Theories Discussion > General Discussion

Why did they turn back the day before?

<< < (2/4) > >>

GlennM:
Manti, good points. I am reminded that they had to rotate positions during the hike periodically replacing the trail breaker. I seem to recall that they also took an extra rest day along the way. It leads me to think if they worked smarter rather than harder, they would achieve their goal. I think having a line of sight to my destination would be very motivating. Alternately,  snow plowing through a serpentine tangle of trees in a forest with no guide but a compass makes for a superb challenge, but an inefficient use of energy and supplies. Do you feel that the presence of the tent on 1079 really settles the question about their actual route? Every theory I've read about, mine included, has holes that defy logic or the sense that is common. What a chase this is, yes?

Manti:

--- Quote from: GlennM on January 31, 2022, 02:33:17 PM ---Manti, good points. I am reminded that they had to rotate positions during the hike periodically replacing the trail breaker. I seem to recall that they also took an extra rest day along the way. It leads me to think if they worked smarter rather than harder, they would achieve their goal. I think having a line of sight to my destination would be very motivating. Alternately,  snow plowing through a serpentine tangle of trees in a forest with no guide but a compass makes for a superb challenge, but an inefficient use of energy and supplies. Do you feel that the presence of the tent on 1079 really settles the question about their actual route? Every theory I've read about, mine included, has holes that defy logic or the sense that is common. What a chase this is, yes?

--- End quote ---
Indeed, what a chase!

I really can't get myself to accept a "staged scene" scenario where the tent is planted on the slope, no matter how little it makes sense for them to have camped there.

To demonstrate my concern better, I made this amateur drawing:

Once they cross the pass, it's downhill along Lozva... yes it might have been deep snow and a tangle of trees, in any case easier than their route up to the pass. But they turn back?

Were they lost? If there's no incident and they continue on, they still wasted 2 days, for what? To camp in the cold wind with no stove?

GlennM:
Manti, your drawing suggests to me that backtracking and ultimately camping on higher ground made strategic sense. They could have been lost, but I doubt it. I think plowing snow just wore them down so going upslope is smarter, not harder. The team laid their cache and kept hard won altitude. Perhaps the onset of hypothermia and a significant fright sent them scrambling for safety and the warmth if a fire. I could see them going 50 or even a hundred yards, but all the way to the woods with bo boots? It defys reason.

Charles:
nothing here

Игорь Б.:

--- Quote from: Charles on February 17, 2022, 11:17:12 AM ---They wanted to make it to the summit of Kholat Syakhl, the next day. They gave up Otorten and wanted to make Kholat Syakhl as a substitute, for the hike not to be a complete failure.

--- End quote ---
От лабаза до вершины Холатчахля меньше двух километров. На такие вылазки палатку с собой не берут.
Кроме того, палатка была обнаружена на прямой лабаз - Отортен, при этом Холатчахль (1079) уже остался позади:
http://1723.ru/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=5133&view=findpost&p=65394

Масленников очень точно нарисовал схему. Когда в 2013 году было найдено место палатки схема Масленникова подтвердилась. Дятловцы шли прямо по компасу на Отортен:
http://1723.ru/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=5133&view=findpost&p=66402

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version