April 23, 2024, 09:51:47 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I would like to discuss an article in the KP newspaper for 2012, in which it is written that during the delivery of tourists to the morgue of the Ivdel hospital, Yuri Yudin was also in the Ivdel and watched the corpses through the hospital window. For some reason, this message in the article went unnoticed and was not discussed anywhere.
Quote from the article:
"I was young then, I worked as a nurse," recalls Zoya Nikitichna Savina. - I saw them at the bus stop. Everyone is so funny. They laughed loudly. And then they were brought to the morgue, I looked through the window. The girl was lying there and the guys, I don't remember how long. The girl had socks on her feet. And their friend, the guy who didn't go with them, stood under the windows of the morgue and cried … In the same hospital, Maria Ivanovna Salter worked as a surgical assistant in the morgue..."
It turns out that Yudin knew about the death of tourists, saw their bodies even before the official search. Why Yudin returned from a hike and stayed in the city of Ivdel is a separate conversation.
Perhaps he was waiting for the guys to return, and for this trip to be taken into account by the tourist club. Or maybe he was doing the work of the special services.
https://www.kp.ru/daily/25946.5/2890373/
General Discussion / Re: Is there evidence for outsiders?
« Last post by Ziljoe on Today at 12:23:53 AM »
I have a vague memory of reading something about longer skis , I can't remember where I read it , also one of the group preferred to ski in felt boots I think.
I read nothing to rule out food poisoning. If they all ate together and ate the same thing, that might be it.
General Discussion / Re: Survival programs as a resource.
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 22, 2024, 01:55:54 AM »
This video is from a book "to build a fire" by Jack London, written in 1908. It is narrated by Orson Welles and directed by David Cobham in 1969.

Although a story and a low budget film, it has a certain charm and tension that might give us an insight to some of the things experienced by the Dyatlov group. It certainly highlights the potential dangers of the cold and the deterioration of the mind and body against the elements.

It's about a man traveling a path in freezing cold conditions to meet some others at a camp but a series of events occur. The story identifies the problems of creeks and ravines being hidden by snow and this was written in 1908.

https://youtu.be/RBB06RLmCcU?si=zh6YViTe-V1c6t8p
General Discussion / Re: AVANLANCHE THEORY
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 21, 2024, 02:33:45 PM »
I think it's possible but so are some other theories. For me it's the most plausible explanation but obviously not a certainty.When I way it up against other proposed solutions, some sort of snow slide nudges ahead .

The avalanche 6-700 meters away from the tent that was observed on Kholat Syakhl in January 2023 shows it can happen, I believe the evidence is quickly eroded.

So we know an "avalanche" can happen on 1079 .That's a fact , plain and simple.....is it what happened to the hikers? .... Who knows.
« Last post by eurocentric on April 21, 2024, 11:39:02 AM »
Only 4 members, including myself, have answered this Poll. Even so none seem to believe this is possible or likely.

I see no point in circular arguments about whether an avalanche was possible up there, it would never be of such magnitude, surely, that the hikers could not dig out their tent, they'd already dug out the trench without shovels, and find themselves usefully deeper in a surrounding insulating wall of snow, the mountain even less likely to produce a second avalanche. That would be more preferable than walking off to your underdressed deaths.

What I have always taken the theory to suggest, its only logic, is that a piece of snow crust directly above the tent and inline with it calved off and slid into the tent, not a localised and wider avalanche. If that happened then a repeat may be possible, impacting with greater velocity, and there is then a logic to abandoning the tent site, though even then it should be possible to retrieve more items than torches to survive elsewhere.

But if such an event was to happen you'd expect the crust above the tent to bear some evidence, leaving behind a snow-filled depression, and for this fresh infill to feel very different underfoot, containing more air than the surrounding crust? Neither witnesses or photographs suggest this, and the uphill side of the tent was not damaged by any deluge, a coat even remained stuffed into a hole on that side, the tent kept its footprint, and ski poles and skis remained in position.

The aftermath does not suggest that 3 weeks earlier something happened connected with any type of snow slide.
« Last post by Partorg on April 21, 2024, 11:22:23 AM »
Quote from: Ziljoe
I look forward to your findings and conclusions
memories of search participants

S. Sogrin
http://musei-suksun-savod.blogspot.com/2014/06/blog-post.html

«Maslennikov and I studied all the traces very thoroughly, and Evgeny Polikarpovich made drawings of sketches of the area, indicating where things were found and where the bodies of the dead were found.
As a result, it was possible to reconstruct all the subsequent events after the exodus of people from the tent. ( We will return to the reasons for the flight below). As the tourists jumped out of the tent, they immediately rushed down the slope. That is why the footprints cross somewhere, run into each other. This gave rise to discrepancies and disagreement when counting their number. But unequivocally there were 9 pairs of them.

These tracks led to a huge ice formed by underground groundwater. It's impossible to stand on it. Here, flying up in the air and falling on the ice, they, gaining great speed, ran downwards. There were rocks sticking out in the way. After the ice, we could see hardly distinguishable traces, which told us that their character had changed dramatically. They became heaped and small in length. Everything said that someone was hurt on this slope and someone was helped to move, supported Below the tracks disappeared completely.»

V. Karelin
https://dyatlovcreek.moy.su/publ/article/ljod_i_kamni_vladislav_karelin/1-1-0-7

«Moving down the slope, along the trail chains, we approached three rocky ridges. At the rocky places the tracks disappeared. And between the ridges they reappeared. The tracks finally disappeared only on loose snow in the area of shrub vegetation. The fact that such stone ridges were practically an ice surface is very important. And there were many stones sticking out of the ice. Some flat, some sharp, some cone-shaped. It was not easy to walk down the slope, crossing such ice and rocky ridge. I myself once slipped and landed literally next to a sharp rock. How could the tourists who left the tent and went down the slope overcome these icy rocky ridges? And in the dark of night. Most likely, it was on such rocky ridges that they received the main bodily injuries, according to the scheme: movement, sliding, falling, hitting a rock»

More :
 S. Sogrin ; R. Sedov ;  Sakhnin,
https://taina.li/forum/index.php?msg=1021705

Grigoriev G. В 1959 г. reporter  for the newspaper "Uralsky Rabochiy"
Letter to the  "Uralsky Rabochiy" (1999)
http://samlib.ru/a/aleksej_parunin/grigorxewgpisxmowuralxskijrabochij1999g.shtml
« Last post by Partorg on April 21, 2024, 06:20:17 AM »
Quote from: WinterLeia
There only thing Occam’s Razorish about the avalanche theory, or slab slip theory, if you prefer, is that weather and nature-related theories don’t require as many assumptions as, say, murder or military testing
Quite right.  The most consistent with Occam's principle are those explanations of existing facts  that contain the fewest number of assumptions. That's exactly what I meant.

shouldn’t base your theory on the non-existent evidence.
None of the existing hypotheses has evidence. And most likely, they will no longer exist. All we can use in our search for truth are arguments.

Verdict on what caused the hikers to flee the tent: An unknown compelling force. That is the only theory that fits all evidence and requires the least amount of assumptions.
grin1 okey1
« Last post by Axelrod on April 21, 2024, 04:31:53 AM »
I don’t know if there is such an expression in English, but in Russian there is "from fire to fire"

Maybe “out of the frying pan and into the fire.”

It turns out that the tourists avoided one avalanche, but were caught in another avalanche, which had already overtaken them, completely?
« Last post by Ziljoe on April 20, 2024, 10:48:46 PM »
Fair enough, just to clarify from my pet, I don't think the injuries were caused by any snow, avalanche , slab slip at the tent . I only see the snow slip/ slump/ slide as a reason the hikers left the tent and moved to the ceder / ravine . The rib fractures I think happened at the location of the ravine.

I look forward to your findings and conclusions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10