Factual Information > Publications / Media

Fact check on The New Yorker article

<< < (2/3) > >>

Teddy:
Someone had the final say because the design department asked for bunch of hi-res photos and permission to use them. They were not used either. Instead we have this very depictive illustration.

Dona:
re Doug

--- Quote from: Teddy on May 15, 2021, 12:09:26 AM --- There is no way a group of people could have staged the scene and left no or few traces in the snow.

--- End quote ---

There are also no footprints leading from the cedar tree to the ravine..where we know they walked. Nor are there any footprints from  where Zena, Igor and Rustem went up the slope.

I think footprints, or lack thereof, are irrelevant in this case.

eurocentric:
What troubles me is it was felt necessary to diminish the hikers as part of what, however it is presented, seems like a retaliatory take down of a writer's article, to discredit him as not knowing what he was writing about.

In this line-by-line dissection he wasn't even allowed to warmly respect their memories by describing the individual promise and abilities of those snuffed out before they could fully realise their potential, something which is based on the testimony of those who actually knew the hikers and were alive when they were.

Instead they are drubbed down into ordinariness, yet even on paper Aleksander Kolevatov was hardly an average student.

It then turns out they were used as ammunition for no substantive reason at all since the writer had no editiorial control.

I hope the commercial ambition for this book doesn't see it develop into an all-consuming monster.

Teddy:
Thank you for calling me a monster. In the article there is not a word of Kolevatov. Dyatlov ain't genius. Lyudmila is not an ardent Communist.
You can't make up shite like ... Dyatlov’s group would ski two hundred miles, on a route that no Russian, as far as anyone knew, had taken before.
Why is he making up stuff?
How can there be a note found on Otorten if no one has been there? As far as anyone knew, more like as far New Yorker knew.
The whole article is political. From the very beginning all Douglas Preston wanted is to get Kuryakov on the line, to get his side of the story, because he sniffed a scandal.
I am the monster? Because I am trying not see what the press is doing with the truth?

The monster is telling me to continue posting true facts, you can do with them whatever you want.
The way things are right now soon you will be able to say or write anything about Dyatlov Pass and it would fly. Why bother with the truth, right? If all you want is build a monument. Who cares abut the truth.

I can't wrap my mind around this eurocentric: you are calling me a all-consuming monster for trying to preserve their memory for nine years now by publishing every fact I can get my hand on and spending all my time on the case, and you are glorifying someone that got an assignment, got paid and checked out, and didn't get it right?

Commercial ambition - no. I am trying to get the truth into your tiny brain by making it a book. It seems like this is the format people get to read information cover to cover.

Teddy:

--- Quote from: eurocentric on May 15, 2021, 02:07:01 PM ---Instead they are drubbed down into ordinariness

--- End quote ---

I am not drubbing them down into ordinariness. If you presume they were very advanced then it is one step to jump to the conclusion that they might have tried something advanced, try to do something no one had done before, pitch the tent on the ridge, attempt a longer leg of the hike, take unnecessary risk. I am trying to avoid portraying them as super hikers which they were not to keep in check what could be presumed they might have tried. For the sake of the truth, not to drub them down into ordinariness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version