Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Feb. 6 – Unimportant or a Crucial Clue?

(1/6) > >>

MDGross:
Case File No. 1's  (as always much thanks to Teddy's translation) contemporary cover (I'm not sure what "contemporary" means in this context) lists the start date of the Dyatlov group investigation as Feb. 6, 1959. Also, a forestry service employee, V.M. Popov, was questioned by Captain Chudinov, head of the Vizhay police department, on Feb. 6. Popov reported seeing two groups of hikers (one group being the Dyatlov party) in Vizhay "in the second part of January." He didn't talk to members of either group. I'm uncertain who authorized the interrogation of Popov on this early date. But here's a possible scenario:
• A missile explodes near the Dyatlov group on Feb. 1, releasing a dangerous amount of nitric oxide. The hikers, already unnerved by a thunderous explosion, are now exposed to toxic nitric oxide. In fear of their lives, they immediately exit their tent.
• Soldiers are dispatched on Feb. 2 to recover all the missile pieces they can find. In the course of their search, they come upon the nine bodies. Soldiers tell their commanding officer, who tells his commanding officer, and so forth. By Feb. 6, someone authorizes the Vizhay police to check around and make certain no one knows exactly what happened (the start of a coverup). It's reasonable to start with Popov, since he helps oversee a large area of land, including where the Dyatlov group died.
• Then the coverup begins in earnest. Pressure from family members finally forces a criminal investigation to begin. On Feb. 26, Ivdel prosecutor Tempalov opens the investigation.

In a scenario like this one, Feb. 6 is a crucial date because it proves that someone (the military?) knew that something went wrong (a missile explosion?) on the night of Feb. 1. As always, only an educated guess on my part.

Beluga1303:
Allegedly no further footprints were found.

mk:

--- Quote from: MDGross on October 19, 2020, 08:46:42 AM ---...
In a scenario like this one, Feb. 6 is a crucial date because it proves that someone (the military?) knew that something went wrong (a missile explosion?) on the night of Feb. 1. As always, only an educated guess on my part.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I'm somewhat inclined to agree with you.  I wouldn't go so far as to propose a scenario, but I tend to think that the "incorrect" date should not be overlooked or dismissed.

MDGross:
Yes, that's the point. This post has gotten almost no response (thanks for yours), but the Feb. 6 date could be absolutely crucial. It raises so many questions: Were the bodies seen by someone between Feb. 2 and Feb. 6? Who saw them? Who tipped off the Vizhay police department? Why was Popov interviewed and then no one else for weeks? Was a coverup ordered until the parents of the dead hikers complained all the way to Khrushchev? Was police captain Chudinov or Popov ever questioned when the investigation was formally opened?

Nigel Evans:
Absolutely crucial or just a typo? From memory neither Ivanov or Okishev placed any importance on this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version