April 27, 2024, 03:24:43 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Pitching a tent in 1959  (Read 3293 times)

March 18, 2024, 07:52:40 AM
Reply #30

Partorg

« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 08:10:58 AM by Partorg »

March 18, 2024, 08:11:40 AM
Reply #31

Partorg

Quote from: Ziljoe
I know how to melt snow water!
It's how Dyatlov intended to do it on the slope is my question.
The oven had a length of 40 cm and a rectangular cross-section. This made it possible to place on its upper surface 4 aluminum mugs (9 cm high and ∅ 9.5 cm) of 0.5 liters each.

The following users thanked this post: Ziljoe

March 18, 2024, 09:15:29 AM
Reply #32

anna_pycckux

[From book 1079 #msg24746 date=1710628335]
From book 1079: we are giving you a chance to make up your own scenario before you find out what we think actually happened [/quote]
Teddy, I would like to know if you have a photo with a fallen tree and with the alleged place where the tree fell on the tent?

March 18, 2024, 09:30:16 AM
Reply #33

Ziljoe

Quote from: Ziljoe
I know how to melt snow water!
It's how Dyatlov intended to do it on the slope is my question.
The oven had a length of 40 cm and a rectangular cross-section. This made it possible to place on its upper surface 4 aluminum mugs (9 cm high and ∅ 9.5 cm) of 0.5 liters each.

Thank you Partorg.

I always appreciate your measured approach. Do you think this method would be enough to sustain the fluids for 9 people. ?

I believe that they pitched the tent on the slope but I do question the logistics of melting snow and hot food , for the evening and the morning for the next day.

It is not a trick question but if there' was no wood found , or little wood in the tent I can't work it out in my head. .

Reading on our sister website ( Dyatlov pass 1) they also discuss the fluids ( water)

For me it's difficult to know camping skills in such weather. I trust your judgement.

March 18, 2024, 11:20:04 AM
Reply #34

Partorg

Sharavin and Brusnitsyn confidently recall that the furnace was filled not only with pipes but also with firewood.
From this we can draw 2 conclusions:
1. The group was going to spend the night on the slope, not below. Because you have to be an idiot to carry firewood from forest to forest, and even over a pass.
2. Since this amount of firewood could last for 30 - 40 minutes, they were not intended for heating, but for cooking breakfast -  no normal tourist would agree to "hit the road, Jack"16 km without a mug of hot cocoa.

I've never used ovens of this exact size, so I can't say for sure how much hot (~60-70°C) water you can get in half an hour by working this way. But existing experience suggests that ml 400x9 is possible.
When driving alongr elatively flat and hard surface of the ridge crest, energy consumption is much less than when moving on the loose snow of the valley, less moisture is lost and this should have been enough for at least one way (to Otorten)
Most likely it would be enough for the return trip along the ridge. And if the weather had forced them to go down to the Lozva valley, they would have stopped there for the next night and there would have been no problems with firewood and water.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 03:35:35 PM by Partorg »

March 18, 2024, 08:09:11 PM
Reply #35

GlennM

"Every time I go back to the case I see why is it so hard to solve, because they died where they were found, but in the meantime, while dead, they went places and came back. Not on they own of course. We have layers of evidence left at a different time, and now we are trying to peel off who left what. Like the fire, the labaz, the tent...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 09:00:48 AM by Teddy »"

Much has been made of the bodies removed and replaced. Not as much has been made of their clothing. Apparantly, and according to Nurse Solter, new clothes were provided. They were not found with new clothes. They were found with their own clothes and clothes taken from the deceased. It takes a long time to thaw a corpse. Their clothes could or should have been scissored or knifed away to aid thawing for the post mortem. So, getting a body to the morgue, thawing it, washing it, changing clothes and then taking it back to the forest and posing them like they are approaching a bogus tent on the slope, is simply too much to accept, mainly because the evidence does not support it.

Looking for a 65 year old pile of rotted spruce branches under an equally old fallen tree is a brave thing to do, but an expensive thing. The fact that the tent on the slope did have skis under it speaks to experience. It is doubtful conspirators would attend to that detail, but would rather just stick the skis up in the snow to make the tent allmthe more noticeable at a distance.
We don't have to say everything that comes into our head.

March 19, 2024, 04:15:32 AM
Reply #36

Osi

I'm writing this without knowing exactly how far Tedy's fallen tree is from the cedar, just guessing. I think it must be pretty close. In order to cause death through negligence and then attempt a hasty cover-up, shouldn't the criminals have disposed of the bodies much further from the scene? For example, 2 Yuri had to be located 1 km away from the fallen tree. Because the searchers would notice the fallen culprit tree. And if it hasn't snowed on it.
A real jolt is better than a wrong balance.

The following users thanked this post: GlennM

April 20, 2024, 09:53:25 PM
Reply #37

KathleenDSmith1

Everyone and Teddy:

This snipped two photo.., all 9 hikers pitched a tent before the fatal incident ...1st at Auspiya and then at 2nd pitching of the tent at Mount Kholat Syakhl

Thanks
Kathleen Dee Smith