April 19, 2024, 10:55:06 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: They broke off into 2 factions..  (Read 11319 times)

March 24, 2021, 08:43:28 PM
Reply #30

KFinn

I just went thru Zena's diary and I dont see anything about it..

Its her comment from 28 Jan (erroneously written as 28.2.58,) that you mentioned above ("Sasha Kolevatov tested his device, then quit,") and in the Evening Otorten, ("Hiking drag sled.
 Good while riding on the train, by car and on horseback. Not recommended for freight transportation on snow.  For further information contact chief constructor Comrade Kolevatov.")

Sometimes, we have to remember that the diaries are translated from Russian into English for us to read here.  Words which have a meaning to us, are not always the literal definition of the translated word.  In this case, I think you are focusing on the word "device" to mean a small machine or technical equipment, which in modern English is what we most associate the word with.  If you look at the inventory lists, there are no such machines or technical pieces of equipment.  He simply tried to tie a couple of skies together to drag some if their things behind him.  It didn't work.  He was an engineering student and it was well intentioned, lol!  I give him props for the ingenuity, though. 
-Ren

March 24, 2021, 09:15:50 PM
Reply #31

Dona

I cant find that... have a link?

March 25, 2021, 12:31:19 AM
Reply #32

Игорь Б.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 12:44:51 AM by Игорь Б. »
An example of the impact of chemical weapons of a skunk (wolverine) in a tent:
http://1723.ru/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=5133&view=findpost&p=117054

March 25, 2021, 07:07:10 AM
Reply #33

Dona

Everything here is pure supposition..  someones personal opinion.. There is no discussion about any sledge.. its made up..All of it..One says they arrived ta the forest in intervals etc..There are no facts here.. Its multiple theories only..

March 25, 2021, 07:11:14 AM
Reply #34

Dona

Of course you  would use what was available to dig  snow cave..but at the end of the dya, you are going to have to use your hands..

Remember the Swedish hikers that died in a similar situation. There was blood everywhere.. from digging.

Also,remember, the Otorten Evening News  was fictional.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:57:02 AM by Dona »

March 25, 2021, 08:08:00 AM
Reply #35

Dona

KFinn....

I found this.. Not sure  if it is relevant or was for 1959..but it does say alpine equipment only..so there are restrictions on equipment..

"III (moderately difficult) - snow and ice sections at an angle of 35°-45°. Steep rock features with good and numerous holds, not requiring artificial aids - descent of such passages being done by free climbing or abseiling.> Basic alpine equipment only, plus normal rock climbing gear."<

https://www.summitpost.org/russian-alpine-grades/178646

March 25, 2021, 08:19:41 AM
Reply #36

KFinn

KFinn....

I found this.. Not sure  if it is relevant or was for 1959..but it does say alpine equipment only..so there are restrictions on equipment..

"III (moderately difficult) - snow and ice sections at an angle of 35°-45°. Steep rock features with good and numerous holds, not requiring artificial aids - descent of such passages being done by free climbing or abseiling.> Basic alpine equipment only, plus normal rock climbing gear."<

https://www.summitpost.org/russian-alpine-grades/178646

Alpine style is considered the "purist" form for various outdoor sports.  Nowadays, you mostly hear about it for high altitude climbing; you can't use supplemental oxygen, I don't believe porters can help you carry equipment beyond a certain altitude, etc.  I don't know that it would necessarily intersect with Soviet winter tourism, however.  In the respect that they pushed the "you aganist the elements," it was a very purist style of sport.  I did spend a couple of hours last night going through various manuals on Soviet tourism but most of them focused on the 1970's and beyond.  Still looking, however.  I did make note that a new youth tourism bureau was formed in 1958, less than a year before Dyatlov.  That has nothing to do with this convo but it adds to the volume of reasons why Khruschev might have wanted to be directly involved in the DPI; bad press when they are telling everybody to do it.
-Ren

March 25, 2021, 08:27:57 AM
Reply #37

Dona

Yeah.. I was just pointing out the equipment restrictions are used..

What is DPI?

I tried to remember what video it was but, that wont actually prove anything.. I am positive that someone said that tho..
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 08:33:30 AM by Dona »

March 25, 2021, 08:52:01 AM
Reply #38

KFinn

Yeah.. I was just pointing out the equipment restrictions are used..

What is DPI?

I tried to remember what video it was but, that wont actually prove anything.. I am positive that someone said that tho..

DPI is short hand for "Dyatlov Pass Incident."  I'm so sorry; I use vernacular for easier typing and I sometimes forget not everyone is inside my head to know what I mean (and feel lucky you are not in my head, its a scary place, lol!!!) 
-Ren

March 25, 2021, 09:30:16 AM
Reply #39

Dona

LOL. Thanks.. But, you sound pretty level to me :)

March 25, 2021, 10:13:42 AM
Reply #40

KFinn

LOL. Thanks.. But, you sound pretty level to me :)

You are very kind!!  I have my moments... its the crazy redhead part of me, lol!!
-Ren

March 25, 2021, 10:19:41 AM
Reply #41

Dona

Could be worse.. you could be a blond  LOL  Just kidding  folks!

March 25, 2021, 11:00:39 AM
Reply #42

KFinn

Could be worse.. you could be a blond  LOL  Just kidding  folks!

LOL!!!! 
-Ren

March 25, 2021, 06:38:01 PM
Reply #43

sarapuk

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
The device the nuclear scientist was lugging  up the mountain that Zena talks about him having and testing along the way

There was no device.
DB

March 25, 2021, 06:40:33 PM
Reply #44

sarapuk

It doesnt mention it..

This question of needing a Level 3 Certificate doesnt specify exactly what they should or shouldnt do in order to get one.
DB

March 25, 2021, 06:44:58 PM
Reply #45

sarapuk

Ok sounds good.. I wonder if Teddy would know..

Of course Teddy would know. The gaining of a Level 3 Certificate did not require a set examination. They only had to achieve certain things during their expedition.
DB

March 25, 2021, 08:09:55 PM
Reply #46

Dona

The question is whether they were allowed sleds to carry equipment.. I heard it was not alloweed

March 26, 2021, 09:51:21 AM
Reply #47

Dona

"There was no device."

Zena documented the device

March 26, 2021, 01:41:09 PM
Reply #48

sarapuk

The question is whether they were allowed sleds to carry equipment.. I heard it was not alloweed

Well they had Skis and Backpacks so what not a simple Sled  ! ?
DB

March 26, 2021, 01:41:54 PM
Reply #49

sarapuk

"There was no device."

Device is probably not the best description of it.
DB

March 26, 2021, 01:42:43 PM
Reply #50

Dona

They had to hand carry everything... Thats what I heard, for a grade 3 certification

March 26, 2021, 01:43:59 PM
Reply #51

Dona

"There was no device."

How do you know ? You dont know what it was..

March 26, 2021, 03:27:22 PM
Reply #52

sarapuk

"There was no device."

Better to think of the so called device as a contraption or piece of equipment. Device seems to conjure up something technical.

DB

March 26, 2021, 03:35:16 PM
Reply #53

Dona

"There was no device."

Do you men a sled? LOL That is definitely not a sled..Thats laughable.

Better to think of the so called device as a contraption or piece of equipment. Device seems to conjure up something technical.

March 26, 2021, 09:40:03 PM
Reply #54

Manti

Simons team has barely a scratch on them..
They were found months later and in flowing water... if you look at the autopsy reports, their outer layer of skin was already missing so it's not possible to determine if they had scratches or not because of this.

March 27, 2021, 07:22:40 AM
Reply #55

Dona

Simons team has barely a scratch on them..
They were found months later and in flowing water... if you look at the autopsy reports, their outer layer of skin was already missing so it's not possible to determine if they had scratches or not because of this.

Thats false.. Even Ludas nipples are still intact..