Theories Discussion > General Discussion

DNA of Semyon

<< < (2/5) > >>

WinterLeia:
To clear up a syntax error, I made in my post, Prince Philip is a descendant of Queen Victoria through the maternal line, not her granddaughter 😀.

tenne:
the maternal DNA would prove he was a part of the same family that descended from the same woman. So it could be anyone in the extended family very easily. I was very surprised that anyone who is supposed to be an expert in DNA like him would make such a false statement. doesn't bode well for truth in results IMO

WinterLeia:

--- Quote from: tenne on February 26, 2023, 06:38:16 AM ---the maternal DNA would prove he was a part of the same family that descended from the same woman. So it could be anyone in the extended family very easily. I was very surprised that anyone who is supposed to be an expert in DNA like him would make such a false statement. doesn't bode well for truth in results IMO

--- End quote ---

I think the problem is that you are comparing a large database of DNA results to a case where the scientist has two samples from people who are related, but are not part of the same nuclear family. If that is all 23DNA had for you, it wouldn’t be able to tell you all that information either. That’s because it can’t match the largest part of your DNA to a particular person. You inherit one half of your DNA from each of your parents, but only one fourth from each of your grandparents. And even though siblings inherit their DNA from the same two people you did, it’s not the same sequence. Otherwise, siblings would be identical. This further complicates things when it comes to identifying cousins and all that.

Now, if you have DNA from all those people, well, yes, it would be accurate because you can clearly see all the relationships. You can see the big picture, the entire family tree. They even say on the site that the more people in your family that they have DNA for, the more accurate the results. The geneticist doesn’t have a database of Semyon’s relatives. Even worse he doesn’t have it from any member of Semyon’s nuclear family (parents, siblings, child). Of course, I’m not saying that they don’t know who Semyon’s nuclear family is. But without DNA from them, they can’t tell what part of his genetic code comes from his father and what part comes from his mother. So for the work that the geneticist is doing, mitochondrial DNA is the only accurate way to prove a distant relationships with Semyon. And if they had DNA from his child, the geneticist said they would still need to get nuclear DNA from him, which may be impossible considering the state of the remains.

tenne:
"A study of chromosomal (nuclear) DNA allows you to establish kinship only at a very close genetic distance: parents and children, siblings.

This is an inaccurate statement from an expert. kinship can be determined down to 6th cousins by the amount of shared DNA. While the nuclear DNA would not say great great niece, it would give the amount of shared DNA and that would be used to determine how close he was to the other person. The fact that he stated it wouldn't, and he is an expert, makes me very suspicious of his test results

tenne:
The chart I posted is what is used by search angels to help people who are adopted find family, when there is usually no information other than DNA. Normally the search starts with more distant family and narrows down but no names are needed to tell the relationship, within parameters, between the people. Unless of course the searcher is very lucky and gets a close match right off the bat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version