March 28, 2024, 12:40:22 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
General Discussion / Re: Pitching a tent in 1959
« Last post by Teddy on March 16, 2024, 11:38:34 AM »
Yudin went there in 1963. But I don't believe they knew where the den was back then.

Something else is on my mind. In all interviews Koptelov, who saw the bodies before anyone else (with Sharavin) claims there was very little snow below the bodies. He is persistent throughout the years.
2008: "The area that we found and where the fire was, is flat and slightly covered with snow."
2011: "And there was no snow under them!"
2013: "I claim that they were lying on the ground, there was very little snow."

What if there is anomaly and under the cedar the ground stays clear, then the tent could be directly pitched on the ground. This will explain why the hikers crossed the ravine and pitched the tent under the cedar, because there was very little snow. Then I won't find branches.

And what do you make out of his drawings how the bodies were laying, this is impossible. How do we choose what to believe and what to attribute to... you fill in the blanks.
« Last post by Ziljoe on March 16, 2024, 10:40:36 AM »
I think Yuri Yudin may have got a few things wrong. How did he know they didn't match the trees around?
« Last post by Ziljoe on March 16, 2024, 10:32:50 AM »
Sorry, my poor grammar and translation problems.

On the English version it says fir, in the diary entry , when I use the Russian text, the auto translate says spruce .

When I say I don't think they would use both, I meant, I don't think they would use fir/spruce branches AND skis. This is my assumption on what's written in the diary because I think you would want to keep the bindings out of the snow if you could . Plus you would need to find or make a level spot for the skis on the forest floor that would possibly make as much work as cutting some fir or spruce branches?.

Fir and spruce seem to translate for both across languages, in translation and perhaps ignorance of those with knowledge about trees.

« Last post by Teddy on March 16, 2024, 10:04:02 AM »
Could have fooled me. They should be from the type of trees that are near by but the needles will be gone. I don't think I will be able to tell the difference.
Yudin made a note that the branches used for the den (flooring) did not match the trees around.
https://dyatlovpass.com/yudin-notes#trees
"it is said that the flooring was made with fir branches, but in fact there were only spruce trees around." It is written in the criminal case that the searchers found a flooring made of fir branches in the Lozva valley, but only the tops of some spruce trees were cut nearby.

« Last post by Ziljoe on March 16, 2024, 09:49:15 AM »
In the diary, it would seem practice to use  fir branches, I don't think they would bother with both?

"As usual we quickly start a fire and pitch the tent on some fir branches. We are warmed by the fire and go to sleep"
« Last post by Teddy on March 16, 2024, 08:54:11 AM »
I can't move the tree but I can dig around it. I have secured a metal detector.

Problem is that they didn't have time to discard a lot of cans, they didn't have supper that night.

Every time I go back to the case I see why is it so hard to solve, because they died where they were found, but in the meantime, while dead, they went places and came back. Not on they own of course. We have layers of evidence left at a different time, and now we are trying to peel off who left what. Like the fire, the labaz, the tent...
« Last post by amashilu on March 16, 2024, 08:44:41 AM »
I imagine the spruce bed would be under the fallen tree, or near-to-under. You will need some powerful tools to move that tree. Trees are incredibly heavy. Is this what you plan to try?
« Last post by Teddy on March 16, 2024, 08:37:29 AM »
And if you ask me how come no one has found them it is because no one is looking.
In 2022 when I spent the night near the cedar my comrades were looking for Yeti and paranormal activity at night, they even had night vision googles.
I mean WTF.

« Last post by Teddy on March 16, 2024, 08:29:02 AM »
This is what I am trying to find near the cedar, a bed of spruce branches on the same dept as the tin can which is manufactured in 1958. Problem is the spruce branches don't respond to metal detector. I hope to find more metal objects and dig close to them.

Another interesting find would be a second fire pit. Because the one we know about was only powdered with snow and I don't believe it belonged to the Dyatlov gruop.
« Last post by amashilu on March 16, 2024, 08:11:09 AM »
If the tree falling theory is correct, then I would put my money on spruce branches, because the tree would have snapped the skiis like little sticks when it fell.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]