeatedly being asked about "sticks" as if the point were obvious, despite there being many sticks of various types in the photos in question. I FINALLY had an aha moment and figured out what the asker meant, but even then the question was based on his obvious misunderstanding of how the stick in question (a ski pole) was positioned, or whether the stick was even intact (instead of just a broken portion - the ski pole supporting the back end of the tent was broken during the tragedy - that might be the one there - we don't know).
I agree, we don't know  which stick is which.

That you can look at the ski pole held by Kolevatov in the photo I added and then say "I would agree that the ski poles are 1.3 meters long" indicates you are not serious or are thinking something very different from what I am.

I don't know if that photo is a picture of a broken ski pole or an optical illusions making the pole look shorter than it might actually be.

In measuring Kolvatov's ski pole, we cannot be exact, but we can 100% tell whether it is nearer to 130 cm (over 4 feet) or what I said (less than 100 cm). Here's how to calculate it:
If the ski pole is 130 cm tall, then two poles reach 260 cm.
2/9 of the second pole (added to the photo) is above the man's head.
2/9 of 130 cm = 29 cm.
260 cm - 29 cm = 231 cm = the man's height.
So if the ski pole is 130 cm, the man is 231 cm.
That's 91 inches, or ALMOST 8 FEET TALL.
If you think that ANYBODY in Dyatlov's group was anywhere near 8 feet tall, then there is nothing I can do for you. Obviously that ski pole is FAR shorter than 130 cm, since the man (Kolevatov) is far shorter than 231 cm (this website's autopsy report says 174 cm). That ski pole was probably 98 cm. I had no idea what the math I was about to perform would turn out to be when I started all this two hours ago, but I have to admit to being very pleased that it turned out that I was exactly correct when I said yesterday that "It's obviously less than 1 meter tall."

Kyle, it's more of a worry that you could think anyone else here believe anyone is 8 foot tall from the group. I have no idea where you get the accuracy of 98cm from a photo? My understanding of cross country skiing is that the poles need to be long, at least 1.3 meters There are reasons for that.
[/quote]

Last week I emailed you an illustration of the snow depths, including those of the bodies on the slope, and described all that to you in detail. What is the point of mentioning Slobodin's snow depth to me here when you already know that I know it?
I mention it because you put red x's on the picture saying the depth of the snow was less than one foot . We know Slobodin was on top of snow and hand more snow on top of him,so at some point of the incident, some parts of the slope had less snow then later more snow. The snow is raising  and falling over 3 weeks, whether snow fall or snow drifts. ?

> I am not understanding your point about the snow depths
It was not MY point at all. It was a side topic that someone else added to this discussion thread, and it has hindered things a lot, and wasted several hours.

Given the proclivity of readers to misunderstand the tiny amount of information I've posted so far of what I've discovered (an enormously complicated sequence of events that has never occurred before or since, complicated by countless errors of witnesses, with both main witnesses thinking something very different happened than what actually happened, and with translation problems making things worse), there is zero chance that I will be "speeding up" anything. It's pointless to reveal an overall solution to people when the language barrier can't even allow them to get past the first hurdle.

Kyle ,as you say,. "Given the proclivity of readers to misunderstand the tiny amount of information I've posted so far of what I've discovered,there is zero chance that I will be "speeding up" anything. It's pointless to reveal an overall solution to people when the language barrier can't even allow them to get past the first hurdle."

It might be better to just say what you mean , you believe it was an avalanche. There was enough weight in the snow slab and the snow that had been falling and that's it. I believe this is the official version to why they left the tent. I'm not sure of the debate on the exact facts of how the tent lay, we will probably never know. There will be translation problems and it's been mentioned many times long before you pointed it out , along with why they didn't take better details or photos, other students having accidents on their hikes. That's just something we have to work with. It looks like the investigation thought there was no real mystery, the mystery comes later.

November 15, 2023, 01:01:58 PM
Reply #33

Axelrod

I think that on the floor of the tent there was not flat ground, but stones half a meter in size. If you get on a stone, the depth will be 1 meter, and if you get between the stones, the depth will be one and a half meters.

November 15, 2023, 01:41:33 PM
Reply #34

kylecorbin

Let's assume that the stick has a length of 130 cm. Of this, ~25 cm is above the snow level, which means that under the snow is ~105 cm. The stick stands at an angle of ~60° to the horizon. We lower the vertical from the top point of its part immersed in the snow to the level of the horizontal emanating from the bottom point and get a right triangle with
legs - a, b, angles - A, B, C and hypotenuse - c
The hypotenuse is a ski pole. Cathetus b, although without any calculations it is equal half a ski pole, we don’t need it.  Cathetus a which shows the depth of the snow into which the stick is stuck = [ b]c × sin A i.e. 105 cm × 0.86 = 90.3 cm.
It is not a fact that the lower end of the stick rests on the ground. In the background of the same photo you can see another stick standing vertically. Using it you can approximately estimate the depth of the snow without remembering your home school.
Kyle, I'm not a fan of exploring donut holes. Whether Brusnitsyn was wrong or not is not very important. By default, it is clear that the level of snow adjacent to the tent from the west, in the photo of preparing the site for it, is at least a foot higher than what is visible in the photo of its discovery. This is enough to make one wonder: where did this foot go?

For those reading this entire long discussion thread, the above perfectly illustrates what I've been saying:
1. It doesn't refer to things I've said and appears not to have read them at all.
2. It includes many English words/phrases that likely came out of a machine translator and were NOT what the writer intended, but of course I have no way of knowing, so I am NOT going to assume the worst about the writer, whereas the more typical responder would insult those terms, or worse, assume that the writer did intend those exact terms, without stopping to think, "Why would he have said things that make no sense in the context of this discussion?"
3. It adds new points that my reply should not ignore but that are not easy to work into a discussion that includes handling the above issues.
4. It puts a foreign-language paragraph at the end (but thank goodness it does not quote me as having typed that part like prior replies inexplicably have).
5. It puts me in an awkward position of needing to politely ask the replier whether he already read my more recent items that he seems not to have read, and whether the oddities in his reply were intentional.

So here we go with an attempt to reply:
Partorg:
Your mathematical approach to calculating snow depth is almost exactly like the process that I already posted. Are you responding to that, or just coincidentally doing the same thing? Your write-up, alas, has enough non-standard terms that I cannot tell what your conclusion is or what, if any, errors you made. For example, in your use of "60 degrees" are you saying that the angle of the ski pole that I put a blue line on in my math write-up is 60 degrees up "from level"? To clarify, 90 degrees would be standing straight up vertically, 60 degrees would be much closer to vertical than lying flat (zero degrees), and 30 degrees would be much closer to lying flat than standing straight up. Remember that we are not discussing angles from the inclined ground there on the sloping mountain but are discussing the "angle from level". Also note that the pole in the photo is pointing back AWAY from the photographer, not to his right, so it is at a much smaller angle from level than one might assume. Further, note all the chunks of snow there preventing one from getting a good understanding of level. If you are seriously saying that you think that the pole is 60 degrees from level, then we are so far from agreeing that there is no point in any discussion at all. No mathematical analysis can begin without at least a general agreement of what the most basic of facts are that will be used in the calculations.

If we do have a basic agreement of facts, then wouldn't a more efficient approach be to discuss my math analysis instead of starting over? Further, mine is one that other readers and researchers can follow easily without being "put off" by math terms. The goal should not be simply to convince each other but instead to make it clear to the largest number of people possible. Incidentally, having now yet again reread my analysis, I see I should have clarified that column three in the chart is not "to the other end" but "to the level that the other end reaches", and that the "ground" I mentioned is the level walking snow the victims put the tent on, not the physical (sloped) ground underneath the snow. Note that many non-English natives use the word "floor" instead of "ground" when we natives use "floor" more often to mean an inside area that humans build and "ground" to mean everything else (e.g., a sidewalk, a road, a grassy lawn, a dirt yard, and a mountainside are all "ground" and not "floor").

In discussing depth of snow amidst dozens of piles of snow that have nothing to do with depth, how are you including that in the term "depth"?

Have you considered that the ski pole is the broken one from the back end of the tent and thus that we cannot tell anything about how far into the snow its other end is? Why do you suppose the searchers left the dangerous end of this pole (and others) in the air instead of jabbing that end into the snow the way it was designed for?

Your reply included several terms that I don't understand in the context of the discussion. Because I cannot tell whether they are translation errors (or even whether you are using a translation process at all), I do not know how to proceed. Do you want me to list them so you can determine where I am getting astray? You have not responded to my private message from a while ago, so while I would prefer to sort out the issue of translation problems that way, I cannot tell whether you instead prefer to have such side issues aired publicly.

> is at least a foot higher than what is visible in the photo of its discovery. This is enough to make one wonder: where did this foot [of snow] go?

Indeed! And discovering the answer to that was one of the biggest aha moments I have had during the entire month of researching this tragedy. But so far there is little progress with getting reasoned interactions about even small details, so I am far from willing to begin discussions about major issues like that.

November 15, 2023, 02:09:45 PM
Reply #35

kylecorbin

As for poles and skis, I can say that Dyatlov’s team has archaic equipment even for 1959.
I suppose that the Ural Polytechnic Institute used pre-war equipment.
Perhaps someone knows where the actual measurements of all the equipment are and can post a link here. I personally do not need those since I already know the approximate snow depths of the various areas from looking at the photos. I would think that if people believe photos are fake, then no links to anything will help them. We have a photo showing that a ski pole was only one meter tall. Yesterday, when I first looked up data on ski poles, everywhere I checked said that different heights of poles are used by people depending on their own height, basically with a sliding scale. Perhaps the group had different poles for different people, but if a man slightly taller than average in 1959 was using a 1-meter pole, then it's likely that the majority of poles were that same height or shorter, since most of the nine were shorter than he. Again, I don't think we need this information since we have photos and can see the depths with our own eyes. There was no deep snow anywhere near the tent in late February, after relatively deep snow had covered the whole area on the day of the tragedy.

November 15, 2023, 03:11:59 PM
Reply #36

kylecorbin

That's a bit melodramatic. I would suggest that if you want to help the world and save future lives, I would put your energies in to local and current issues like the homeless. 

Make sure to tell the person who put the above tribute on this website's main page that you're calling them "a bit melodramatic" and that you "suggest that if you want to help the world and save future lives, I would put your energies in to local and current issues like the homeless". The ONLY reason we should be trying to solve this is to help future people (and perhaps the relatives of the victims). Those ARE local and current issues. Many people currently die in winter activities every year. The deaths of those nine people in 1959 can prevent some of that. They would have wanted to better the world, even if you don't. Those nine deaths are not a whodunit or a mystery novel. They weren't fictional. This website's tribute today was tastefully done and commendable. Don't post to me again. Go bother someone else.

November 15, 2023, 03:29:42 PM
Reply #37

Ziljoe

Make sure to tell the person who put the above tribute on this website's main page that you're calling them "a bit melodramatic" and that you "suggest that if you want to help the world and save future lives, I would put your energies in to local and current issues like the homeless". The ONLY reason we should be trying to solve this is to help future people (and perhaps the relatives of the victims). Those ARE local and current issues. Many people currently die in winter activities every year. The deaths of those nine people in 1959 can prevent some of that. They would have wanted to better the world, even if you don't. Those nine deaths are not a whodunit or a mystery novel. They weren't fictional. This website's tribute today was tastefully done and commendable. Don't post to me again. Go bother someone else.

Hi Kyle, thank you for your opinion. All tributes on this site are tastefully done .

Since you have the answer with your aha moment, please share with the world the solution of the mystery so that lives may be saved. Your delay in sharing will only continue to cost people's lives.

By the way, your 98 cm ski pole does not make any sense, nor your interpretation of the photos regarding the maths of working out the length.  Cross country ski poles are longer than a meter for a reason.

The following users thanked this post: Почемучка

November 15, 2023, 04:47:31 PM
Reply #38

kylecorbin

I just now sent this to the Moderator:

An abusive post occurred: forum.dyatlovpass.com/index.php?topic=1515.msg23811 at 03:29:42 by member Ziljoe after I told him not to post to me again.

November 15, 2023, 05:04:22 PM
Reply #39

amashilu

Global Moderator
All:  I have spoken privately to the two individuals above, and this should be the end of the matter.

Personal insults are not tolerated on this forum. Members are always encouraged and free to discuss and share their insights, theories, and questions, so let's keep the discussion going and stick to the material that is being explored.

amashilu

November 15, 2023, 06:20:58 PM
Reply #40

Ziljoe

[

[/quote]

In the photo, with the alleged length of 98 cm. I would suspect that the ring of the pole is further away. The ring being called the basket in English. To acquire the length of the ski pole, it can't be assumed it is a direct 2 dimensional representation. We know that ski poles for cross country skiing are around 1.3 meters. The straps enable push off as much as the grasp by a hand. This is the nature of longer poles in cross country skiing . A 1 meter ski pole will be of little use . It can only be an already broken ski pole , or the angle of the pole in the photo means the ring/ basket is further away than we assume.

I do not understand what significance the pole being 98cm relates to. ( No insults to anyone intented) .

The following users thanked this post: Почемучка, Partorg

November 16, 2023, 03:05:24 AM
Reply #41

Teddy

Administrator
Just posted
Remembering Sasha Kolevatov

It was nagging at me if Kolevatov was such a self-centered prick as Blinov describes him, why did he remain with the badly injured comrades and didn't run for his life? He could have survived, he had the experience.
And here we have a completely different character witness, a girl who went on hikes with Aleksander Kolevatov and says he would never leave anyone behind in the mountain.

An Oscar winning movie based on the book signed by Aleksander Kolevatov directed by Akira Kurosawa
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 03:52:49 AM by Teddy »

November 16, 2023, 12:05:08 PM
Reply #42

Partorg

Quote from: kylecorbin
For example, in your use of "60 degrees" are you saying that the angle of the ski pole that I put a blue line on in my math write-up is 60 degrees up "from level"? To clarify, 90 degrees would be standing straight up vertically, 60 degrees would be much closer to vertical than lying flat (zero degrees), and 30 degrees would be much closer to lying flat than standing straight up.
In my opinion, the ski pole under discussion is located at an angle of 50° - 60° to the horizon or (which is the same) 30° - 40° deflected from the vertical. But even if it sticks out at an angle of 45°, there will still be at least 70 cm of snow underneath it. If you think that it is almost lying (30 degrees), there is nothing I can do about it.
I never saw any ski poles shorter than 120 cm. In Kolevatov’s case it is located at an angle. Frontal foreshortening visually shortens it

Quote from: kylecorbin
Perhaps someone knows where the actual measurements of all the equipment are and can post a link here. I personally do not need those since I already know the approximate snow depths of the various areas from looking at the photos.
The impression that what is written is not read, and what is read is not understood, is not only yours.  Once again: the snow is distributed unevenly on the slope. He levels the ground relief. At elevations it can be 1 foot, but literally in 5 yards, in a depression (pit) 3 - 4ft. If from the photo of the snow cover surface on which even a bush is not visible you can determine its height , you can only envy.
As for your mathematical analysis,

I can neither object nor agree with it since I understood absolutely nothing here. I just froze in amazement. Sorry.
I have no questions for you, but I have one request: on the previous page in Reply #29 (https://forum.dyatlovpass.com/index.php?topic=1515.msg23802#msg23802), I made a mistake when labelling the angles of the drawn triangle, and as a result, in the formula below the picture, instead of the angle opposite to the desired cathetus, it was the angle adjacent to it. I noticed this and corrected it, but after you copied the formula for your Reply #34. Could you please go into that post of yours again and in the formula:  "c × sin A " replace the letter A with the letter C. If it's not too much trouble, of course.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 05:15:07 PM by Partorg »

November 17, 2023, 06:00:26 AM
Reply #43

Axelrod

and says he would never leave anyone behind in the mountain.
I don't understand this sentence. Maybe it was "never leave in grief" which is similar to gorá (mountain)

November 21, 2023, 02:09:24 AM
Reply #44

Axelrod

e.g. You wrote to me "Slobtsov took the flask"

What will be imagined in England, USA? I try to check it and I copy word "flask" to Google pictures, and what I see.
I see objects, which are described by Russian words "kolba", "termos" etc.

The problem is: when Russian reader (when reading text) images something concrete, English reader can imagine whole set of unexpected things!

Did Slobtsov take termos with alcohol?

It is not the problem of translation, it is problem of language and era.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 02:17:52 AM by Axelrod »

November 23, 2023, 03:07:06 PM
Reply #45

Axelrod

Moment that I cannot understand in Russian

Лист 215

вход или придавить угол палатки грузом чтобы его не сорвало ветром. Палатка стояла на разложенных лыжах, растяжки привязаны к лыжным палкам, причем большинство из них не были повреждены.

Sheet 215

the entrance by stacking the corner of the tent with a load so that it will not be torn by the wind. The tent was laid on skis, straps were tied to ski poles, and most of them were not damaged

WHAT was not damaged - ski poles or straps? Maybe Atmanaki suppopsed straps, but reader understatns it as ski poles.

November 23, 2023, 09:30:13 PM
Reply #46

Ziljoe

It could be read as both ski pole and strap. When the rope and pole are used together, it serves one purpose, to support the tent. So does he mean most of the ski poles with straps were still in place, attached to the tent?

That if I am assuming correctly that by straps , it means ropes. Interesting how he says most of them were not damaged, which means some were damaged .

We can see in the photos done by the searcher's that there seems to be ski poles lying around, plus there seems to be loose baskets ( the ring from the bottom of ski pole) .

November 24, 2023, 01:17:42 AM
Reply #47

Axelrod

Maslennikov wrote (page 70): Палатка находилась в 150 м от гребня отрога (на высоте 900 м) высоты «1079». Палатка была растянута на лыжах и палках, забитых в снег, вход ее был обращен в южную сторону и с этой стороны растяжки были целы, а растяжки северной стороны сорваны и поэтому вся втора половина палатки оказалась завалена снегом.

The tent was 150 m from the spur ridge (900 m) of height "1079". The tent was stretched out on skis and poles, hammered into the snow, its entrance facing the south side and on that side extensions were intact, and the north side stretching was disrupted and therefore the entire second half of the tent was covered with snow.

-- Side extentions = maybe  ropes. It is understandable translation? I think, I suppose, all ski poles were intact, except one inside the tent.

-- the same tetx was repeated by prosecotur Tempalov--

I suppose

Second question: It is not clear form text about 900 m - it is height of tent place or spur ringe. We know placement of tent h=890, Deam mountain =1097 (1097 - h = 1079 - 900),

November 24, 2023, 02:55:58 AM
Reply #48

Ziljoe

There seems to be some damage to the ski poles but this photo is taken after they have moved the tent and it's contents.

This may have been done by the searcher's? When digging up the tent . It is strange that if these baskets/ rings were found broken by the searcher's that it is not reported.

Any breakages or movement found of the ski poles or ropes would be significant to understanding what happened.

I don't know if the heights and distances given for much of the data were rough guesses.