April 27, 2024, 01:39:42 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Why walk all the way to the forest?  (Read 3914 times)

February 20, 2023, 11:09:20 AM
Read 3914 times

MDGross

It makes sense that if one of the theorized physical phenomenon happened (slab slip, avalanche, rock slide, wolverine, etc.) that the hikers, after walking a certain distance, would stop and consider if the danger had passed. Why walk a mile to the forest being so poorly dressed? Why not take a moment to ascertain that whatever it was that made them flee was no longer a threat?
I can think of three reasons to head all the way to the forest:
1. Whatever happened affected a large area and the forest was the only refuge. Toxic missile fuel, for example. Their hope was that the trees would provide safety.
2. They were forced to leave the tent by outsiders and had no choice.
3. They were irrational and unable to think clearly. The poisoning scenario works here or infrasound.

Please add reasons that I have overlooked.

February 20, 2023, 11:34:55 AM
Reply #1

Ziljoe

Thinking outside the box. They weren't getting away from the tent at all.

1. Whatever happened affected a large area and the forest was the only refuge. Toxic missile fuel, for example. Their hope was that the trees would provide safety.
2. They were forced to leave the tent by outsiders and had no choice.
3. They were irrational and unable to think clearly. The poisoning scenario works here or infrasound.
4. They followed/chased someone/something. ( Wolverine stealing a camera and case or one of the group having a fallout and going down the slope.  )

February 20, 2023, 11:50:32 AM
Reply #2

Manti

I can think of three reasons to head all the way to the forest:
Or cold weather. It would also affect a large area and the only refuge is a campfire.

2. They were forced to leave the tent by outsiders and had no choice.3. They were irrational and unable to think clearly. The poisoning scenario works here or infrasound.
Or hypothermia that started to affect them in the tent.

February 20, 2023, 12:34:41 PM
Reply #3

MDGross

Yes, hypothermia inside the tent should be on the list. Though I thought I read somewhere that the stove had wood in it, but maybe it didn't and so they couldn't light the stove.

February 20, 2023, 04:41:26 PM
Reply #4

GlennM

MDGross, depending on the time of day and general visibility, they could simply misjudge distances. If you can't see where you came from any more, it may be just as well to keep on going. At least they will get to the forest sooner or later. Time is going to be less important than completing the task.
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

The following users thanked this post: Manti, Почемучка

February 21, 2023, 12:11:29 PM
Reply #5

ilahiyol

If it is extremely cold, you will not go out barefoot and half-naked. It wasn't too cold. That would be ridiculous. Poisoning is also not possible... Because poisoned people cannot climb trees and dig a cave in the snow. Why would Igor, Zina and Rustem go back to the tent if something has affected the whole place??? Only one option remains. That is someone or something kicking them out of the tent!!!! It is also the unknown compelling Power.