May 19, 2024, 02:58:37 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Where the Ravine 4 lay  (Read 884 times)

May 06, 2024, 05:06:23 PM
Read 884 times

GlennM

I looked at the current image file of the ravine 4 on Dyatlov Pass.com. It looks like they all just decided to take a nap. If I were to guess, they left the snow den and were following the stream down hill and got too lethargic. Surely, they were not posed.
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

May 06, 2024, 05:09:19 PM
Reply #1

KathleenDSmith1

Everyone and Teddy:

sending an image of where the 4 hikers laid, (found)...

Here is another image of the 4 hikers laid ..

Thanks
Kathleen Dee Smith

« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 09:14:33 PM by KathleenDSmith1 »

May 06, 2024, 08:44:26 PM
Reply #2

GlennM

See the image on Dyatlovpass.com. This is what I am referring to. Discussion is welcome.

May 07, 2024, 04:28:58 AM
Reply #3

Ziljoe

Are these the image's that you refer to Glennm

https://dyatlovpass.com/vasilii-zyadik.

It does look like they were perhaps sheltering and lying next to each other for heat.

It is odd that their heads all seem to be in line with the flow of the stream, I don't know if the water would have been frozen at the time , if the water was running I can't see the reason to lay their heads in that direction .

If they lay down to shelter , I don't think it's the best way to prevent heat loss without some spruce or trees underneath.

I can only think that they were perhaps making or extending a natural snow cave formed by the stream earlier in the season. They maybe took away too much snow at the bottom of nature's naturally formed arch and there was an instant collapse of the snow bridge above. For me, this is the simplest explanation for the injuries of the ravine 4. I know not everyone agrees with that but we have a significant amount of snow above the ravine 4 ( over 3 meters) . I would say that's enough to break ribs etc.

It's impossible to know which came first, was the snow level at ravine at ground level when the hikers arrived or was it already covered and filled in?.

Possible thoughts are,  they fell through a snow bridge and couldn't get out , whilst the other 5 hikers tried to think of a way to get them out, or  that it was Lyuda Dubinina that fell through first , if there had been a snow bridge formed, then she is found potential over the weakest part of a snow bridge which is the mini waterfall that would have created a bigger space under the snow. If this was the case, then the other 3 may have being trying to rescue her crawling in from the upper part of the stream and then there was a collapse?.

It all depends on the snow level. If it was out siders, I can't see them digging through 3 meters of snow to lay 4 bodies there . If the ravine was relatively empty , how would outsiders know it would fill up to over 3 meters of snow?. Why not put all 9 bodies in the same hole?

It's difficult to fathom any method in outsiders thought process of what they would leave behind for others to find.

May 07, 2024, 01:28:51 PM
Reply #4

MDGross

Very astute GlennM. That possibility had never occurred to me. Along the same lines, perhaps they knew their deaths were imminent. So Lyuda is praying. The three men lie close together because the simple act of touching someone at the end would be so comforting. It's difficult to believe that a running stream and shifting snow would arrange the bodies in such a precise way.

May 08, 2024, 01:28:28 AM
Reply #5

Олег Таймень

Everyone and Teddy:

sending an image of where the 4 hikers laid, (found)...

Thanks
Kathleen Dee Smith

This is not the correct image. The cedar is depicted in the wrong place. The four bodies should be located closer to the tent than the cedar.
If a mountain comes towards you, and you are not Mohammed, then it is a rockfall.

May 08, 2024, 06:57:40 AM
Reply #6

GlennM

The explanations all have merit and any could be the actual truth. On the other hand, if assassins were going to chuck the remains into a ditch, they would never rest in these postures. The way the ravine 4 lay shows what those living people did at the last minute of their lives.

What about paradoxical warmth? I would think all would assume a fetal position with bent elbows and knees. Instead, the three men are laying in a posture that looks relativelg unstressed, if not protective. If Lyuda took a tumble, I would think she would be facing the other way, if that is the direction they were travelling. As is, prayer makes as much sense as anything. Alternately, she could have been trying to get back with her friends, but unable to do so. Too, I find nothing indicative of any shedding garments, as one might expect in extreme hypothermia.

In terms of mind set, I am going to make a case for loyalty and lucidity over self preservation. Consider this: on the slope 3, Igor looks to have been assisted before the end. The Cedar 2 were obviously cared for. The Ravine 4 also evidence of conscious behavior  of solidarity and cooperation. I find it heroic.