April 29, 2024, 10:28:13 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: What Semyon was Holding  (Read 1172 times)

April 04, 2024, 08:49:45 AM
Read 1172 times

WinterLeia

Although I can’t remember the details offhand, I remember that it was reported by someone that when the bodies outside the den were found that Semyon was holding a pad and pen in his hands, but as it turned out, hadn’t wrote anything on the pad. I didn’t really give much credence to the story at the time because it didn’t sound like it was very well supported. But in looking over Semyon’s autopsy report, I remembered it, because the autopsy notes that Semyon had a compass in his left hand, which I have no trouble believing. A compass seems very much the type of thing I would imagine he would have had and been using if they were forced out of their tent in the middle of the night. But how could he have been holding a pad, pen, and a compass in hands where it was quite likely he couldn’t even feel his fingers? Has anyone even tried to reconcile this oddity?

The following users thanked this post: KathleenDSmith1

April 04, 2024, 09:10:24 AM
Reply #1

Teddy

Administrator
Zolotaryov wasn't holding anything. The only person claiming that Zolotaryov was holding a notepad which Ortyukov allegedly took from his hand and cursed that the pages were blank is Askinadzi. No one else saw the notepad. Askinadzi in his latest interview with me confirmed that he didn't see the notepad in Zolotaryov's hand, only presumed that Ortyukov took it from his hand. The pen in the other hand is web embellishment. So Askinadzi saw Ortyukov looking at an empty notepad but where did it come from he can't say. Could have been in a pocket.

On the other hand, which is more interesting to me, is that Askinadzi doesn't remember any camera on Zolotaryov's neck. Askinadzi said that if a notepad caused such an excitement then a camera would have been a sensation, but no one saw a camera. That came later while we were looking at the post mortem photos that surfaced on the internet. Then again we have a damaged film from a camera. Which camera did it come from? Also a thorough reserach of cameras shows that if Zolotaryov had a camera on his body then he must have carrying two cameras because one of his cameras was found in the tent. https://dyatlovpass.com/cameras

The compass is a wrist compass, worn like a wrist watch. Zolotaryov didn't take it on purpose, it was strapped on his hand.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 09:29:31 AM by Teddy »

April 04, 2024, 09:29:13 AM
Reply #2

WinterLeia

I’m not a medical expert, but I would have had thought an autopsy report would use much more specific language and not say the compass was in his left hand if it was on his wrist. But maybe that’s just how it is translated in English.

April 08, 2024, 10:15:21 AM
Reply #3

eurocentric

In this photo Semyon appears to be wearing a wrist compass on the left arm.

Vintage Soviet wrist compass:

These all seem to have thin leather straps, and maybe the strap snapped and so at autopsy the compass appears to be across the hand? Or, as you suggest, it's a mistranslation.

I studied the photo's of Semyon's hand and IMHO I think what is taken as a small pen, like a bookie's pen, is in fact the natural crease of his palm. That and the gesture of his hand gives the impression he is making notes. And it's hard to see how a paper notepad could survive months of ravine meltwater.

My DPI approach - logic, probability and reason.

April 08, 2024, 01:49:37 PM
Reply #4

Axelrod

Russoin word РУКА denotes arm+hand together.
Russoin word НОГА denotes leg+foot together.

Compas may be named "vintage" but it it very similar to my own.  I rarely use it. The way is ususally clear w/o compass.
We have full flat of "vintage" objects except of TV set and some objects.

April 15, 2024, 04:50:10 PM
Reply #5

KathleenDSmith1

Everyone and Teddy:

Unable to find the photo where the searcher took the notepad out of Semyon's hand (unbelievable) but I do have a photo of the original search and has his hand to his ear????

I found what image/photo in the movie " an unknown compelling force"...
Thanks
Kathleen Dee Smith

« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 06:24:00 PM by KathleenDSmith1 »