March 29, 2024, 01:18:22 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Frame 34 is Military Flares?  (Read 2585 times)

July 25, 2022, 07:11:11 PM
Read 2585 times

WarpedWing

Has anyone considered whether frame 34 could be a photo of a cascade of military flares taken with the lens tube accidentally pushed in?

Here are a few links to videos of military flares. They can come in individual stars, and they can be deployed in clusters.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Sorry if this has been discussed before. I am aware that the prevailing notion on this site seems to be that it's a "technical shot," and that's very likely, but I enjoy thinking of the possibilities.

Thanks!

July 25, 2022, 08:05:29 PM
Reply #1

Manti

I don't know about the photo itself, it's too out of focus to be able to draw any conclusions, but flares do seem to look a lot like the unexplained light phenomena others have described seeing around the time of the incident.
Including what the searchers described seeing at night over the pass..

The following users thanked this post: WarpedWing

July 25, 2022, 08:49:37 PM
Reply #2

WarpedWing

Right, flares were reported, I heard. Air or ground released, I wonder?

Pyrotechnics being used in the vicinity of the Dyatlovites might also explain some of the reported burns to the tops of the trees in the forested area.

July 26, 2022, 12:20:37 PM
Reply #3

GlennM

Does anybody think that the presence of flares is enough to motivate what happened next?

July 26, 2022, 02:18:25 PM
Reply #4

Ziljoe

Hi Glenn,

I also ready reports of glowing orbs, lights in the sky etc. There is discussion on the forum somewhere. I'm sure it also discusses the camera technology at the time, shutter speeds etc. Pros and cons about if that photo is related given the settings of the camera.

The following users thanked this post: WarpedWing

July 29, 2022, 04:55:22 PM
Reply #5

WarpedWing

I don't know about the photo itself, it's too out of focus to be able to draw any conclusions, but flares do seem to look a lot like the unexplained light phenomena others have described seeing around the time of the incident.
Including what the searchers described seeing at night over the pass..

I’m interested in hearing more about lights that others saw that night. How many times they saw lights, color, etc. Do you know any good sources for that info? Thanks!

July 29, 2022, 04:58:24 PM
Reply #6

WarpedWing

Does anybody think that the presence of flares is enough to motivate what happened next?

Unless the Dyatlovites had flares themselves, I would take any evidence of flares being used around Kholat Syakhl that night as very suspicious considering the group wasn’t brought to safety.

July 29, 2022, 08:01:34 PM
Reply #7

GlennM

The one indisputable fact is that the photo was taken. All behavior is motivated, so it must have seemed important at the time. For me, it would only be important if I felt it was going in my direction and posed a physical threat.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:04:09 PM by GlennM »

July 29, 2022, 08:50:46 PM
Reply #8

WarpedWing

Indeed, unless the photo was taken accidentally after the incident by a searcher or technician, which is what I originally thought. But after reading that entire thread on the Russian forum where they try to recreate frame 34, my mind was changed. I saw just what conditions were required to attempt to recreate such a pattern. It turns out that it was impossible to recreate the multiple points of light without using, well… multiple points of light. And light bright enough to cause a lens flare.

I guess that shouldn’t be a shock, but somehow it was, at least to me. It seems to imply that there are several bright light sources in the shot along with what seems to be a foggy area, and the foggy area doesn’t appear to be a film error. It sounds all so conspiracy theory-ish, but there does seem to be something to this frame 34.

I agree that it might be a threat. If it really is a photo of something the Dyatlovites were concerned about, they were somewhat prepared to film it, or it lasted long enough for someone to take a poor quality snap.

August 02, 2022, 09:36:11 PM
Reply #9

GlennM

I am supposing that the reason this photo is of any interest is that it may be germane to the matter of the hikers compelled to leave the tent. If that is so, then the light source(s) appear to be some distance away and someone had to be outside the tent to take the photo. Its poor result may imply a hurried shot. The streaking suggests perhaps a wrong exposure or multiple light sources. Then again, it could simply be an accidental snapshot,and nothing more.