Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Chernobyl

(1/5) > >>

amashilu:
A few weeks ago, I watched the docu-drama "Chernobyl" for the first time. The producers claim that they attempted to re-create the disaster as closely as possible to the real events. 

Aside from the drama ... I want to note that there was one theme woven throughout the episodes that has brought about a shift in my thinking regarding the DPI. I was previously not aware of the extent to which the Soviet powers will go to preserve the "perfect face" of their country, that they are smarter and brighter and better in every way than all other countries, that they are incapable of defect or mistake. Even if it means the death of many of their citizens, they are willing to do what needs to be done to preserve this better-than-you image. According to "Chernobyl," this included almost unbelievable attempts to hide, deny, and cover up the incident.

I don't think this stance would have suddenly arisen in 1986, but as with most cultures, had been around for many years, surely as far back as 1959 and before.

Therefore, the point of this post is to add a layer of believability to those theories presented on this forum and elsewhere that believe the Soviet government had a hand in the incident and/or the cover-up, if there was one. That idea no longer seems implausible. And it actually makes me a little more skeptical of the "official" explanation of an avalanche, as well. Quickly cover up the incident and issue an official explanation ... hmmmm, there could be a pattern here.

GlennM:
There could be a connection . I believe the group did not file a hiking plan, and only Yuri Yuden knew it and he said confidentially that nobody should be concerned until February 12( or15). My point is that assassination would be difficult if they, the killers, didn't know where to go. There is no report of a military or paramilitary expedition following them, nor is there any indication in journals that points to furtive behavior from the hikers or from their surroundings. The DP9 made no secret of their presence along the route. They were not running, nor hiding.Their Labaz, is evidence they wished to return from Ortoten. I see no reason to support assassination, nor coverup. These kids were not dissenters.

I do remember in Donnie Eichar's Dead Mountain book, there was some question as to why a foreigner would be interested in this case. " Don't you have any mysteries of your own", or something to that effect.

Maybe your point is that the authorities suppress information to the Russians and the free world for the sake of image...any image.

GlennM:
These conspiracy theories about lost cosmonauts involve others. Mikhail Rudenko is a scientist who worked for the Soviets and claimed that secret space flights took place in 1959, 1958, and 1957. It all came out in 2011, where he said that three pilots died in those flights, but their names weren’t published.

More secrecy

Missi:
I don't think much of the Chernobyl-series. I only watched the first 20 minutes, I have to admit (I'm phobic of radiation, so I sadly had to stop), but read a lot about it. I really wanted to see, how they put it to film and which differences I'd find to what I know about the accident (and I know a lot about that, I'd say).
The radiation burns they show, appear much too fast. And that's only one thing I remember about the false depiction of things. There were much more, I do remember that.

You are right, though, that there was a lot of secrecy involved. Some information that was not conveyed was not communicated because of lack of knowledge at the time being. Other information was consciously kept secret.
For example did the firefighters not know, that there was radiation involved. They thought it was just something burning. But then it was not known to the people who called them, that the hull of the reactor was breached.
Another example is the fact, that at first, they did not know, how high the radiation really was. But they did know, that it exceeded their geiger counters. Nevertheless they only communicated the numbers measured, not the fact that those couldn't be correct. This was to hopefully cover up the extend from the authorities. (Needless to say, that they didn't succeed.)
And for a third example, it was days of constant radiation before the authorities decided to evacuate the people of Prypjat. And even then told them it was just a safety measure and they would only be gone for a few days. The latter surely contributed to working against a panic. But the time they took before deciding on evacuation is crazy!

Knowing that, it's completely plausible, that A the investigation of the DPI was just fucked up, B there were some people on the lower end of the "chain of command" who wanted to safe their own asses or C the government itself wanted to keep something hidden.
All in all I find B the most fitting, but that's just my personal opinion.

GlennM, there was a plan, but it was not transmitted to the committees as should have been. Yuri Yudin knew, that they expected to be longer, because Igor told him to pass that message on. Yudin forgot to do so. But when he came back (after some time with his family), he was surprised, that the group was not back.
The lack of a report that someone was following the group is no evidence, I'd say. If there was an order, they would have kept it secret. And if it was a good military or paramilitary group, they would not let their "prey" know of their presence.

It seems I really have to get the book by Eichar...

As for the cosmonauts: I don't believe there is a way to have secret space flights. The start may be kept secret. But at some point, the rocket would have been detected. Therefore I'd expect the flights to have failed end thus killed the pilots. Am I wrong? Do you have a link with that information? I never heard of that.

tenne:
that is a very common theme in Russian history. The sub that went down and the crew died, the russian government refused to admit it and then refused help when they couldn't deny it anymore. The Tunguska event, in 1908, was the fault of the american's using electricity to cause that explosion (latest theory is it was a metorite that exploded above the ground, not by hitting it)

as well, on the russian forum, no one argues that there wasn't a cover up or one wasn't a possibility, same as it seems to be accepted idea that both Semyon and Alekander were KGB.

There are a lot of comments on that forum about the corruption and fear of that era

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version