Theories Discussion > General Discussion

how did they start the fire

(1/11) > >>

tenne:
I have done a lot of sitting around a fire in the snow, after skiing, tobogganing, snow machining and it isn't easy to start a fire in the middle of the night with just matches? lighter?

According to the script, they left the tent in such a hurry that they didn't get dressed. But they managed to get their hands on sharp knives to both cut the tent and cut wood and grab matches (or a lighter)

Green wood does not burn, they had to find dry wood in the dark and snow and get it lit, not an easy task without an accelerant.

Any thoughts on how they did it?

Nigel Evans:
The rescuers commented that there were a lot of spent matches around the campfire so doesn't sound like they found it an easy task.

tenne:
when we light a winter fire, we use a lot of accelerant. Green wood doesn't burn, wet wood doesn't burn. The only way to tell the difference on cedar is to snap the branches, if it breaks it will burn. So in the middle of the night, with frozen hands they not only managed to light matches, which isn't easy with cold hands, but also find wood. I just find that very strange

Manti:
I think they had matches on them at all times (in pockets) as a precaution. Same with knives.

And "middle of the night" is just an assumption. I am beginning to question more of the widely accepted "facts" about the case and timing is one of these. The whole thing might have happened before sunset or in the morning. Of course there are the flashlights that were found which does hint at them venturing out at night.

But I absolutely agree it must have been a very difficult task, also because if the fire is successful the snow below/around melts, and the rest of the firewood is now sitting in a puddle so the fire on its own would kind of put itself out.

tenne:
no, it doesn't put itself out if it is kept going, the heat of the fire evaporates the water. Making smores is a big thing here in the winter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version