April 25, 2024, 04:20:13 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Cedar Tree location  (Read 4537 times)

April 02, 2021, 09:30:42 AM
Read 4537 times

Dona

I think they put the fire there at the cedar because it was a lookout.. They were watching for someone or something..Possibly sentry.. And they hid the fire..  so it would  be some-ONE who  might see it.. People..People at the tent.. Animals dont run towards fire..

April 02, 2021, 09:49:43 AM
Reply #1

Manti

they hid the fire..
How did they hide the fire?

I would think if there's a fire in a remote area at night, it will be visible from far no matter what. Even if you can't see the fire itself you can see a bunch of illuminated trees and a column of smoke also illuminated from below. It's only possible to "hide" a fire by setting it in a cave.

April 02, 2021, 10:17:33 AM
Reply #2

Dona

Agreed but, lol, there is always that 'but'.. But, they would have died quickly without it.. Its a trade off.. It ws  small fire.. not a roaring one..

April 02, 2021, 05:29:05 PM
Reply #3

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
I think they put the fire there at the cedar because it was a lookout.. They were watching for someone or something..Possibly sentry.. And they hid the fire..  so it would  be some-ONE who  might see it.. People..People at the tent.. Animals dont run towards fire..

Or they just needed to keep warm. After all they are not properly dressed and its probably at least minus 20 Degrees Centigrade.
DB

April 02, 2021, 05:49:25 PM
Reply #4

Dona

They were freezing to DEATH and they knew it. That fire should have been 5 feet wide and 8 feet high.. They had cut many branches off the cedar.. and never used them

April 03, 2021, 12:23:41 AM
Reply #5

Manti

My understanding is they cut those branches from smaller trees and those might not have burnt well as those were young trees, live (wet) wood.

April 03, 2021, 05:06:28 AM
Reply #6

Dona

That was the branches in the den. They had several cedar tree branches... left unused.