Theories Discussion > General Discussion

The "storm" Photo

(1/6) > >>

MsBurb:
Hi All, great to be aboard this forum!

How does one match this photo with the possibility that the tent was NOT pitched in the open but in the tree line?

FYI: I want to believe Igor would have not opted to pitch on that wind storm tundra but lower into the tree line, but I then can't compute this photo.

Is there a chance this photo was taken earlier than Feb 1? At one of the other camp sites before they reached the pass?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

KFinn:
From my understanding, we don't actually know the exact dates or moments that most of the pictures were taken.  There has been much debate about a lot of the photos, including this one.  Some believe that it is the group digging the storage, even.  Without the benefit of the person who took the photos saying when and where it was taken, we can assume but not 100%. 

MsBurb:
Yes, that makes sense.
I just cannot believe that an experienced hiker would choose to attempt to pitch a tent in that wind tunnel on 1079 when a tree line below is within view.
What's your thoughts on this, KFinn?

KFinn:

--- Quote from: MsBurb on March 29, 2021, 03:01:58 PM ---Yes, that makes sense.
I just cannot believe that an experienced hiker would choose to attempt to pitch a tent in that wind tunnel on 1079 when a tree line below is within view.
What's your thoughts on this, KFinn?

--- End quote ---

I personally go back and forth with this.  The other student hikers who were part of the search testified or later gave interviews suggesting that they didn't see anything wrong with where the tent was found.  However, it is not somewhere I would personally camp and few other expeditions have ever camped there in winter (I think the total is 3, including the Dyatlov group.)  Now, we can compare other winter sports that involve camping in non-ideal places; the higher camps on various 8k meter peaks like Everest are in severe wind, cold and below our normal oxygen saturation.  Yet people still camp there to summit, knowing that if they get into trouble, they will most likely due because no one can help you that high up. 

On the one hand, I would think that no one in their right mind would camp there but on the other hand, the tent was found there.  It is one of those pieces of the puzzle that I am just having a difficult time orienting, lol!!! 

Nigel Evans:
Ivanov was satisfied that the 2 photos were taken around 5pm, 01/02/59. He would have seen the original rolls and frame order.
https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-384-387?rbid=17743
In one of the cameras the last frame shows the moment of excavation of snow for the installation of the tent. Considering that this frame was shot with an exposure of I/25 seconds, with a diaphragm of 5.6 at a film sensitivity of 65 Un. GOST, and taking into account the density of the frame, we can assume that the hikers started the installation of the tent around 5 pm 1.II.59. A similar picture was taken with another camera.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version