Theories Discussion > Elk(s) attack

Elk(s) attack

<< < (30/31) > >>

BottledBrunette:
Very interesting theory.  Would have never thought of that one.  And you are correct, elk could probably attack them, because deer have been known to attack people.  I think I saw a case where a woman was found dead, murder was suspected, but, a deer attack was mentioned as probable cause, because some hikers said they had been attacked for no reason by deers on the same path the woman was found dead, some were injured if I remember correctly, so you could be on to something with the elk attack. 

LoMai612:
I m in Wyoming in the US - we have a lot of Elk and I think that this theory has a lot of strengths but when I started thinking about it, my experience was it makes more sense if it was a Moose (notoriously cranky and very dangerous if provoked!!). I started looking up elk in Yugyd Va National Park (where Dyatlov Pass is located or at least south of). What I found is what they call "elk" is actually what in North America is called a Moose. I then looked up Siberian Moose and WOW! those critters are beasts!!
I am going to think on this some more but it would not even have to be a heard of moose - just one giant pissed off moose could cause a lot of damage. I am picturing a scenario where Semyon Zolotaryov and Nikolay Thibeaux were outside of the tent to do a bathroom break and either saw or heard the Moose. They try to take a picture of it and possible that triggers it to charge them. The others in the tent hear them getting head-butted around or stomped on and cut the tent to get out quickly to help. At this point they would likely have no idea what was attacking and the shouts of pain could have caused immediate panic to escape the confines of the tent to help.
I think the injuries can all be explained by a moose attack. Either a moose using its massive head or antlers or - as they often do - use their hooves to "punch" and stomp. (I encourage anyone who has not seen a moose attack to search out a video and watch it.) Pumped with adrenaline - they are not completely aware of the cold and they see their tent gapping in ruins and a moose still right nearby or close enough it is still a threat so they try to get their badly injured selves away from danger.
Moving away slowly would be the best way to not startle or anger the moose again and to back away from the danger. It also seems like Thibeaux or even Lyudmila could have been injured enough to warrant carrying them. I think I agree with statements by others that Rustem Slobodin died first from the blow to his head as they descended the hill. I think they would have been desperately trying to reach the trees to assess extent of injuries and to hopefully start a fire while determining what to do next.
The two Yuri's could have been climbing the tree to 1) see if the moose had moved on or 2) look for any signs of Rustem. I think Zinaida and Igor reached the Cedar tree area but later went back toward tent to see if they could find Rustem or possibly make it back to the tent.
As for the four in the ravine - they were clearly trying create a survival space but I have to think how their situation played out.
Anyhow - I am feeling that MOOSE is the answer.

(Hope I am not offending anyone with the hunting pic but it is the best for showing just how massive the siberian moose are)

sarapuk:
Highly unlikely to be Deer or Elk or Moose. There would have been more evidence found and it doesnt fit in with the types of injuries etc etc.

LoMai612:
I disagree. The injuries are absolutely consistent with moose injuries. I’ve now spent hours reading reports of moose attacks as well as a scientific forensics paper on identifying injuries from moose in autopsy’s and they match the Dyatlov injuries perfectly. Head injury and flayed chest/broken ribs are the main injuries a person sustains when attacked by a moose. They can kick in every direction and usually knock a person down then kneel on the chest to crush ribs. There are numerous news articles, photos, and videos supporting this.
Also, moose will NOT back off. They will hold ground until the threat they perceive has left the area. Sometimes they will even pursue the threat as Survivorman guy video relates as his most intense wilderness experience.
Another detail I’ve worked out is that the distance from tent to trees is the same or very close to the distance between where they left their cache and the tent. I believe someone made the wrong call as to what direction the cache was and they went the wrong direction. This answers an important question I had about why they would have even attempted a 1500 meter hike. The answer being they couldn’t return to tent because the moose was lingering and they believed they could reach the cache. Had they not been disoriented, they would have reached the cache.
Question: I’ve seen people saying there was more moonlight than I’ve found by looking at moon chart for that date. I think moonlight was at a sliver which made orienting at night even more difficult.

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: LoMai612 on December 21, 2019, 10:06:55 AM ---I disagree. The injuries are absolutely consistent with moose injuries. I’ve now spent hours reading reports of moose attacks as well as a scientific forensics paper on identifying injuries from moose in autopsy’s and they match the Dyatlov injuries perfectly. Head injury and flayed chest/broken ribs are the main injuries a person sustains when attacked by a moose. They can kick in every direction and usually knock a person down then kneel on the chest to crush ribs. There are numerous news articles, photos, and videos supporting this.
Also, moose will NOT back off. They will hold ground until the threat they perceive has left the area. Sometimes they will even pursue the threat as Survivorman guy video relates as his most intense wilderness experience.
Another detail I’ve worked out is that the distance from tent to trees is the same or very close to the distance between where they left their cache and the tent. I believe someone made the wrong call as to what direction the cache was and they went the wrong direction. This answers an important question I had about why they would have even attempted a 1500 meter hike. The answer being they couldn’t return to tent because the moose was lingering and they believed they could reach the cache. Had they not been disoriented, they would have reached the cache.
Question: I’ve seen people saying there was more moonlight than I’ve found by looking at moon chart for that date. I think moonlight was at a sliver which made orienting at night even more difficult.

--- End quote ---

First of all there is no evidence on the Tent or in the Tent or near the Tent to suggest that such an animal was involved.  Secondly there is nothing going down to the Forest that suggests that such an animal was involved.  Thirdly at the Fire near the Cedar Tree there is no evidence to suggest that such an animal was involved. Fourthly at the so called Den area the injuries do not show that such an animal caused them. If such an animal was involved we would expect to see much more damage and damage to outer skin etc etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version