Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Group looking for minerals on 28 Jan

(1/2) > >>

Manti:
Do we know where they looked for minerals? The diary states they only found pyrite and quartz veins (both worthless). But these wouldn't be found on the surface.. Did they enter an abandoned mineshaft? Does someone know what type of mine it was, and what ore used to be mined there?

KFinn:

--- Quote from: Manti on March 20, 2021, 06:15:31 PM ---Do we know where they looked for minerals? The diary states they only found pyrite and quartz veins (both worthless). But these wouldn't be found on the surface.. Did they enter an abandoned mineshaft? Does someone know what type of mine it was, and what ore used to be mined there?

--- End quote ---

That was at the former mining camp, N2.  There had been mining there previously, when the camp was in service.  Yuri Yudin found core samples to take back to the college. 

Manti:
It would be interesting to know what type of mineral or ore was mined there but I can't find any information on this. Is it possible it was some nuclear fuel precursor? The location seems to be in a river valley..

For example here is information about a gold mine in northern Sverdlovsk but it is easily visible on the map (it's an open pit mine): https://www.polymetalinternational.com/en/assets/where-we-operate/voro/
Around 2nd northern nothing on the map / satellite photos indicates an open pit. Must have been either an underground mine or a "leaching" one, uranium is often mined by pumping water through the rock layers but I don't know if this method was already in use in the 50s..

KFinn:

--- Quote from: Manti on March 20, 2021, 08:47:17 PM ---It would be interesting to know what type of mineral or ore was mined there but I can't find any information on this. Is it possible it was some nuclear fuel precursor? The location seems to be in a river valley..

--- End quote ---

It could very well be a precursor for nuclear fuel.  There are known magnetic anomalies in the region (even at Dyatlov Pass itself.)  I don't know for certain but will do some digging to see if I can unconcerned anything. 

KFinn:
I do like the way you are thinking here.  It may take me a day or two to get a decent response, just because I have to look into things. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version