March 28, 2024, 05:39:25 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Post ratings  (Read 9563 times)

July 21, 2020, 11:30:38 PM
Read 9563 times

Teddy

Administrator
You may have noticed our new post ratings. Suggested by PROXIUS, implemented by Loose Cannon.
Familiarize yourself with the icons because they are kind of faded under the post, and they are more than one can expect.
In your profile are listed how many of which you got.
The posts are not showing the ratings they got. Only after you rate you are offered to see a list of rating. In this regard it works like voting.
Also:
  • you can't rate a post twice even if it is with a different rate
  • you can't not change your rate once rated
  • you can't not unrated

Icon Meaning
LikeLike
DislikeDislike
AgreeAgree
DisagreeDisagree
FunnyFunny
SadSad
WinnerWinner
InformativeInformative
LoveLove
ShockingShocking
OptimisticOptimistic
CreativeCreative
OldOld
ControversialControversial
DullDull
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 12:15:47 AM by Teddy »

July 22, 2020, 01:18:03 AM
Reply #1

PROXIUS

It is very beautiful. I hope everybody will find it useful.

July 23, 2020, 05:06:07 PM
Reply #2

RidgeWatcher

Hello Teddy.

Did Proxius recommend these specific post ratings or did the administrators have any choice to choose or dismiss individual post rating icons. The reason I am asking is because per this forum's rules were are not supposed to insult or project sarcasm to other user's posts. It is always O.K. to disagree and I am by no means the virtue police by any means, but if we have rules against about telling a poster that their post is "dumb" then should we post rating icon that says this symbolically?

July 23, 2020, 11:41:32 PM
Reply #3

Teddy

Administrator
Who says you can't say that a post is dumb? Of course you can. There is no police on this forum. We do not hate, sarcasm is ok.
The ratings are a much shorter way to say that you like or dislike something, without having to reply, often quoting the whole previous post, just to remark something with one word. In this case you have a little more than like and dislike but they are all ok. Shortens the threads and it is fun. It is proven nowadays to be the lazy way of communication through social media. I don't like social media but I will not engage in war against it. People use ti. In this case you have a little more than like and dislike but they are all ok. I don't understand your concern.

July 23, 2020, 11:50:45 PM
Reply #4

Teddy

Administrator
per this forum's rules were are not supposed to insult or project sarcasm to other user's posts. It is always O.K. to disagree and I am by no means the virtue police by any means, but if we have rules against about telling a poster that their post is "dumb" then should we post rating icon that says this symbolically?

I checked - I can remove the "dumb" icon, but I missed the moment when we decided we should not tell a post, not the poster, that it is "dumb". It is a big difference between attacking the post and the poster. Ad hominem is a notoriously weak logical argument. But even the brightest of all geniuses can say dumb things, even sometimes on purpose.

What do the rest think, of you get a "dumb" rating on your post, will this offend you?
A "dumb" rating on your post would not at any way project to your persona, unless you decide so. One "dumb" rating will balance with 2 "likes". Most of the ratings are positive. Anybody else feeling threatened by having the option other members rating their post "dumb"?

July 23, 2020, 11:57:15 PM
Reply #5

Teddy

Administrator
I can replace, rename and do whatever I want with all of the rate icons.
If you suggest different ratings system - please post here.

July 24, 2020, 12:20:12 AM
Reply #6

Teddy

Administrator
Dumb is now Dull.
I hope you find this more politically correct.

July 24, 2020, 12:24:48 AM
Reply #7

PROXIUS

Hello Teddy.

Did Proxius recommend these specific post ratings or did the administrators have any choice to choose or dismiss individual post rating icons. The reason I am asking is because per this forum's rules were are not supposed to insult or project sarcasm to other user's posts. It is always O.K. to disagree and I am by no means the virtue police by any means, but if we have rules against about telling a poster that their post is "dumb" then should we post rating icon that says this symbolically?

I just suggested the ranking module. Thought it could be useful in forum because sometimes some posts are written meticulously and deserve a reaction. Reaction because there is nothing to add and by the instinct people maybe feels like to say "Well said!" or the opposite. So in order to avoid couple word post pollution in the forum, they can simply click on the desired icon.

I did not come up with names of ratings, they are default rates in the module BUT can be modified. It's always up to admins.

In my opinion communities are like brotherhoods where people get along under the same roof of common hobbies/obsessions etc and this doesn't mean everybody must agree each other but respect each other. I am kinda new in here but what I see is this forum is full with smart and genuine people. People who wouldn't get offended if they get 'dislike' or 'dumb' rates as long as someone abuse it for personal reasons and spam on specifically someone's posts which can be detected by admins and seen by users.

-Kind regards.

July 24, 2020, 12:26:28 AM
Reply #8

PROXIUS

Dumb is now Dull.
I hope you find this more politically correct.

There we go :) sounds more peaceful indeed. Hope everybody will be happy with this :P

July 24, 2020, 01:09:28 PM
Reply #9

Monty

Don't fall foul of the paralysis of analysis. We still have an unsolved mystery on our hands.

July 24, 2020, 04:05:54 PM
Reply #10

RidgeWatcher

I never meant to insult anyone on DPF, or cause an outrage! It was an honest question. I was, however, referring to "Rules" put forth by Loose Cannon 21.10.2017.

1) It's simple, first and foremost, respect each other.  Be civil!! 

8)  Trolling(name calling/bullying/pushing buttons) won't be tolerated. A fun razzing is one thing, but taunting is another.

I was referring to both of the rules above. I am not a judge, nor would I ever want to change the character of this forum. Please keep all of the icons, they are fun, but I personally will refrain from ever using "old" or "dull", I do like "controversial", though. Now I sound like I am virtue signaling which is contemptible...I do appreciate all of your opinions. Thank you.

July 25, 2020, 12:04:14 AM
Reply #11

Teddy

Administrator
Let's give it a try.

There are still quirks that I don't understand, like I don't see the rating given under the post. It's only offered to see the list after I rate. In this regard it works like voting.
I tried rating twice a post and it didn't allow me. Also:
  • you can't not unrated
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 12:16:53 AM by Teddy »

July 26, 2020, 09:56:40 AM
Reply #12

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
I never meant to insult anyone on DPF, or cause an outrage! It was an honest question. I was, however, referring to "Rules" put forth by Loose Cannon 21.10.2017.

1) It's simple, first and foremost, respect each other.  Be civil!! 

8)  Trolling(name calling/bullying/pushing buttons) won't be tolerated. A fun razzing is one thing, but taunting is another.

I was referring to both of the rules above. I am not a judge, nor would I ever want to change the character of this forum. Please keep all of the icons, they are fun, but I personally will refrain from ever using "old" or "dull", I do like "controversial", though. Now I sound like I am virtue signaling which is contemptible...I do appreciate all of your opinions. Thank you.

Hey RW....   I dont really see an issue regarding the forum rules vs a thumbs up or down thingy... its not like the options are inflammatory.  They can be edited and added to if you have any suggestions. 

Personally, I dont think the forum "needs" this mod per-say.  We are merely willing to listen to our members and try to improve the forum for their use where applicable.   
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

July 26, 2020, 09:58:11 AM
Reply #13

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Let's give it a try.

There are still quirks that I don't understand, like I don't see the rating given under the post. It's only offered to see the list after I rate. In this regard it works like voting.
I tried rating twice a post and it didn't allow me. Also:
  • you can't not unrated

Yeah, I dunno...... its.... blah, whatever.  Clear as mud?   lol3
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

July 26, 2020, 11:20:36 AM
Reply #14

Teddy

Administrator
I am removing the post ratings because they do not show under a post, only after you rate.
You can't tell if you have rated before you rate again, only to be scolded that you have already rated this post.
You can never see again how did you rate this post.
You can never see the ratings of a post.
I don't see a point of having the option to rate if you can never see how a post has been rated.
I thought this to be a bug, but after reinstalling the mod is all the same.