Theories Discussion > Katabatic wind

The wind plays its own music

<< < (9/11) > >>

Marchesk:
I just watched the Youtube video about this:   

It's a good theory, but like all the rest, it doesn't quite explain all the evidence. The biggest detail would be abandoning the tent without proper clothing and other supplies that would have helped them survive in the woods below. The cold wasn't going to kill them immediately, so they had time to dress and grab other stuff from the tent. If they took the time to pack snow onto the tent to try and secure it, then they had time to dress properly. Which you would if you were going to walk a kilometer in the wind for shelter among the trees.

Also, the tent with 9 warm bodies already inside is a lot different circumstance than the Swedish skiers being outside when the cold hit them and having to dig a makeshift shelter in the snow, causing their hands to be too frozen and bloody to unpack the rest of their belongings. We know the Dyatlov group were comfortable enough to take off their outside wear, eat and compose a satirical newspaper before the incident took place. So their hands weren't in the same bad condition if/when the Kabatic wind started hitting the tent.

Another detail left unexplained is the camera around Zolotoryov's body in the ravine. He was a bit better dressed, there was a urine stain found outside the tent, and his photos had bright spots on them. So maybe he was taking pictures of a light source in the sky when the incident occurred. Or he was just messing around with the camera in the tent, but then why would he take it with him if they abandon the tent because of the cold? Again, the cold isn't going to kill them immediately, so they had time to make decisions on what to take and what to leave behind.

Lupos:
Hello,
I'm new here. I am very interested in the Dyatlov case. I am a physicist and I have been involved in meteorology for 30 years. So I have been designing a work for almost 3 months with the goal of describing the "Katabatic Wind" on the Kholat. I  save the work as a PDF file in my "Magenta Cloud" of German Telekom.  If the link is open, you can save the work. The German company guarantees that the downloads are virus-free.
Unfortunately, the text is only available in German.
The new version will be published here in early 2021.

Kind regards
Guenter Wolf

WAB:

--- Quote from: Lupos on August 09, 2019, 06:41:34 AM ---Hello,
I'm new here. I am very interested in the Dyatlov case. I am a physicist and I have been involved in meteorology for 30 years. So I have been designing a work for almost 3 months with the goal of describing the "Katabatic Wind" on the Kholat. I have saved the work as a PDF file in my "Magenta Cloud" of German Telekom. The link can be found below. If the link is open, you can save the work. The German company guarantees that the downloads are virus-free.
Unfortunately, the text is only available in German. But Google can help:-)

https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/VcMYlGtI

Kind regards
Guenter Wolf

--- End quote ---

Dear Guenter !
I am with great interest I have read your message and have fluently seen your article. It is very interesting information. I am much confident that your knowledge and desire study this theme very much will help will come nearer to true.
However, that I very badly know semantics of German and I can use only the technical translator (it much better Google, but “it has no scientific degree”  grin1) should very carefully and understand attentively that there is written.
Already now I have some critical remarks because I very well know that place. Especially it concerns that I many times was there in the winter.
For example, you have very carefully disassembled influence solar insolation for February, 01st and 02, however at that time there was low and continuous overcast, therefore these factors can influence only in the most insignificant degree.
Example 2. There it is possible wind exposition formation of only to 2 directions: NorthWest or nearly so Western and Northern only. A statistical parity of probability these approximately directions this winds is 8 … 10: 1. Under the available data (data received from participants of search and our statistics) during events there was NorthWest wind (heights 700 … 1000 m н at m.).
If you can read in Russian, I have article (by results of our expeditions) about weather supervision, analysis of the various weather phenomena and estimation of aerodynamics local streams on site: “tent – cedar”.
You will find my e-mail in personal messages, and can send inquiry in case of need.
Unfortunately I cannot promise send my remark under article very quickly, at me it is too much concomitant circumstances which to it can disturb.
   Thank you for your information.
          Kind regards
                        Wladimir,
                 PhD by aeronautics
                  Moscow,Russia

Teddy:

itWasTheCIA:
Very interesting thread. Too bad I'm a bit late to the party.

I first would like to say how much respect I have for everyone that made the journey to the Dyatlov Pass. With your dedication, your opinions are much more worth than mine.

I never heard of katabatic winds before, but it turns out that I live (part-time) in a region, where a kadabatic wind is very common, it's called Bura. It is a highly dangerous wind, and it kills many tourists each year, because it's strong and can appear all of a sudden. Children here are warned very early on about it. However, the danger typically is when you're at sea.

In my experience in mountaineering, there is a golden rule. You do never leave the safety of the tent. Even if I think of the most heavy (unrealistic) wind, I cannot imagine that it would drive the whole group out of the tent.

There are many documented cases of very inexperienced people in Antarctica. You leave the tent, you die. Others stayed in the tent for eleven consecutive days (or longer) and survived. Granted, there are no woods you could run to.

I think the katabatic wind theory had the best presentation I've seen in recent years, but I still do not believe in it.

I like the second part, though, this seems quite plausible, with the den crushing the four poor souls. I also talked to doctors and it turns out that it's not always easy to determine what happened pre- and postmortem. While you can figure out if a broken rib happened pre- or postmortem, you cannot exactly tell how much it was further damaged postmortem.

What I liked best about this new theory, is the connection to another, similar case. They did not have a tent though! We should look for other similar cases worldwide. There has had to be similar incidents as this one! Maybe they just didn't got so infamous, because nobody died? After all, the Dyatlov group could all have survived this incident... I wonder, if they would have found all nine around the fire, dying from hypothermia. The mystery about leaving the tent would be the same, but no flickering lights, no missing tongues, no radioactive clothes, no crushed heads or chests. Would this case have become as infamous as it did? I doubt so...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version