Victims and Case Files > Witness Testimonies

Testimonies Regarding the Tent

<< < (12/13) > >>

Bannef:
Less importantly, even with only the rip they described in their logs... Darn. I can't imagine sleeping on the side of the mountain with wind whistling in. And I get huffy when my windows are drafty.

These kids were so, so much tougher than I can imagine being.

marieuk:
"The tent was in terrible condition, with multiple tears, and cuts and in some places there were punctured and burned holes, and 2 large pieces of canvas were cut / torn out of its lateral part. It is impossible to imagine how it was possible to conduct research on the tent, after it was ruined by search students".

Does anybody know how or why the tent would have punctured and burned holes?  I can understand the damage that was potentially caused by the search party, but curious how it got burnt?

Teddy:
Can you point to me in whose testimony is mentioned that tent was burned?
There is nothing to it, the tent has been used in treks before
https://dyatlovpass.com/controversy#tentphotos

... and things have burned inside even on this trek...

... but I am always curious to witness a legend being born. Where in the testimonies or Churkina's test it says there are burn holes in the tent? And how big are these holes.
From Grigoriev's notebook 3:
"During the night, holes were added to the tent from the sparks. And in the sun they lit up like stars.
- We have become a whole planetarium, says Georgiy"

Keep in mind this is a very old tent carrying scars from many battles.

WAB:

--- Quote from: marieuk on November 01, 2020, 03:25:54 PM ---"The tent was in terrible condition, with multiple tears, and cuts and in some places there were punctured and burned holes, and 2 large pieces of canvas were cut / torn out of its lateral part. It is impossible to imagine how it was possible to conduct research on the tent, after it was ruined by search students".
--- End quote ---

Please do not jump to conclusions about its real state, especially when the group was on its journey. This is somewhat exaggerated description after it was already found and further spoiled. It was not deliberately spoiled, but it happened to be so when you manipulated with it during its discovery and subsequent transportation.

--- Quote from: marieuk on November 01, 2020, 03:25:54 PM ---Does anybody know how or why the tent would have punctured and burned holes?  I can understand the damage that was potentially caused by the search party, but curious how it got burnt?

--- End quote ---

About piercing holes.
1. This always happens when such tents are used with heating such stove. Many very small unburned coals always fly out of the pipe and some of them get on tent top. The result is lot of small (from 1 mm and less or ~ 0.04 in) holes in the area of the pipe and where the wind blows. With the design of the system "tent - stove", which was in the Dyatlov group it is not very large losses of heat and strength. Much more it suffers when lot of heat from the furnace constantly washes the top part. There, the fabric degrades. Such damages are not fatal in normal conditions. Usually such tents were used for 2 or 3 seasons (winter seasons), after which others were taken - new ones, for example, Dyatlov tent was used only 2 times (or 2 winter seasons in previous years) before. Its condition was reliable enough for this trip, but after it had to be changed, or used only in small travels not far from cities.
2. All information about large gaps is consistent with what was done with it at the time of detection and initial research. When Boris Slobtsov and Mikhail Sharavin found it, it was covered with small layer of snow, which was compacted. They did not have anything with them excavate her, so they took ice axe that was near the tent and started shovel the snow. The snow didn't have to be cut with great force, as some forum readers assume, but when shoveling the snow they hit the tent fabric with lot of snow on it, so they tore 2 large pieces, which then were lost during the transportation of the stick to the Ivdel city and beyond. The tent cuts were made by Dyatlov`s group members group and they are clearly visible in the picture https://dyatlovpass.com/resources/340/gallery/Dyatlov-pass-case-files-Churkina-photo-01-en.jpg  . It should be understood that the cuts marked with numbers “4” and “3” are the same cut, which went through the torn piece of fabric, which was lost. The rest of the cuts were small, and they were preliminary before they were made large. The other tent lacerations were the result of partially broken seams during transportation, with which this large tent was stitched their two smaller ones.
It would be big mistake think that Dyatlov's group went to trip with the kind of tent that they got after their deaths.

WAB:

--- Quote from: Teddy on November 02, 2020, 12:31:55 AM ---Can you point to me in whose testimony is mentioned that tent was burned?
There is nothing to it, the tent has been used in treks before
https://dyatlovpass.com/controversy#tentphotos

... and things have burned inside even on this trek...

... but I am always curious to witness a legend being born. Where in the testimonies or Churkina's test it says there are burn holes in the tent? And how big are these holes.
From Grigoriev's notebook 3:
"During the night, holes were added to the tent from the sparks. And in the sun they lit up like stars.
- We have become a whole planetarium, says Georgiy"

Keep in mind this is a very old tent carrying scars from many battles.

--- End quote ---

It is not quite so in the form fact. I wrote in the message above what they were like then on such journey. Although the fact that there were many old damages, it is true. It should only be noted that they were not critical from the beginning.
I will tell you about the way such cotton jackets are burned, that it would be clear why Rustem Slobodin is wearing such jacket.
Usually it happens this way: someone sits near a fire and a small corner flies away from it and gets on the fabric of the jacket. When he burns this fabric, the absorbent cotton that is inside starts to smolder. This process is completely invisible from the beginning, if someone did not accidentally see how the coal got. Gradually, the smell appears, but it is unclear where it comes from, because the initial hole from the coal is very small, and everything happens inside. Only the code will burn a lot (there are large external holes) people begin to understand what is happening, but the process of smouldering can not be stopped. You have pluck all the cotton that is smouldering. Usually this is impossible to do. There is a story, when the ships were carrying cotton and the bales of this cotton began smolden, the only way stop the process was throw overboard all the bales that were at least little smoldering. Otherwise, all the cotton that was on the ship will be burned.
I have a little example about my jacket:

I marked the place where the corner got and put white paper inside, so it would be clearly visible. When this corner got there, it was noticed very quickly, and we were able quickly pluck large piece of absorbent cotton until the decay spread over large area. That's why it was so good. This happened because the coal got on the front part, which is clearly visible.
If you noticed later, this jacket could look exactly like Slobodin. Probably, who was wearing that jacket that was worn on Slobodin was sitting back from the fire, so we could not understand for long time that the jacket was already smoldering. And if the burning area is large, it is already impossible to stop. That's why we get such big holes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version