Theories Discussion > General Discussion

A compass points at the strongest magnetic object

(1/4) > >>

Nigel Evans:
So we have the autopsy report that Semyon was found with a compass in his (left) hand.
We also know that he died in great pain from a flail chest. Every breath would have flexed his broken rib cage defeating the action of his diaphragm. (that's why it's so named).
We know that ravine four must have died on top of the snow (falling / murder) or underneath the snow (crushed).
We know that the pathologist estimated that Semyon probably lived longer than Lyudmila who lived long enough for her internal bleeding estimated as 10 minutes. So a reasonable estimate for Semyon is 20 minutes perhaps.

So now for some conjecture which i'll pose as some questions and answers.
Q. Is it possible that he was using the compass at the event that resulted in these injuries?
A. Yes, he could have taking a bearing just before he fell for instance.
Q. But if he was then in great pain for 20 minutes is it reasonable that he would hold onto his compass?
A. Not really, 20 minutes is a long time to hold onto an object that is irrelevant to your immediate problem - high levels of pain.
Q. So ditto murder, if your chest just been smashed up you wouldn't hold onto a compass for 20 minutes?
A. Agreed it seems highly improbable that the falling or murder scenarios would result in Semyon holding onto a compass for 20minutes. He almost certainly would be using his hands to try and control his rib cage's unnatural movements. That would be anyone's instinct
Q. What if he immediately became unconscious or was unconscious before the chest trauma?
A. Well he still has to keep a grip firm enough that the compass will stay in place to reach the autopsy. That has to be improbable?
Q. So is there any other scenario to explain him dying holding a compass?
A. Ah, glad you asked. There is the crushed in the den theory. This is an excellent fit because the snow that transmits the crushing force would become extremely compressed and solid in order to do so. This compressed snow would then prevent any further movement of the body. Essentially the bodies were instantly set in concrete. So if he was crushed "in an instant" it would capture his grip around the compass and prevent it from changing whatever his instinctive response to pain.
Q. Ok sounds good except for one little thing. Why would he want to use a compass inside a den?
A. Ah, again glad you asked. Because if electro magnetic objects were flying around they would almost certainly deviate the compass from it's usual direction of north. Remember the pilot's observation who got close to one of the Ural lights stating that his instruments went haywire? Same thing. Semyon could have been using his compass to regularly assess the situation hence keeping it in his hand between checks.

mk:
I like this theory.

He would need a light to read the compass, especially inside the den.

If one of them did have a notebook after all, it would go with the idea that they were checking the events & maybe planning to jot down time, location, etc.

If it were a light meter rather than a compass, would that also fit with the scenario?

Nigel Evans:

--- Quote from: mk on November 21, 2020, 12:22:08 PM ---I like this theory.

He would need a light to read the compass, especially inside the den.

If one of them did have a notebook after all, it would go with the idea that they were checking the events & maybe planning to jot down time, location, etc.

If it were a light meter rather than a compass, would that also fit with the scenario?

--- End quote ---
Not if the compass used luminescent paint?
Yes it could be that the notebook contained a log that read as gibberish.I'd suggest that a state qualified pathologist knows the difference between the two.

Monty:
Nice opening conjecture Nigel. My immediate thought would be to try and establish the notepad claim and whether the bodies were confused. Given the truly miserable condition they were found in, perhaps both the compass and notepad existed - just not in the possession of the same person. It can't have been easy to work out whose remains were whose in the first instance.
Could Semyon have died elsewhere and been moved still holding the compass? Or perhaps it was getting light enough to use it. Without a map, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
I will give this thread more thought as the potential explanations are complex.

Monty:
I noticed in a 2018 thread by the global admin LC that within the autopsy there was confusion over the context of left hand. It was considered to be left hand side, perhaps in the pocket of the lhs. As opposed to in his left hand. I don't read Russian so can only rely on the kind work of the site owner. I have to go with it being in his left hand, as that is what Teddy has written.
Plus, I'm no genius with translate software but my phone reckons it means wearing. So its a novelty compass watch? Confused am l.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version