March 18, 2024, 11:20:48 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Chum pretty much disproves strong winds  (Read 12114 times)

February 26, 2021, 03:24:43 PM
Read 12114 times

Manti

The search party found a "chum" not far from the site of the incident, on the edge of the forest:

In my opinion this structure would have collapsed in katabatic winds or a hurricane, or anything strong enough to tear the tent, snap its ropes, or topple people or trees. It's at the edge of the forest so similarly exposed as the tent on the ridge.

Therefore:
  • Something (someone) else tore the tent's fabric
  • If a tree fell, it wasn't due to the wind. Of course trees can fall for many other reasons for example simply dying and drying out
  • I can see weaker winds blowing money or coats around but other things like the knife sheath, shoes, flashlight were probably dropped where they were found
  • The wind in itself couldn't have been the cause why they left the tent

There is another possibility: the Mansi created a chum after the incident. This not only contradicts their testimony, but looking at the antler, those are probably from last summer as they don't seem fully developed and moose* lose their antlers for the winter. Although I am not sure this is true for all species and also they could have used an older antler.

*: elk? moose? These words seem to refer to a different species in Europe vs America so apologies if I used the wrong word.

February 26, 2021, 04:21:55 PM
Reply #1

KFinn

The search party found a "chum" not far from the site of the incident, on the edge of the forest:

In my opinion this structure would have collapsed in katabatic winds or a hurricane, or anything strong enough to tear the tent, snap its ropes, or topple people or trees. It's at the edge of the forest so similarly exposed as the tent on the ridge.

Therefore:
  • If a tree fell, it wasn't due to the wind. Of course trees can fall for many other reasons for example simply dying and drying out
  • I can see weaker winds blowing money or coats around but other things like the knife sheath, shoes, flashlight were probably dropped where they were found

There is another possibility: the Mansi created a chum after the incident. This not only contradicts their testimony, but looking at the antler, those are probably from last summer as they don't seem fully developed and moose* lose their antlers for the winter. Although I am not sure this is true for all species and also they could have used an older antler.

*: elk? moose? These words seem to refer to a different species in Europe vs America so apologies if I used the wrong word.

I know the chum was somewhere around a mile away, which could change how much of the same weather pattern hit there as opposed to the ridge but it is a good point to consider.  And one I haven't thought of before.

As to elk/moose, I'm an American.  I just saw my first ever elk last year, lol.  I mean, I used to drive through ELK County almost every weekend so I'm not certain how I missed them all of my life.  I honestly have never thought of if there is a difference; I just know that they are both BIG.  Too big for me to want to come up on one in the dark, lol!!! 

-Ren

February 26, 2021, 04:48:22 PM
Reply #2

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient

Therefore:

But the Chum was not on the exposed Mountainside. Big difference in location. Meaning a very strong wind on the Mountainside may have only been a weak wind near the Forest.
DB

February 26, 2021, 05:03:27 PM
Reply #3

Manti

Well I looked into this a bit:

American elk, aka. wapiti:

Does not live in the Urals.

Moose, aka. Eurasian elk:

Does live in the Urals and in  northern latitudes all over the world.
But the mightiest are the caribou:

They only live in Canada and Alaska.

But the Chum was not on the exposed Mountainside. Big difference in location. Meaning a very strong wind on the Mountainside may have only been a weak wind near the Forest.

Well, it seems to be just above the treeline and if not the trees, nothing else will stop the wind. Also the snow is very shallow, the grass peeks through which also points to the location being windy (snow is swept away and not deposited like in the forest). It's true that it was a mile away but I wouldn't expect major differences in wind speed over a mile.

February 26, 2021, 05:07:42 PM
Reply #4

Manti

Also, reindeer:

They also live in the Urals but the antlers on the chum are from moose.

February 26, 2021, 05:16:27 PM
Reply #5

sarapuk

Ive camped out in Hurrican Force winds when Trees have been blown down and blocked roads etc. But the Tent survived untouched, with me in it. Distance to Hurrican damage less than a mile.
DB

March 10, 2021, 12:37:49 PM
Reply #6

tenne

Not that its important to this thread but Caribou are not the mightiest of all, moose are. Caribou weigh about 159-182 KG for males and moose are 400 kg and can go up to 700kg. They are also the most problem of all of them. Elk are very calm, Caribou mainly live up high in the mountains but moose will, and have, attacked logging trucks around here. I had one charge my car because I was between him and where he wanted to go. I got out of the way in a hurry

March 17, 2021, 11:02:29 AM
Reply #7

Manti

Yes there is a moose attack theory and when I was new to the case I considered it to be one of the most likely.. They tend to charge and "jump" at people who scare them and I thought it might explain the fractured chest of Semyon and Lyuda.

March 17, 2021, 01:43:15 PM
Reply #8

sarapuk

Yes there is a moose attack theory and when I was new to the case I considered it to be one of the most likely.. They tend to charge and "jump" at people who scare them and I thought it might explain the fractured chest of Semyon and Lyuda.

They also leave a bit of a mess where they have trampled. Hair and Hoof Prints on the ground and on any unfortunate people who are caught up in the melee.
DB