March 28, 2024, 02:34:07 AM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Woodpeckers  (Read 3541 times)

April 08, 2021, 02:07:34 PM
Read 3541 times

Manti

Just posting this for the benefit of anyone here, or those searching the internet ending up here, who has wondered how a woodpecker comes into picture when discussing the fate of the Dyatlov Group.

Dyatlov apparently means Woodpecker in Russian.

This mystery was easy to solve.

April 08, 2021, 02:11:00 PM
Reply #1

KFinn

Just posting this for the benefit of anyone here, or those searching the internet ending up here, who has wondered how a woodpecker comes into picture when discussing the fate of the Dyatlov Group.

Dyatlov apparently means Woodpecker in Russian.

This mystery was easy to solve.

A lot of the translations make me giggle.  One text I was reading kept referring to "the revived" and I just had images of a zombie Dyatlov rising from the autopsy table.  The translation was actually referring to the coroner, Vrozdenny.   But it gave me pause, lol!
-Ren

April 08, 2021, 02:33:44 PM
Reply #2

marieuk

Thank you for clearing up that mystery for me. 

April 08, 2021, 04:27:51 PM
Reply #3

Manti

A lot of the translations make me giggle.  One text I was reading kept referring to "the revived" and I just had images of a zombie Dyatlov rising from the autopsy table.  The translation was actually referring to the coroner, Vrozdenny.   But it gave me pause, lol!
That's funny! And he chose a strangely fitting profession..

April 08, 2021, 04:47:51 PM
Reply #4

Manti

And then there is..

April 08, 2021, 06:04:39 PM
Reply #5

KFinn

And then there is..

I knew that guy was fishy, lol!!! 
-Ren

April 08, 2021, 06:43:32 PM
Reply #6

RMK

And then there is..

Which translation machine is that?

For that matter, do you really think you're getting the most accurate results if your Russian input is in Latin script rather than Cyrillic...?

April 10, 2021, 08:19:47 AM
Reply #7

eurocentric

Maybe it explains why Igor liked to spend his time sleeping in forests and climbing trees.

I did a quick search for the origin of all their names -

first names
Igor means warrior, from the old Norse.
Yuri is of course George, hence Yuri K being known as Georgiy. Derived from the Ancient Greek Georgos, meaning earth worker/farmer.
Lyudmila is Slavic for lover of the people.
Semyon is of course Simon, the listener.
Nikolay is the East Slavic version of Nicholas, meaning victory of the people (and Tibo is from Thibeaux, the French for Theodore, or Theo, gift of God).
Aleksander is the Russian variant of Alexander, from the Greek, defender of men.
Zinaida (Zina) is from Zenaida, a feminine derivative of Zeus, the God of the sky and thunder in Greek mythology, who inhabited Mount Olympus.
Rustem may be derived from the Persian name Rostam, an epic figure who slayed a dragon.

surnames
Dyatlov is indeed woodpecker.
Dubinina is said to derive from the Russian word dubina, meaning cudgel, bludgeon or club.
Cannot find Doroshenko, but assuming the shenko means offspring, the doro is Russian for Theo, meaning gift of God. Son of the gift of God.
Krivo in Russian is said to mean askant, (sideways/crookedly).
Thibeaux-Brignolle - Thibeaux is Theodore, and Brignolle a place name in the south of France, so offspring of Theodore of Brignolle.
Zolotaryov is a Russian-language occupational surname derived from золотарь, or goldsmith.
Yudin means Jude, a former Eastern Orthodox church calendar name, from Jude The Apostle.
Slobodin is hard to determine, but may come from Sloboda, which means freedom in South Slavic.
Kolevatov is also hard to determine, but Kolev may be derived from a Bulgarian version of Nikolay, the peoples' victory
Kolmogorova - some sources say Kolmogorov, the name of a famous mathematician, means hill in Russian.

putting it all together...
Igor Dyatlov - warrior woodpecker.
Lyudmila Dubinina - armed lover of the people.
Yuri Krivonischenko - unconventional farmer's son.
Semyon Zolotreyev - listening goldsmith.
Yuri Yudin - apostle farmer.
Yuri Doroshenko - god's gift to farming.
Nikolay Thibeaux-Brignolle - son of God who gave victory to the people. A Christ-like figure?
Rustem Slobodin - freedom fighter who slayed the mythical foe.
Aleksander Kolevatov - defender of mens' victory.
Zinaida  Kolmogorova  - goddess of sky and thunder who inhabited the hills/mountains.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:25:47 AM by eurocentric »

April 10, 2021, 01:40:30 PM
Reply #8

marieuk

Loving the names.  Interesting and fun at the same time.

April 10, 2021, 08:25:50 PM
Reply #9

Manti

Which translation machine is that?

For that matter, do you really think you're getting the most accurate results if your Russian input is in Latin script rather than Cyrillic...?
https://www.bing.com/translator