Factual Information > Video / Photography

Zolotaryov's camera

<< < (4/5) > >>

Jakub Firlej:

--- Quote from: cz on January 17, 2021, 04:47:38 PM ---
You are of course right. What strikes me about the "eagle" lights is that they are not round. If it were a moderately distant light source such as a flashlight, I would have expected that. Maybe it is two lights merging in the overexposed ellipse.

--- End quote ---

Look this: https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-199-208?rbid=17743

There is given an atypical model of the flashlight used by the expedition (university equipment list). That would explain why the light is not round.

I will torture these photos again.

Cheers :)

Jakub Firlej:

This "structure" under the lights is often described as resembling the trunk of a tree. If it were really so, the perspective of the photographer must have been a curious one, however. What I find interesting is that this structure is actually quite similar in both pictures. One can superimpose them after a bit of adaption and see this (more information). Assuming that it is a real picture (and not some remnant) more or less the same thing is shown twice. This is the only such example among the photos attributed to Zolotaryov. The photographer saw something, which he considered important enough to photograph two times. I wonder whether your magic can shed more light on how this thing looks and, ultimately, of course what this is.

--- End quote ---

Not only the camera was blinded. Me too. Frame 8 (eagle 2 light) is a fragment of Frame 7 (eagle 1 light). Both photos have identical damage.

cz:
Damn, you are right. They are the same. A bit of a different section and light, but the same. So, I admit that this is somewhat disappointing because it renders the argument of double evidence invalid.

Very accurate observation about the flashlight. One was found on the tent, another one on the slope. No idea whether this means anything.

As for the photo, I wonder whether your eye distinguishes anything in the region within the yellow frame. My eye tends to get stuck there and sees something, but it is so easy to see things here...

Cheers, CZ

eurocentric:

--- Quote from: Jakub Firlej on January 18, 2021, 10:29:01 AM ---
You are of course right. What strikes me about the "eagle" lights is that they are not round. If it were a moderately distant light source such as a flashlight, I would have expected that. Maybe it is two lights merging in the overexposed ellipse.

--- End quote ---

Look this: https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-199-208?rbid=17743

There is given an atypical model of the flashlight used by the expedition (university equipment list). That would explain why the light is not round.

I will torture these photos again.

Cheers :)

--- End quote ---

As you may gather from my avatar I have an interest in the Eagle Light photo's, and it's clearly an electric light with a reflector providing a uniform brilliance, and in the full frame a directional beam shines down through cold night air, like a dry ice effect.

I was intrigued by your post, and am eager to determine what this light may be if not my own idea, so I've been researching this.

I cannot be 100% certain, but am reasonably certain from all examples I have found that the version of the Zil dynamo light this web site links to, with a rectangular lens, sometimes called Bug, was from the 1970s, and earlier versions had round lenses (called Beetle).

Furthermore the dynamo lights of that era required the handle to be continually squeezed to produce light, like the way a bicycle wheel has to spin to power dynamo lights, so would not be their torch of choice to take down the pass. Later models included a rechargeable battery.

It's also a small torch, pocket-sized, and unlikely to generate such a powerful beam/one with a uniform luminosity.

cz:
Hi eurocentric,

First time I realize your avatar is the eagle (:

I find it hard to be sure that it is an electric light that one sees here, but that is certainly a possibility. Also the form if the flashlight you and Jakub suggest would fit in its general dimensions.

One of the questions, I ask myself in the attempt to understand what could be seen here is what kind of situation Zolotaryov (or whoever had the camera then) would have photographed.

Assuming it is the beam of a flashlight, it does not make a lot of sense to shoot right at the beam when the light is close unless perhaps if it was the light of a stranger. However, it cannot be very far, if the shape is reproduced in the image.

If it was their own light, it may have been used to illuminate something, which was the actual target of the photo. Possibly that was what you describe as the dry ice effect. Maybe it was something on the ground.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version