Theories Discussion > Lightning strike / Ball lightning

St. Elmo's fire

<< < (2/3) > >>

PJ:

--- Quote from: sarapuk on May 11, 2020, 03:54:20 PM ---You hit the nail on the head straight away when you intimated that people would not be easily scared and would have the time and inclination to dress properly. And that would probably apply to both short or longer atmospheric phenomena.

--- End quote ---

The atmospheric phenomenons could scared easily but it is not enough in this case. This is how I see it:
Lightning strike - scared, could force to leave tent for long time but people are familiar with it so they will dress up and prepare before going to forest. And it usually not happens in winter
Ball lightning - scared, could force to leave tent immediately, even by cutting it out, but not last for long so the tent will be accessible shortly after. Even if followed by lightnings they will take some stuff from tent.
St. Elmo's fires - scared, could force to leave tent immediately, even by cutting it out, last long but they should figure it out that it is not as bad as looks like so they will take some stuff from tent.

Not sure if it is possible to have it all together, only in this case they will abandon the tent immediately, without returning for long time.
As well in winter all the atmospheric electrical phenomenons are very rare except St. Elmo's fires.

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: PJ on May 11, 2020, 05:17:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: sarapuk on May 11, 2020, 03:54:20 PM ---You hit the nail on the head straight away when you intimated that people would not be easily scared and would have the time and inclination to dress properly. And that would probably apply to both short or longer atmospheric phenomena.

--- End quote ---

The atmospheric phenomenons could scared easily but it is not enough in this case. This is how I see it:
Lightning strike - scared, could force to leave tent for long time but people are familiar with it so they will dress up and prepare before going to forest. And it usually not happens in winter
Ball lightning - scared, could force to leave tent immediately, even by cutting it out, but not last for long so the tent will be accessible shortly after. Even if followed by lightnings they will take some stuff from tent.
St. Elmo's fires - scared, could force to leave tent immediately, even by cutting it out, last long but they should figure it out that it is not as bad as looks like so they will take some stuff from tent.

Not sure if it is possible to have it all together, only in this case they will abandon the tent immediately, without returning for long time.
As well in winter all the atmospheric electrical phenomenons are very rare except St. Elmo's fires.

--- End quote ---

Well done for putting it this way.  Its good to have as many different perspectives as possible, especially ones that make sense.

firefox:

--- Quote from: PJ on May 11, 2020, 03:53:24 PM ---As I said, I am not big fan of the atmospheric phenomenons theory, I just write about the St. Elmo's fires as it is something that I am familiar with.

I think that St. Elmo's fires could scared them out of tent, even to cut it for quick escape as the sparks could be very frightening but after leaving the tent they will figure it out that it is not that dangerous - they were inside the tent with the St. Elmo's fires on it and nobody got hurt so it mean that at last we could touch the tent and take some gear before going down to forest.

Each of the atmospheric phenomenons has some weak points that make them not frightening enough to leave the tent immediately or not return to it for a long time. It is very unlikely that two or three of them happens in one time.

--- End quote ---

I feel that ball iightning, (and the injuries it can leave) is indeed frightening enough to force them to leave the tent...there are corroborating stories for this...

Paf:
St Elmo fire wouldn't have made then leave the tent, or they would have lay down every and each ski and ski pole around the tent (as it mean risk of lightening).
This phenomen is currant in high mountains (in the alpes, high climbers were talking about "the bees", as the first thing they got from it was the sound of it... And it mean a lot for them as lots of climber got hit by a lightening right after.), I doubt they never heard of it before.

But what about sprites ?

I don't think it would have made then leave the tent, since they had to be far enough to see it. But it matches pretty much exactly the description of of the Mansi. (though there are differents sprites, but they still CAN look that way !)

Nigel Evans:
Superb photo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version