Theories Discussion > Catabatic Wind - Acute Stress Reaction - Cold Air Drops

Acute Stress Reaction

<< < (2/4) > >>

Investigator:
"Pro" investigators work with the evidence that exists.  They can look for other evidence, but until that is "booked in," one should see what the existing evidence says first.  In this case, the evidence is abundant, though some of it was mishandled, unfortunately.  They were not incoherent or irrational once they left the tent area and in fact it seems they secured the tent well (otherwise, with the winds coming down that mountain, their belongings would have been spread out all over the mountainside by the time the rescuers got there).  There are two possible irrational elements, though; one is why the tent was cut open, if it was, and two, why they didn't at least take their blankets with them (the footwear and heavy coats might have gotten frozen up).  We can only guess at the first, but we can't assume that when they cut the tent all was well.  It must have been incredibly cold and ice might have been collapsing the tent.  When they tried to knock it off, the ice situation might have become even worse, and so they decided that securing the tent was crucial.  If they fought, leading to the cutting of the tent, it would be impossible to ever demonstrate that for sure, but there is some evidence that points in this direction.

That leaves us the question about leaving the tent without their heavy coats and proper footwear (except apparently for the two who acted as sentries that night), or even blankets.  Prior to 1959, at least in the USA, there had been newspaper stories about people surviving in the snow in ways that seem incredible.  In a nation with a lot of cold weather, like the Soviet Union, it's likely there were similar stories, and it may be that they simply thought hypothermia would take longer to set in than it did, or that they would be able to find adequate shelter down at the tree line, or perhaps their notions about hypothermia were very unrealistic.  If they take the blankets, the blankets are likely to get iced up and then they'd have to deal with that problem, so if they thought survival wouldn't be that difficult after they left the tent, it would make sense that securing the tent and its contents would be the top priority.  Often, we can look back and ask, "why did they do that," but in fact its easy to second guess, especially if in this case, Igor insisted that he knew exactly how to survive for several hours outside the tent that night.

Star man:
Hi Lupos,

It doesn't suprise me that you have considered acute stress reaction and possible effects on the mental state of the hikers.  From  my own considerations, I have picked up on the strange behaviour of the group.  There are still many unanswered questions.  The whole thing is a bit bizarre.  One key piece of evidence that I have "interpreted" as very odd, are the cuts made from inside the tent.  If the case files are correct and these cuts were made by the hikers themselves, then it reveals some useful insights I think.  If you examine the cuts in detail, you will see that at least one of the cuts, is through a seam on the tent.  This would have  been difficult to cut quickly, and since it is very close to the door of the tent it does seem to contradict the notion that its was made to make a quick escape.  The cut after it is made, appears to have been pulled, tearing a bigger hole in the tent.

What puzzles me, is that the mental state of the hikers was affected by something, how could it have happened so quickly.  The tent state, suggests that they were eating or had just finished their evening meal, when things went bad.  I would imagine that after eating that meal and settling in, they would have updated their diaries, but this had not yet happened.  They had produced the pamphlet, which suggested they were in good spirit.  So what could cause them all to deteriorate inmental state so quickly?  Also, there are posts and evidence to suggest that the hikers were taking photos of something.  Semyon wearing his camera and Yuri K set up his camera on a tripod to photograph something.  What sort of psychosis could result in the rapid deterioration of cognitive state of at least most of the group in such a short space of time?

Regards

Star man

sarapuk:

--- Quote from: Investigator on October 10, 2020, 06:00:27 PM ---"Pro" investigators work with the evidence that exists.  They can look for other evidence, but until that is "booked in," one should see what the existing evidence says first.  In this case, the evidence is abundant, though some of it was mishandled, unfortunately.  They were not incoherent or irrational once they left the tent area and in fact it seems they secured the tent well (otherwise, with the winds coming down that mountain, their belongings would have been spread out all over the mountainside by the time the rescuers got there).  There are two possible irrational elements, though; one is why the tent was cut open, if it was, and two, why they didn't at least take their blankets with them (the footwear and heavy coats might have gotten frozen up).  We can only guess at the first, but we can't assume that when they cut the tent all was well.  It must have been incredibly cold and ice might have been collapsing the tent.  When they tried to knock it off, the ice situation might have become even worse, and so they decided that securing the tent was crucial.  If they fought, leading to the cutting of the tent, it would be impossible to ever demonstrate that for sure, but there is some evidence that points in this direction.

That leaves us the question about leaving the tent without their heavy coats and proper footwear (except apparently for the two who acted as sentries that night), or even blankets.  Prior to 1959, at least in the USA, there had been newspaper stories about people surviving in the snow in ways that seem incredible.  In a nation with a lot of cold weather, like the Soviet Union, it's likely there were similar stories, and it may be that they simply thought hypothermia would take longer to set in than it did, or that they would be able to find adequate shelter down at the tree line, or perhaps their notions about hypothermia were very unrealistic.  If they take the blankets, the blankets are likely to get iced up and then they'd have to deal with that problem, so if they thought survival wouldn't be that difficult after they left the tent, it would make sense that securing the tent and its contents would be the top priority.  Often, we can look back and ask, "why did they do that," but in fact its easy to second guess, especially if in this case, Igor insisted that he knew exactly how to survive for several hours outside the tent that night.

--- End quote ---

How can the evidence be abundant. There is hardly any evidence at all. There is probably an abundance of missing evidence. How can you know how they felt upon having to leave the Tent. We dont know the circumstances of them having to leave the Tent.

Lupos:
Hello "RidgeWatcher",

thank you very much for the very interesting information. I have watched the film, with German subtitles.
The disorder shown in the film is listed as "F24" in the "ICD-10 WHO version of 2016".

https://icd.who.int/browse10/2016/en#/F20-F29

There it is an
"induced delusion" - "psychotic infection" - "symbiotic delusion".

As I have read it is not necessarily limited to 2 people. Nor does there necessarily have to be a relationship.
Social isolation is seen as an important risk factor for the onset of the disorder.

The medical phenomenon I have described is a stress reaction (ICD-10 F43) without a mental disorder in the person (this is in contrast to the Swedish twins!). It is a normal physiological or psychological reaction to a traumatic event.

https://icd.who.int/browse10/2016/en#/F40-F48

"...beginning with a kind of "stupor", with some narrowing of consciousness and limited attention, an inability to process stimuli and disorientation. This state may be followed by further withdrawal from the environmental situation (up to dissociative stupor, see F44.2) or by a state of agitation and hyperactivity (such as escape). "

These symptoms generally appear within minutes of the stressful event and resolve within hours or 1-2 days.
Here there is an immediate and clear temporal relationship between the stress and the onset of symptoms.

Trigger factors can be:

Experiencing rape, sexual abuse, acts of war, hostage-taking, torture, accidents, natural disasters.

What these events have in common is that they involve a threat to life or a serious risk of physical damage.

It suffers this disorder:

13% traffic victims
19% Victims of violence
20% Technical accidents
33% Witnesses to a shooting

If you look at the number of these crimes for a year in a country, you realise that this stress reaction is common. In the US, I estimate it to be 5000 citizens per year.

For me it is absolutely clear that such a reaction also took place in the Dyatlov group. More or less with everyone.
Nobody can tell me that these young people, in the face of death, left the tent for certain death without any signs of stress reactions. That would be supermen.

Dr Borzenkov (WAB) wrote:
"...All their actions in the tent are conditioned by the absence of rational activity and decisions contrary to everything, including the instinct of self-preservation." "...From this it can be concluded that they did not make decisions that correspond to logic and full human intellect."

R. Holmgren:
 "...that the story of Dyatlov Pass is not largely rooted in a rational mindset, but in a mythical and often irrational understanding ..."
"...Even if the reader tries to maintain an approach, there may be circumstances more complicated than mere hypothermia..."
"...Whatever killed her could really be called an "unknown compelling force" - or should we rather say "unthought compelling force""
"...Don't think for a second that we are completely rational when we approach the case."

I would also like to point out that my meteorological analysis has been heavily reworked and added to. I will publish all this here in the next few weeks or months, as a new report.
It has turned out that, in addition to the description of the "Catabatic Wind", a much more disastrous effect has occurred.
Using additional old meteorological weather maps (reference from WAB), the phenomenon of the "Cold Air Drop" was detected in the area of the Urals. This is a high-altitude cold-air drop of more than -40°C. When this comes under the influence of high pressure, it drops quickly and the cold air also falls vertically to the earth's surface. With "Wind-Chill-Effect", the temperature in the tent fell below -50°C. This is symbolically like to "Quick-Frozen". The tent had to be left immediately.
And this is exactly what happened on the night of 1/2 February 1959. This additional "BOOST" penetrated the lower valley, with trees, where the group had taken protection and made survival impossible.

In the end, the decision to leave the tent immediately was only due to an extreme and sudden event. The friends of the "Yetis" and "UFOS" and "Killers" and "Animals" also agree on that.
But these theories cannot explain the death of all the members as it happened. If anything, only meteorology and physics can.

sarapuk:
Re Lupos. [[ In the end, the decision to leave the tent immediately was only due to an extreme and sudden event. The friends of the "Yetis" and "UFOS" and "Killers" and "Animals" also agree on that.
But these theories cannot explain the death of all the members as it happened. If anything, only meteorology and physics can. ]]

Yes people would behave like that if they were scared to death of something. There is no Theory that can explain the death of all the Dyatlov Group. We need more Evidence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version