Theories Discussion > General Discussion

The devil is in the details

<< < (3/4) > >>

Manti:

--- Quote from: Investigator on July 23, 2021, 06:55:56 PM ---Some of the others were able to dig out a "den," start a robust fire that lasted at least an hour, and take clothing from the bodies of the "two Yuris," but these three couldn't even get to the tree line? 

--- End quote ---
I don't think the 'den' can be regarded as fact. The branches with 4 pieces of clothing on top might have simply been laid on top of the snow, perhaps in an area with some wind cover.

In fact if they had a den, it would be highly unlikely for them to end up outside of it, all of them near each other. If it collapsed, some might not be able to dig themselves out and would be found on top of the branches. If it didn't collapse, how did they sustain their injuries?

That they started a fire is more likely, but again is anecdotal, as far as I know there is no photograph of the fire's remains. Presumably these were found under snow.. however due to all the other Mansi items found near the cedar under snow, it could be that the fire predates the Dyatlov group and was from Mansi hunters who have been there months before, or... weeks after the incident. Or the half-burnt tree branch might have been struck by lightning in a storm and is not from a campfire.

--- Quote from: Investigator on July 23, 2021, 06:55:56 PM ---However, I wouldn't concern myself too much with this, one way or the other, because it doesn't interfere with the most likely explanation of the "incident."

--- End quote ---
The most likely explanation of the incident being?

Monty:
I concur with Manti in all points

Investigator:

--- Quote from: Manti on July 24, 2021, 12:27:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: Investigator on July 23, 2021, 06:55:56 PM ---Some of the others were able to dig out a "den," start a robust fire that lasted at least an hour, and take clothing from the bodies of the "two Yuris," but these three couldn't even get to the tree line? 

--- End quote ---
I don't think the 'den' can be regarded as fact. The branches with 4 pieces of clothing on top might have simply been laid on top of the snow, perhaps in an area with some wind cover.

In fact if they had a den, it would be highly unlikely for them to end up outside of it, all of them near each other. If it collapsed, some might not be able to dig themselves out and would be found on top of the branches. If it didn't collapse, how did they sustain their injuries?

That they started a fire is more likely, but again is anecdotal, as far as I know there is no photograph of the fire's remains. Presumably these were found under snow.. however due to all the other Mansi items found near the cedar under snow, it could be that the fire predates the Dyatlov group and was from Mansi hunters who have been there months before, or... weeks after the incident. Or the half-burnt tree branch might have been struck by lightning in a storm and is not from a campfire.

--- Quote from: Investigator on July 23, 2021, 06:55:56 PM ---However, I wouldn't concern myself too much with this, one way or the other, because it doesn't interfere with the most likely explanation of the "incident."

--- End quote ---
The most likely explanation of the incident being?

--- End quote ---

Well I'm not going to argue the point about how the group thought of what is now referred to as the "den" among apparently nearly everyone who talks about this incident in any kind of detail, but there certainly does seem to be only one way the evidence fits together into a coherent story.  Now if one wants to claim the evidence isn't real evidence, that is a different endeavor, and would require strong evidence to refute the apparent evidence, which in an old case of this nature is highly unlikely to ever exist.  As to the obvious interpretation:  problem with the tent that they thought required immediate action, decision to try and survive the night by starting a fire, decision to do the "den" idea (either due to lack of confidence in the fire or some other reason), fall onto the rocky creek after taking some clothing off the "two Yuris" and trying to get back to it, three returning to the tent but freezing to death before getting there (I think Zina got angry and decided to go back on her own, then the other two went after her, to try and convince her to go to the "den," but it's not relevant to the "big picture").

Manti:

--- Quote from: Investigator on July 24, 2021, 05:46:27 PM ---As to the obvious interpretation:  problem with the tent that they thought required immediate action,

--- End quote ---
But the tent was found a month later with one side of it still standing, and one cut or tear. That is a problem but not an immediate one, it can be repaired like they have done on previous nights. And even if, let's assume, the tent was shredded to pieces somehow, that is still not an immediate emergency, they could still take 3 minutes and put on footwear, coats, gloves, and grab the saw and then walk down to the forest to start a campfire. Even a shredded tent is no worse than being outside with no shelter at all.

Monty:
Reply #12 is my preferred explanation but needs to explain why they left so ill equipped. Manti raises again the points I would harmonise. No chance in hell would they walk off and then one hour later think, oh my toes are cold.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version