March 29, 2024, 05:12:33 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Shrunken spleen  (Read 3100 times)

January 18, 2021, 02:50:58 PM
Read 3100 times

Manti

As the subject says, this is a description found in I think all the autopsies. Common to the entire group.

Is this a generic symptom of hypothermia? I could not find much about this on the internet at all.
Or if not, what can cause this? Their spleen capsule is described as "wrinkled".

As far as I know the spleen's function is to filter blood and replenish red blood cells, and it also forms part of the immune system.

In the grand scheme of things it like the rest of the body is mostly water and if the changes are merely due to freezing, wouldn't other organs exhibit a similar appearance?

January 19, 2021, 12:32:33 AM
Reply #1

RidgeWatcher

I was wondering whether the autopsies were so compromised that possibly shrunken spleen may have been used for ruptured spleens. Semyon and Lyuda had flail chest injuries which could easily have resulted in ruptured spleens, from the blows, impacts or unknown force. The spleen is a soft organ that can rupture easily, once bleeding begins it is difficult to stop and often the entire spleen will be removed which has its own consequences down the line. It is not rare that a motor vehicle accident victim or a beating victim has a ruptured spleen.

So, shrunken spleens or ruptured spleens?

January 19, 2021, 03:58:36 AM
Reply #2

Nigel Evans

It could be connected to the cold temperature, the body restricts blood flow to the limbs increasing the core's blood pressure (which the kidneys counter by dumping urine into the bladder) so a wrinkled spleen post mortem could be a sign that it was recently experiencing unusual pressure which has since abated.

January 19, 2021, 01:10:57 PM
Reply #3

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
As the subject says, this is a description found in I think all the autopsies. Common to the entire group.

Is this a generic symptom of hypothermia? I could not find much about this on the internet at all.
Or if not, what can cause this? Their spleen capsule is described as "wrinkled".

As far as I know the spleen's function is to filter blood and replenish red blood cells, and it also forms part of the immune system.

In the grand scheme of things it like the rest of the body is mostly water and if the changes are merely due to freezing, wouldn't other organs exhibit a similar appearance?

I should point out that its the Spleens Capsule that is described as wrinkled or shrivelled, not the actual Spleen, which seems to be about the right size under the circumstances.
DB

January 20, 2021, 05:10:11 PM
Reply #4

eurocentric

I word-searched the autopsies. Two of them, Rustem and Aleksander, make no mention of the spleen, and where Igor's is mentioned it's said to be have been small.

Normal average spleen size is 5 x 3 x 1.5 inches (12.7cm x 7.62cm x 3.75cm). Women have smaller spleens, and taller people bigger. With the exception of Yuri D's 1cm spleen thickness, which must be a typo/mistranslation, the other 5 measured spleens fall within normal parameters.

One thing which can cause the spleen to shrink is pneumococcal infection, if it gets into the bloodstream.

Yuri D
The spleen is flabby to the touch, the capsule is wrinkled, the size of the spleen is 1 x 7 x 3 cm, the tissue of its dark-cherry color on the incisions, the pulp gives a slight scraping from the surface of the incision.

Yuri K
The spleen is 9 x 6 x 3 in size. When sectioned the tissue of the spleen is dark red in color. The spleen is limp and its capsule is shriveled, and pulp is released with heavy scraping.

Igor
The spleen is small lobular when sectioned and of purple-red color.

Zina
The spleen is limp when palpated and its capsule is shriveled. When sectioned, the tissue of the spleen is dark cherry in color. The slurry from the surface of the section is given with much scraping. The size of the spleen is 9 x 6.2 x 2 cm

Lyuda
The spleen is flabby when palpated, and the channels are still wrinkled. The spleen size is 7 х 5 х 2 cm.

Semyon
The spleen is feeble during palpation. Its capsule is shrunk. The size of the spleen is 10 х 7 х 3 cm. The spleen tissue is of dark cherry color when sectioned.

Tibo
The spleen is flaccid when palpated, its capsule is shriveled, and is sized 9 x 5 x 3 cm. When sectioned, the tissue of the spleen had a dark red color and gave a thick pulp when scraped.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:46:17 PM by eurocentric »

January 21, 2021, 01:30:50 PM
Reply #5

Manti

Thank you eurocentric.

So it's not even for all the group.. Also i've looked at the Russian scan, indeed you are right the 1 x 7 x 3cm must be a typo, the Russian one has 11 x 7 x 3 cm which fits the normal size.
Perhaps there's nothing unusual here