March 28, 2024, 01:44:23 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: They were NOT going back to the tent..  (Read 4477 times)

March 22, 2021, 12:20:46 PM
Read 4477 times

Dona

If they were going back to the tent, they would have gone back the way they came, following their own footsteps back. The deliberately did not go that way.. They were  hiding and  didnt want to be seen. They were spying on the tent to see if the coast was clear.. I assume to see if anyone else was still there.

March 22, 2021, 05:32:19 PM
Reply #1

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
If they were going back to the tent, they would have gone back the way they came, following their own footsteps back. The deliberately did not go that way.. They were  hiding and  didnt want to be seen. They were spying on the tent to see if the coast was clear.. I assume to see if anyone else was still there.

Well its a good point about backtracking. Following ones own footprints in the snow. Something happened at the Tent and the Cedar Tree and the Ravine that meant following their own footprints back to the Tent was not possible. And could they see their Tent from the Cedar Tree ! ?
DB

March 22, 2021, 05:53:24 PM
Reply #2

Dona

I doubt they could see the tent, nearly a mile away, in the pitch dark.They certainly couldnt hear anything from that distance..

March 22, 2021, 06:11:06 PM
Reply #3

sarapuk

I doubt they could see the tent, nearly a mile away, in the pitch dark.They certainly couldnt hear anything from that distance..

Well thats what Ive always thought although many Members on this Forum still seem to think it was possible. It may not have been that dark but it may have been snowing or a wind blowing snow and obviously that would mean limited visibility.
DB

March 22, 2021, 06:26:00 PM
Reply #4

Dona

Yep. I saw a Discovery Channel show, as I recall, that showed them on the spot where the tent was, in the dark,  and anything beyond the lights that they had, was completely black.. 20 feet away.. You couldnt see a thing..Probably a little better in person but...not nearly a mile..

March 23, 2021, 04:40:10 AM
Reply #5

tenne

Since I live in a cold snowy place, I would point that there was a good chance they could hear. Sounds travels phenomenally well over snow and in the cold. in a place with no noise pollution and in that cold you could hear quite well for a very long distance.

When its below -20 where I work (at an airport) I can hear people talking and walking from quite a ways that I can't in the summer with no snow and its hotter. Snow crunches like you are walking on bubble wrap in those temps for a start.

that is why they add poetic things like the snapped twig echoed in the frozen air like a gunshot
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:06:13 AM by tenne »

March 23, 2021, 05:40:32 AM
Reply #6

cennetkusu

They were already looking not at the tent, but at the luminous unknown Power. Looking at the tent and seeing it wouldn't do them anything. They couldn't see it anyway. They were staring at the luminous Power that they thought was still in the tent. They didn't see it there. The unknown coercive force was probably watching them from the forest.. The other trio, unable to see the unknown coercive force in the tent, decided to return to the tent. This means that there was a trio in the cedar tree. The trio(Dytlov, Zina,Rustem), the boldest, decided to return to the tent. The other cowardly quartet decided to dig up and go into hiding. So the reason they digged the lair was to hide rather than protect from the cold. But there was no way they could escape from the unknown coercive force.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:58:03 AM by Teddy »
You're alone and desperate. Connect with God, you won't be alone and you're a saint.

March 23, 2021, 08:03:51 AM
Reply #7

KFinn

Since I live in a cold snowy place, I would point that there was a good chance they could hear. Sounds travels phenomenally well over snow and in the cold. in a place with no noise pollution and in that cold you could hear quite well for a very long distance.

When its below -20 where I work (at an airport) I can hear people talking and walking from quite a ways that I can't in the summer with no snow and its hotter. Snow crunches like you are walking on bubble wrap in those temps for a start.

that is why they add poetic things like the snapped twig echoed in the frozen air like a gunshot

I live in a very snowy place as well and while I absolutely agree with you, I don't think it is true for the pass because of the wind.  Dyatlov described the wind as that from a jet engine.  The winds there are notoriously bad and by all accounts where more so during the time of the DPI.  That can make for extremely difficult acoustics.
-Ren

March 23, 2021, 08:30:01 AM
Reply #8

tenne

I live in a very snowy place as well and while I absolutely agree with you, I don't think it is true for the pass because of the wind.  Dyatlov described the wind as that from a jet engine.  The winds there are notoriously bad and by all accounts where more so during the time of the DPI.  That can make for extremely difficult acoustics.

Good point and it would totally depend on the wind.

March 23, 2021, 08:55:15 AM
Reply #9

Dona

Normal conversation would not be heard nearly a mile way.. under any circumstances.

March 23, 2021, 10:22:08 AM
Reply #10

Investigator

If we look at the actual evidence, we can see that Zina was not happy with Igor's behavior, and after the two Yuris died, she may have been overcome with despair and wanted to get away from the "guys" and their dangerous plans, so she stormed off, back to the tent in emotional turmoil.  The two guys went after her, Slobodin striking his head on a boulder and knocked unconscious, then Igor goes after her.  The evidence suggests this is the most likely scenario.

March 23, 2021, 10:23:41 AM
Reply #11

Dona

What evidence are you referring to?

March 23, 2021, 11:23:38 AM
Reply #12

Investigator

The diaries and what the rescuers found.  I'll also mention that Zina apparently did not take any clothes from the two Yuris, and others did or may have, suggesting that she was very upset at the sight of their dead bodies being unclothed.  It's not something that "makes sense" to us in retrospect, as they were doing whatever they could to survive, but it is certainly something that is understandable, and consistent with being very unhappy with Igor's leadership (as stated in the diaries).

March 23, 2021, 11:52:12 AM
Reply #13

Dona

Imagine their horror of seeing their friends dead like that. Zena and Yuri D. had dated.. so they were close..Such a shame..

March 23, 2021, 03:54:41 PM
Reply #14

sarapuk

The diaries and what the rescuers found.  I'll also mention that Zina apparently did not take any clothes from the two Yuris, and others did or may have, suggesting that she was very upset at the sight of their dead bodies being unclothed.  It's not something that "makes sense" to us in retrospect, as they were doing whatever they could to survive, but it is certainly something that is understandable, and consistent with being very unhappy with Igor's leadership (as stated in the diaries).

The Diaries dont prove that what you have stated is correct. And what did the rescuers find that makes you think that this scenario is correct  ! ?
DB