April 26, 2024, 11:16:56 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: why did the official not pick up on not enough utensils for 9 people found?  (Read 3539 times)

February 10, 2023, 08:10:34 AM
Read 3539 times

tenne

Utensils: spoons - 7, mugs - 5, aluminum cups - 3, buckets - 2

I thought it was interesting that there wasn't enough utensils found (according to the inventories) for 9 people. When we hiked, skied etc everyone had their own bowl, spoon and mug (knives were shared just to cut) so I did some research. All I could find was on the russian forum the same question, why didn't the official note that there wasn't enough utensils because according to 'rules of tours' back then, everyone had their own utensil.

so if the offiicals were on the up and up and not helping hide something, why wouldn't it twig them that something wasn't right?

I have also read that an amount of food is missing but that involves math so I'm not going there

The following users thanked this post: marieuk, Manti

February 10, 2023, 03:50:14 PM
Reply #1

marieuk

Teddy does say somewhere on here how many kgs of food is missing, but I've not been able to find it so far. 

February 10, 2023, 08:54:37 PM
Reply #2

GlennM

Igor's jacket found in snow, flashlight on top of tent, rescue party eats provisions, cache laid the day before. It could be a packing issue, windblown, lost when the tent was moved, who knows? It only serves to advance the hypothesis that incompetence and cover up were done. There are more mundane explanations. I would not be surprised in a future expedition to 1079 finds a rusted tin cup long ago carried by snow melt somewhere on the slope. I would be surprised to find that cup in the vicinity of the cedar.
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

February 11, 2023, 02:30:15 AM
Reply #3

eurocentric

If they were mainly eating prepared convenience foods on the final leg to Otorten, these foodstuffs found in the tent, dried loin and bread rusks, then they didn't need utensils at that stage, they'd mainly eat with their hands and use their pen knives to cut, and some of them may have drank directly from a flask, which may not reliably have included a cup. But they had a bucket of porridge in the tent so would need some spoons for morning. Perhaps they jettisoned some of their utensils in the labaz and then the rescuers decided to have them when they feasted on the food and these items didn't make it onto the cache inventory.
My DPI approach - logic, probability and reason.

The following users thanked this post: GlennM, Почемучка

February 11, 2023, 07:29:40 AM
Reply #4

tenne

If they were mainly eating prepared convenience foods on the final leg to Otorten, these foodstuffs found in the tent, dried loin and bread rusks, then they didn't need utensils at that stage, they'd mainly eat with their hands and use their pen knives to cut, and some of them may have drank directly from a flask, which may not reliably have included a cup. But they had a bucket of porridge in the tent so would need some spoons for morning. Perhaps they jettisoned some of their utensils in the labaz and then the rescuers decided to have them when they feasted on the food and these items didn't make it onto the cache inventory.

which does prove that corrupt officials investigating corruption do not care about reporting crime. In a case where cover ups were not the norm, it would have been at least mentioned that things were missing and unexplained why.

February 13, 2023, 12:21:23 PM
Reply #5

GlennM

Incident, then accident, then crime. Two out of three isn't bad. I'll take the first two.
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

February 13, 2023, 02:44:08 PM
Reply #6

Manti

The protocols / inventories are clearly incomplete. For example, only Lyuda's backpack had toothpaste. Did the others plan to not brush their teeth for 2+ weeks? Or all shared one toothpaste? I don't think it would last that long if 9 people are using it...

February 15, 2023, 12:24:08 PM
Reply #7

tenne

The protocols / inventories are clearly incomplete. For example, only Lyuda's backpack had toothpaste. Did the others plan to not brush their teeth for 2+ weeks? Or all shared one toothpaste? I don't think it would last that long if 9 people are using it...

or they were not there to begin with. possible reasons:

corrupt people counting on corrupt people to investigate would take a lot of care to make sure everything was perfect.

missing food and missing other stuff could indicate theft by the searchers. they were under strict orders to follow all laws, so it must have been an issue on other searchers

missing food and other stuff has also been used in theories that a back pack was missing because it was too destroyed by the accident or incident (human related)