March 18, 2024, 08:55:18 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: New Press Conference  (Read 26481 times)

July 19, 2020, 03:12:30 AM
Reply #30

sparrow

Does anybody know if autopsies of that time period  were usually what seemed to me to be quite lacking?  Were investigations sort of hit and miss like this one seems to be to me? Is there anyone on this forum who knows anything about what autopsy reports should reveal and does that seem to be the case here?

July 19, 2020, 05:11:46 PM
Reply #31

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
Does anybody know if autopsies of that time period  were usually what seemed to me to be quite lacking?  Were investigations sort of hit and miss like this one seems to be to me? Is there anyone on this forum who knows anything about what autopsy reports should reveal and does that seem to be the case here?

Thats a good question.  I think somewhere else in this Forum I may have expressed some doubt about the thoroughness of the Autopsies. I suppose only a real Pathologist could answer.
DB

August 16, 2020, 06:58:26 PM
Reply #32

Vietnamka

The mystery speaker at the press conference is Andrey Kuryakov - Head of the Prosecutor’s Office of the Sverdlovsk Region. This is the long awaited moment we hear the results of the preliminary investigation started in 2018.
Teddy, translate please))
https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4457652

August 17, 2020, 01:22:47 AM
Reply #33

Teddy

Administrator
The Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation Igor Krasnov issued a warning about the incomplete official compliance of the deputy head of the Department of the Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation for the Ural Federal District, Andrey Kuryakov. The document is fully posted on the «Bivshiy Sledak» telegram channel. Its reliability was confirmed by the source of Kommersant-Ural in the regional department.

The document says that on July 11 this year, Mr. Kuryakov, acting for personal purposes, took part in a press conference announcing the completion of the investigation into the death of Igor Dyatlov's group in 1959. During the press conference, he also assessed the activities of the prosecutor's office of the Sverdlovsk region in conducting an audit of the circumstances of the death of hikers in 2018-2019, says the decree.

At the press conference Andrey Kuryakov said that the mystery of the death of hikers at the Dyatlov pass was revealed: an avalanche became the cause of death. According to him, this version has found its full confirmation.

He voiced this information for the preparation of his dissertation for the degree of candidate of legal sciences, follows from the decree. Igor Krasnov called it a disciplinary offense in the form of improper performance by Andrey Kuryakov of his official duties. In this regard, he was warned about incomplete official compliance. This is the maximum possible punishment before dismissal.

Andrey Kuryakov has been working in the department of the Prosecutor General's Office of the Russian Federation for the Ural Federal District since November 2019. Prior to that, since 2011, he headed the Department for Supervision over the Execution of Federal Legislation of the Prosecutor's Office of the Sverdlovsk Region. It is believed that it was thanks to him that the Prosecutor General's Office initiated the verification of Dyatlov's death.

The source of "Kommersant-Ural" said that the management, even without a press conference, has complaints against Andrey Kuryakov. According to the interlocutor, Mr. Kuryakov, using his official position, tried to influence the replacement of the prosecutor of Yekaterinburg. Since 2015, the city department has been headed by Svetlana Kuznetsova. The position of her deputy is occupied by Venera Kuryakova, who is the wife of Andrey Kuryakov.

Source Kommersant

Andrey Kuryakov - Press Conference February 4, 2019

Andrey Kuryakov is delivering the results and conclusion of the latest investigation as a civilian.

Andrey Kuryakov - Press Conference July 11, 2020

Decree of the Prosecutor's Office of the Russian Federation dated August 8, 2020

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:37:40 AM by Teddy »

August 18, 2020, 04:06:18 PM
Reply #34

sarapuk

The Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation Igor Krasnov issued a warning about the incomplete official compliance of the deputy head of the Department of the Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation for the Ural Federal District, Andrey Kuryakov. The document is fully posted on the «Bivshiy Sledak» telegram channel. Its reliability was confirmed by the source of Kommersant-Ural in the regional department.

The document says that on July 11 this year, Mr. Kuryakov, acting for personal purposes, took part in a press conference announcing the completion of the investigation into the death of Igor Dyatlov's group in 1959. During the press conference, he also assessed the activities of the prosecutor's office of the Sverdlovsk region in conducting an audit of the circumstances of the death of hikers in 2018-2019, says the decree.

At the press conference Andrey Kuryakov said that the mystery of the death of hikers at the Dyatlov pass was revealed: an avalanche became the cause of death. According to him, this version has found its full confirmation.

So where does that leave us.  Its even more confusing now. Does it mean that there is hope yet.  Will the Russian Authorities, aka,  THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT,  finally give us the Investigation that is really needed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 11:57:30 PM by Teddy »
DB

August 18, 2020, 05:14:16 PM
Reply #35

Vietnamka

So where does that leave us.  Its even more confusing now. Does it mean that there is hope yet.  Will the Russian Authorities, aka,  THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT, finally give us the Investigation that is really needed.
No. Not this government.
It is difficult to understand "who is who" in Russian, but I will try...

Andrey Kuryakov
2011- Nov 2019 headed the Department of the Prosecutor's Office of the Sverdlovsk Region. Prosecutor General of Russia that time - Yury Chaika. The investigation started in 2017.

Nov 2019 Kuryakov was promoted by Chaika to Head of Department Prosecutor General's Office of the Russian Federation for the Ural Federal District.  Prosecutor General of Russia was still Yury Chaika

Jan 2020 Yury Chaika was fired and succeeded by Igor Krasnov.

Igor Krasnov
is the new Prosecutor General of Russia. He signed the above mentioned decree.
In Russia, as in many countries, the Prosecutor's Office and the Investigative Committee are completely different organizations. The Investigative Committee conducts the investigation, and the Prosecutor's Office oversees compliance with the law. Before heading the Prosecutor General's Office Igor Krasnov was Deputy Head of the Investigative Committee.

There are only two options to reopen the case.
  • appeal to the Investigative Committee
  • appeal to the Prosecutor's Office
Komsomolskaya Pravda (KP) and Leonid Proshkin started from Investigative Committee (IC) in 2014. Investigation lasted several years and ended in an amazing way. The answer from the IC is "we have not conducted any investigation, we do not know anything" (full text). The lawyer has copies of all documents in his hands, but the IC replied that they see them for the first time. It was Krasnov.
Ok, if it doesn't work in one place - let's go to another. KP initiated another investigation, now at the prosecutor's office. Everything goes well until Krasnov gets in the picture.

It is possible that the old situation would have repeated and no one would have received results at all. Kuryakov showed all documents during the press-conference and was punished by Krasnov.

Сould an avalanche be the cause of such games and events at the highest level of Russian officials?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:23:34 AM by Teddy »

August 19, 2020, 02:31:03 AM
Reply #36

Teddy

Administrator

Yury Yakovlevich Chaika - Prosecutor General of Russia from 2006 to 2020. He was fired by Putin and succeeded by Igor Krasnov

Igor Victorovich Krasnov - Prosecutor General of Russia since January 22, 2020

August 20, 2020, 06:26:11 AM
Reply #37

sarapuk

Thanks for the enlightenment Vietnamka. So below is what we have to go on. This is as far as we get with the present Authorities or Government in Russia  !  ? 

[[  The study of the case materials revealed that the most likely reason for the death of the hikers could be a confluence of adverse circumstances and the violation of safety rules in difficult conditions of mountainous terrain (temperatures ranging from -30 to -35°C, a snowstorm with a wind speed of 25-35 m/sec., darkness and the location of the tent on a steep slope). Panic among the people could have occurred due to an avalanche and snow falling on the tent. The death of all nine people occurred from frostbite and injuries caused by falling from height. There is no data supporting the presence of man-made factors associated with the death of the hikers in the case. The case materials indicate that the death of the people from an attack by unknown persons, animals or conflicts within the group were ruled out.
Given the above, there are no grounds for resuming the preliminary investigation.  ]]
DB

August 20, 2020, 09:57:45 AM
Reply #38

Squatch

Thanks for the enlightenment Vietnamka. So below is what we have to go on. This is as far as we get with the present Authorities or Government in Russia  !  ? 

[[  The study of the case materials revealed that the most likely reason for the death of the hikers could be a confluence of adverse circumstances and the violation of safety rules in difficult conditions of mountainous terrain (temperatures ranging from -30 to -35°C, a snowstorm with a wind speed of 25-35 m/sec., darkness and the location of the tent on a steep slope). Panic among the people could have occurred due to an avalanche and snow falling on the tent. The death of all nine people occurred from frostbite and injuries caused by falling from height. There is no data supporting the presence of man-made factors associated with the death of the hikers in the case. The case materials indicate that the death of the people from an attack by unknown persons, animals or conflicts within the group were ruled out.
Given the above, there are no grounds for resuming the preliminary investigation.  ]]

Wasn't it announced early on that only the avalanche and related natural causes theories would be examined? In other words: No military, murder/robbery, Yeti, UFO, etc., would be considered?

That's not satisfactory at all. I happen to agree with the conclusion that it was some kind of real or perceived avalanche with fall or snow collapse injuries/deaths later on. But a real investigation should be open to all possibilities before starting.

Not a good investigation in my opinion.

P.S. And didn't Josh Gates' "Expedition Unknown" cable show uncover evidence that Russian authorities knew just days after the tragedy happened that the hikers were dead? There was supposedly a Russian document that showed this.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:04:05 AM by Squatch »

August 20, 2020, 11:46:58 PM
Reply #39

sparrow

This was not a real investigation.  They decided what the result of the investigation would be before they had even started it.  It was mentioned that there was information that was still classified.  If it really was an old case that had been solved, then why not release everything available?  What secrets are they keeping?  And what about the differing dates mentioned by Squatch? I think there were wrong(?) dates on two pieces of evidence.  I do not like to bad mouth people or worse, but I think this investigation was a lot of bunk (my opinion).  If we have all the information they have, then how is it that most of us still have unanswered questions?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 12:49:02 AM by sparrow »

August 21, 2020, 05:06:41 PM
Reply #40

Saltyseadog

Best Of Luck Galina - We all now know what the overwhelming force was that Ivanov referred to! The Government coverup - Keep it up.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:11:34 PM by Saltyseadog »

August 21, 2020, 11:34:21 PM
Reply #41

Naufragia

Thanks for the update, that's very interesting. Politics aside, I'm not clear on what Prosecutor-General Krasnov has disciplined/warned Mr Kuryakov for. Was it using official time and resources for his personal benefit, i.e. completing his dissertation? Conducting an unathorised investigation? Claiming he had conducted an investigation when he hadn't?

August 23, 2020, 07:22:53 PM
Reply #42

Vietnamka

Thanks for the update, that's very interesting. Politics aside, . Conducting an unathorised investigation? Claiming he had conducted an investigation when he hadn't?

For better understanding...  the Prosecutor's Office does not make "investigation", but  oversees compliance  investigation has been done with the law. The prosecutor's office should check  the rights of relatives have been violated or not during investigation.
If any violations are found, this is a reason to reopen the case.
The reasone  for this checking is the official appeal.

Was it using official time and resources for his personal benefit, i.e. completing his dissertation?
It was the official condacted check based on the official appeal.

I'm not clear on what Prosecutor-General Krasnov has disciplined/warned Mr Kuryakov for
I can only guess.   From the  beginning to the end, the investigation was carried out by Kuryakov. Investigation ended on Nov 2019. On Nov 2019 the results should be provided to KP, but it did not happend. Why?
 From Nov 2019 Kuryakov was transferred to another position and his successor should provide the results. It did not happend too. Why?
The only one "problem" of Kuryakov I see is that during the second press conference he already held a different position and had no official relation to that investigation. The prosecutor's office did not want provide  results, but he did.
The funny thing is that the prosecutor's office has been breaking the law since November 2019. And by declaring that they "do not agree with Kuryakov's conclusions", do they want to say that not avalanche was there?

August 24, 2020, 12:51:39 PM
Reply #43

sarapuk

Wasn't it announced early on that only the avalanche and related natural causes theories would be examined? In other words: No military, murder/robbery, Yeti, UFO, etc., would be considered?

That's not satisfactory at all. I happen to agree with the conclusion that it was some kind of real or perceived avalanche with fall or snow collapse injuries/deaths later on. But a real investigation should be open to all possibilities before starting.

Not a good investigation in my opinion.

P.S. And didn't Josh Gates' "Expedition Unknown" cable show uncover evidence that Russian authorities knew just days after the tragedy happened that the hikers were dead? There was supposedly a Russian document that showed this.

It appears that the Authorities have used the case materials as well as onsite investigations to reach their decision. A decision which at the moment appears to be final. 
DB

September 09, 2020, 03:10:14 AM
Reply #44

Chris

• So experienced alpine hikers ran from an avalanche down the fall line instead of traversing sideways. Surely if an avalanche could make enough noise, it would leave a rubble field to be identified 4 weeks later?
  • Two well dressed members with a flashlight didn't return to collect clothing, although extreme cold was now the enemy.
  • The curious and different injuries to Zinaida, Igor, Rustem are simply dismissed with - "Dyatlov, Slobodin and Kolmogorova, one after another, began to climb back along the slope, but due to overcooling the felt helpless and fell to the ground.". Rustem suffered head trauma and internal bleeding? Zinaida's face is reported in the autopsy as abrasions but the morgue photos challenge this (imo)?
  • Tent found covered in firn snow.
  • No explanation is offered for YuriK's leg.
  • The overall lack of frostbite in extreme cold is ignored.
  • The ravine 4's injuries were due to a fall of 3m!!
  • Footsteps in wet snow - ignored.
  • Reports of orange snow - ignored.
  • Purple glow on clothing - ignored.
  • Two bodies were stripped of clothing but a number of burnt pieces of clothing were discarded - ignored.
  • Nicolai found with his gloves in his pocket - ignored.
  • Strange photos - ignored.
  • Strange but similar marks on Igor, YuriK and possibly YuriD - ignored.
  • Okishev's and Ivanov's statement that they were ordered to front a coverup and cooperate with confiscation of evidence - ignored.
  • Case shutdown on discovery of last bodies and a request for a summer site inspection refused - ignored.
Not exactly a comprehensive explanation of the evidence!

Excellent synopsis Nigel - excellent points- well spoken indeed
As usual you’re analytical mind defines you Sir

Mr. Hoosiergose, you'll have to excuse me, but this is not analytics, but set of small quasi-intellectual words involved primarily in collection of fabrications, gossip and rumors.
If you want, I can make detailed analysis of all these insinuations.
I have already stopped communicating with this mister because he is not even able understand the simplest physical and mathematical examples that disprove his claims. This is not my level of discussion, and I have no desire or intention of going down to his level.

Hi Everybody!
First of all, thank you for this forum and for all it´s wonderful discussions. I read here and on dyatlovpass.com since a long time. But it is only now, that I registered. The reason for me to register was the quoted statements above and the possible misunderstanding which lies therein. There is some confusion when people from Russia and native English speakers communicate. I am from Germany and know that there can be a lot of misunderstandings, because of a very different use of words. I am quasi in the middle of both worlds. An example is "Wedding General". I immediately understood what WAB meant with it while the english speakers didn't. But I also see, that WAB did understand Nigels list the wrong way! WAB, please take it from me, Nigels list is not a list of HIS claims. The opposite is true. It is a summary of doubious claims by the new investigation and he questions them in an ironical way. It is western irony! Please read the list as Nigels list of things the report has ignored. Then you will understand.

I will probably not contibute to the discussion much more. Please know, that I enjoy every word I read on this forum and on the main site on a stuff I am thinking about since I first heard about Dyatlov Pass Incident years ago. I have not yet found my own questions answered in a satisfying way like most of you.

My sencere regards to all of you and please keep up your discussion.

Chris

September 09, 2020, 04:43:51 AM
Reply #45

Nigel Evans

@Chris - good to hear you're enjoying the discussion.
Regards

November 11, 2020, 02:27:20 AM
Reply #46

Nigel Evans

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8521931/New-twist-Soviet-mystery-families-dead-hikers-reject-Russias-explanation-1959-incident.html

November 11, 2020, 01:37:16 PM
Reply #47

Monty

Nigel - I didn't have you down as a Daily Mail reader....

November 12, 2020, 09:16:56 AM
Reply #48

Nigel Evans

Nigel - I didn't have you down as a Daily Mail reader....
Google found it for me, it's less fussy.  kewl1

November 12, 2020, 10:08:20 AM
Reply #49

Monty

It's always an interesting thought when you read the visibility was X metres - if it was that bad and they really wanted to return to the tent why not follow their own tracks.

November 12, 2020, 11:53:10 PM
Reply #50

Nigel Evans

It's always an interesting thought when you read the visibility was X metres - if it was that bad and they really wanted to return to the tent why not follow their own tracks.

Snow depth could permit descending but rule out ascending.

November 13, 2020, 12:50:06 PM
Reply #51

Monty

Do you think they left the tent with the intention of ending up where they did; or left and ended up where they did by chance Nigel?
The large cedar being the staging point.

November 18, 2020, 12:04:17 PM
Reply #52

RidgeWatcher

Hi Monty,

Monty, "Do you think they left the tent with the intention of ending up where they did; or left and ended up where they did by chance Nigel?
The large cedar being the staging point".

1) They all left the tent area without adequate clothing.
2) The left, most likely, a lighted torch/flashlight on the roof of the tent
3) They left with the bits of food found on the tent floor.
4) They left the ice pick/shovel at the tent area, knowing they would need this down below.

This all portends to a lack of planning, they didn't have time to think about taking anything that might keep them alive a little longer wherever they were going. I would think they had no idea where they were going, only that they were going downhill and downwind towards the tree line in the Lozva Valley.

If there was a confrontation of sorts back around Vizhay, then the Dyatlov hikers would probably recognize the attackers voices and even their faces at the tent area. Maybe the attackers just yelled at them to leave the tent immediately and run. Maybe the attackers didn't shoot at the tent or the hikers but maybe they shot into the night sky to rush the group out of and away from the tent. I wonder if the searchers in May 1959 who were looking for the ravine hikers went back up the hill to look for any spent bullets or cartridges around the perimeter of the tent area?

I would say that the hikers had no idea where they were going on immediate orders to abandon their tent and life sustaining shelter.

November 18, 2020, 12:19:40 PM
Reply #53

Monty

My original belief and theory is as you describe, but the more I read the WAB and/or Holmgren theory the more I start to waiver. The katabatic theory is stubbornly solid. It hinges i think on whether the cedar was stumbled upon by chance or a pre-arranged rdv. Thanks Ridgewatcher, for your insight

November 19, 2020, 05:05:23 PM
Reply #54

sarapuk

But what is x metres  ?  We dont know what the visibility was or even if it was snowing at the time that they left the Tent. And we dont know what the depth of the snow was when they left the Tent.
DB

November 20, 2020, 11:17:39 AM
Reply #55

Monty

Hi Sarapuk - the X was within the article. They quoted 16 metres and I wondered how it could be so accurate. My thoughts were not with the visibility per say, but the concept of thinking it was better to go down than up. At least going up they could follow their tracks even if visibility was X - X being whatever you want it to be. Thanks

November 23, 2020, 05:28:54 PM
Reply #56

sarapuk

Hi Sarapuk - the X was within the article. They quoted 16 metres and I wondered how it could be so accurate. My thoughts were not with the visibility per say, but the concept of thinking it was better to go down than up. At least going up they could follow their tracks even if visibility was X - X being whatever you want it to be. Thanks

Yeah its a tricky one like so many of the issues in this mystery. I suppose that if someone or something is having a go at them then they could be escaping and panicking.
DB