March 28, 2024, 07:19:13 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Soldier's puttee  (Read 8734 times)

May 07, 2019, 05:15:18 PM
Read 8734 times

cz

One of the radiograms mentions one (not two) "soldier's puttee". According to my understanding this was found along with the alleged den, i.e., below the snow in the ravine.

There is explicit consternation in the radiogram of 1959 as much as now, I think, about this find. Although it may be considered evidence for military involvement, it was openly reported in the radiogram. I think this matters because searchers may have been hesitant to openly reveal anything in that direction at the time. There is no mention of a counterpart in the tent or elsewhere. I doubt anybody would use only one of them.

Maybe the group itself brought it there but I know no report of puttees being used by them. The searchers may have brought it themselves but I guess one notices when one looses a one meter band from a leg. A smoking gun for military involvement lost by a soldier during struggle perhaps?

What do you make out of this?

May 08, 2019, 01:23:22 AM
Reply #1

Nigel Evans

Too many possibilities to make an argument from it? Could be mundane, could be significant.

May 08, 2019, 06:27:56 AM
Reply #2

Clacon

I was thinking the same thing - however, it must have been "innocent" as it was reported in the radiogram.

I know for sure Semyon had military experience, not sure about anyone else. But it could have been his?

And from what I can tell from the definition of a puttee ("a long strip of cloth wound spirally around the leg from ankle to knee for protection and support"), I am not sure why it was mentioned in the radiogram that it was specific to military use? Based on the definition, anyone could have used one or made one.

May 08, 2019, 06:55:37 AM
Reply #3

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
I think they were using alot of milsurp items.
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

May 08, 2019, 07:05:23 AM
Reply #4

Teddy

Administrator
You can turn the CC on and from setting choose Auto translate to English.
On 8:54 Yuri Yudin says that when he was called in Ivdel to identify the Dyatlov group belongings from the tent he saw puttee that he couldn't place with Dyatlov group and he said so to Ivanov, but nobody wrote it down. This is a second puttee, in a addition to the one mentioned in RADIOGRAM 1

May 08, 2019, 07:57:09 AM
Reply #5

Clacon

Hmmm - well maybe it was a pair of puttee then??

I love that Yudin remembers exactly who owned how many items of clothing. Must have been a meticulous listmaker or had a photographic memory.

May 08, 2019, 08:07:30 AM
Reply #6

Teddy

Administrator
Hmmm - well maybe it was a pair of puttee then??

I love that Yudin remembers exactly who owned how many items of clothing. Must have been a meticulous listmaker or had a photographic memory.

On the contrary, he says that they said he couldn't identify the items but he says that he couldn't have possibly known who brought what to the trek. He said that he could tell that everything but the puttee belonged to Dyatlov group, but not what belonged to whom in particular. Yudin is known to have changed his mind about many things including who did he give his vest before turning back. Yudin has proven not to be very reliable witness, but I don't find this so suspicious.

Regarding the puttee I agree with Loose Cannon - why should it be so suspicious than somebody used items like this especially if they found the pair in the ravine. It is on their feet, why should everybody know about it?

May 08, 2019, 08:14:18 AM
Reply #7

Clacon

I agree with all you've said. I don't think its a red flag. What do you think "cz"?

May 08, 2019, 09:47:00 AM
Reply #8

Nigel Evans

Good that there's a pair, suggests a mundane solution.

May 08, 2019, 10:03:08 AM
Reply #9

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Yudin kilt em.   shock1

May 08, 2019, 10:07:40 AM
Reply #10

Teddy

Administrator
In the movie "The secret of the Mountain of the Dead. Dyatlov Pass" (Тайна горы мертвецов. Перевал Дятлова 2013) Dyatlov was trying to calm down the gang that Zolotaryov is cool and he said that Zolotaryov will bring some valenki. Valenki were always needed. Valenki and puttees are footwear.  I am aware that movies are fiction (although this movie has a lot of interviews with Yudin, searchers and other witnesses), but Zolotaryov might as well have brought to the trek items that Yudin is not used seeing as belonging to his friends. Zolotaryov has been in the army and he might very well be in possession and habit of using milsurp items as Loose Cannon called them.

May 08, 2019, 10:18:27 AM
Reply #11

Teddy

Administrator
Yudin kilt em.   shock1

And these photos are proof

Yuri Yudin:
"It was a sad farewell. We were slow on the way there (to the 2nd North) and now we had to hurry back. Hurry up, hurry up... so оur goodbyes were hasty. They even gave me an amulet, a teddy bear. I still have it, this amulet."

Frame from "The secret of the Mountain of the Dead. Dyatlov Pass" (Тайна горы мертвецов. Перевал Дятлова 2013)

This is a third toy bear that the group was bringing. Two bears were found among the possessions of the group. They belonged to Slobodin and Krivonischenko.
The teddy bear that the group gave to Yudin belonged to Zina Kolmogorova. It is now in Dyatlov foundation. Yudi Yudin died April 27, 2013, aged 75, shortly after the movie came out.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:44:54 AM by Teddy »

May 08, 2019, 10:55:51 AM
Reply #12

gypsy

There are a lot of examples when a family member or a friend killed somebody despite having presumably happy relationship with them (I am not saying that was the case here) Nevertheless, it is a natural way of thinking of investigators to suspect close relatives and friends. I think that if Ivanov and co. had evidence against Yudin, they would have used it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:59:24 AM by Teddy »

May 08, 2019, 11:02:00 AM
Reply #13

Teddy

Administrator
I am kidding. This photos don't prove anything, I ma just bringing information on the table.
Pls don't quote the whole post with photos and everything. It takes up the whole page just to scroll to 2 lines of text. Especially when you are commenting on the post right above.

May 08, 2019, 12:39:31 PM
Reply #14

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator

This photo has always bothered me.  Its not hard to tell Yudin is very uncomfortable.  He is either afraid to show affection, or he is a germ freak.

May 08, 2019, 12:49:29 PM
Reply #15

Teddy

Administrator
This is funny. He was the doc of the group, in charge of the meds.

May 08, 2019, 01:06:57 PM
Reply #16

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Well....     he's not gay.  Gay guys love hugging up on their girlfriends. 

May 08, 2019, 02:03:56 PM
Reply #17

Teddy

Administrator
Good. We build Yudin'c character. I am considering an article about him on his birthday (Jul 19) this year. I will remember to include our conclusions.

May 08, 2019, 02:21:01 PM
Reply #18

gypsy

I will remember to include our conclusions.

It might be a good idea to have a psychologist look at the pictures, Yudin's interview and some ideas that appeared at the forum. More science and expertise is always helpful IMHO.

May 08, 2019, 02:30:48 PM
Reply #19

Teddy

Administrator
I asked a German psychologist for an opinion on Lyuda's diary entries. I am preparing articles for her birthday that I am not going to miss this year.

May 08, 2019, 02:33:47 PM
Reply #20

gypsy

I will look forward to that. Much appreciated.  thumb1

May 09, 2019, 01:19:45 AM
Reply #21

Nigel Evans

This photo has always bothered me.  Its not hard to tell Yudin is very uncomfortable.  He is either afraid to show affection, or he is a germ freak.
Or this is complete nonsense.

May 09, 2019, 01:36:09 AM
Reply #22

Teddy

Administrator

You are not taking this serious, are you?
Ok, semi serious.

May 09, 2019, 02:48:38 AM
Reply #23

Nigel Evans

You are not taking this serious, are you?
Ok, semi serious.
Taking the "germ phobic homosexual killer theory" seriously? Hmmm maybe semi serious. But i prefer ball lightning of course. Now that's a seriously plausible narrative. declare1

May 09, 2019, 03:05:42 AM
Reply #24

Teddy

Administrator
Nigel, you have a tunnel vision.

May 09, 2019, 03:14:07 AM
Reply #25

Nigel Evans

Nigel, you have a tunnel vision.
It's not for everyone. Well not that many people at all i suppose Possibly just Monika and me.

May 09, 2019, 03:23:52 AM
Reply #26

Teddy

Administrator
It is cosmically better than not having a vision at all. Keep on going!

May 09, 2019, 06:59:20 AM
Reply #27

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Its just pondering conversation.

My wife is a germ phob.....  she would react the same way as we see in this photo.