March 28, 2024, 02:55:55 PM
Dyatlov Pass Forum

Author Topic: Specific detail - standing in a line after exiting the tent  (Read 16106 times)

February 07, 2019, 03:40:01 AM
Read 16106 times

Nigel Evans

This has come from the following :-
Also the footprints of the students don’t suggest that they were running around in panic. There are multiple testimonies that they were walking rather than running and their footprints looked like parallel chains. Prosecutor Tempalov reported in his radio message: ‘The footprints showed to me that the people were walking in regular strides.’ We have even more impressive testimony from both Koptelov and Sharavin that before the students began their descent, they were standing for some time in one row, shoulder to shoulder. This testimony was misused by the Discovery Channel in their TV special Russian Yeti: The Killer Lives, first aired in 2014. In the translation of Koptelov’s testimony, one essential Russian word was omitted. ШЕРЕНГА which means ‘people standing in line for attention’, like in the Army. The TV special attributes this to a Yeti. Koptelov describes the prints as ‘deep’ because in the Russian language there is no equivalent word for ‘imprinted’. The speaker just wanted to distinguish between imprinted and raised prints. They appear strange to him (and he certainly explained why he thought so, but he was cut off before he finished) because it seemed that the people were not walking but standing.

Oss, Svetlana. Don't Go There: Post Mortem (p. 119). LiberWriter.com. Kindle Edition.
So imo this is a very significant detail, they have to make a very hasty exit from the tent but then they stand in a line nearby. This imo limits the possibilities to "at gunpoint" or "some non sentient threat" that could be observed safely from a distance. I'd also point out in passing that this somewhat undermines the avalanche and hurricane theories.... kewl1
But when i look at the Case Files for the reports from Koptelov and Sharavin i can't find anything under their names?

Can anyone help?

February 07, 2019, 08:36:43 AM
Reply #1

Star man

Case-Files Achievement Recipient
It’s an interesting area for discussion.  There does seem to be a lot of “opinion” from the eye witnesses though rather than solid facts.

Saying that it seems to make sense that something prompted them to leave the tent and stop to look.  Semyons camera is a clue here.

In terms how they descended I think it is important to consider the conditions- cold, windy, dark, snow, no shoes- these are not good running conditions.  It may also indicate that whatever the threat it was not physically chasing them.

February 07, 2019, 08:58:12 AM
Reply #2

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Velenki boots made of wool and lined with sheeps fur. 
All theories are flawed....... Get Behind Me Satan !!!

February 07, 2019, 10:12:55 AM
Reply #3

Nigel Evans

It’s an interesting area for discussion.  There does seem to be a lot of “opinion” from the eye witnesses though rather than solid facts.

Saying that it seems to make sense that something prompted them to leave the tent and stop to look.  Semyons camera is a clue here.

In terms how they descended I think it is important to consider the conditions- cold, windy, dark, snow, no shoes- these are not good running conditions.  It may also indicate that whatever the threat it was not physically chasing them.
The lack of recording of these facts is frustrating, like where was this line?

February 07, 2019, 10:45:46 AM
Reply #4

cennetkusu

I think the teens talked superman in a tent. This may sound very interesting to everyone. Superman asked them to leave the tent immediately. They tore out the tent. That's why they didn't run. They didn't rush.

You're alone and desperate. Connect with God, you won't be alone and you're a saint.

February 07, 2019, 10:59:56 AM
Reply #5

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Koptelov Yuri,. Cannon find any testimony.

Коптелов Юрий   UPI student, member of Slobtsov rescue group 23-Feb-1959 dropped off on Pumsalnel near Otorten, and later member of Martyushev rescue group 6-Apr-1959

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sharavin Mihail Petrovich, testimony.  https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-62-75?lid=1

Шаравин Михаил Петрович   UPI student, member of Slobtsov rescue group 23-Feb-1959 dropped off on Pumsalnel near Otorten, he and Strelnikov found Doroshenko and Krivonischenko's bodies on 27 Feb

Read it yourself.....   there were too many people standing around on the slope by the tent, so he wen back down to the camp to start organizing the search for the remainder of the group. 

Literally all he says about footprints is this....   
We found footprints of almost the whole group
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:10:44 AM by Loose}{Cannon »

February 07, 2019, 11:01:23 AM
Reply #6

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator

The book your so fond of is misleading at best and often flat out lies. 

February 07, 2019, 12:28:03 PM
Reply #7

Nigel Evans

The book your so fond of is misleading at best and often flat out lies.
Well she's claiming that Tempalov sent a radiogram which given his rank is a reasonable claim, but you have no record of him sending any at all under the Case Files... Hmmm.
And that Koptelov stated they stood in a line for the Discovery Yeti movie but this was mistranslated.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:35:19 PM by Nigel Evans »

February 07, 2019, 02:06:53 PM
Reply #8

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
If its not in the radiogram transcripts of the case files.  Its hearsay and conjecture. 

February 07, 2019, 03:01:38 PM
Reply #9

sarapuk

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:39:05 AM by sarapuk »
DB

February 08, 2019, 03:31:04 AM
Reply #10

Nigel Evans

If its not in the radiogram transcripts of the case files.  Its hearsay and conjecture.
Not in this case, Ms Oss claims Koptelov was interviewed on the "Russian Yeti" Discovery Channel program and repeats his assertion that they seem to have stood in a line shoulder to shoulder like a military rank.

February 08, 2019, 03:32:27 AM
Reply #11

Nigel Evans

February 08, 2019, 07:32:28 AM
Reply #12

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Finally your starting to provide us with substance!  A hand written note from 2009

However, 'if' it indeed translate in the manor you say it does, its only one mans word (60 years after the fact) against countless others.  This wouldn't be the first time we have seen people in their old age attempt rationalize the incident by inviting false narratives. 'If' this were true in 1959, why is there no OFFICIAL testimony, and why is it not part of the original case files like everyone else's? 

I would imagine an 80 year old man may have trouble remembering the facts of what he saw or didn't see some 60 years later, and having no other collaboration from others etc.  A lot of people have said MANY things in recent years, this doesn't make them a matter of fact.  You boy Ivanov stated "piloted fireballs" many years after the fact. Seems to me, that each one of these guys had their own explanation of what happened that night, and sometimes MANY YEARS later stretched the truth a little.  Example.....  remember that little issue about ZOLOTARYOV and his "notebook clutched in his hand" issue?    I found it a few days ago......   HE HAD HIS HAND IN HIS POCKETS, which just happens to be where the notebook and pencil were.  okey1

Besides, we don't even have verification that this note contains said statement, ot that your author interpreted it correctly.  How do you know its not a word for a single file column one in front of the other?  They do that in the military also you know.......     Your author even states that the other guy said the same thing in his "testimony", and he did nothing of the sort as I clearly provided you the link to his ORIGINAL and OFFICIAL testimony.

February 08, 2019, 08:00:38 AM
Reply #13

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
This is just ONE official testimony regarding footprints!

Georgiy Vladimirovich Atmanaki

”There were no footprints right around the tent because when the Dyatlov group dug they had stacked the snow all around, and later this snow was drifted by the wind, thus covering all the tracks. But thirty or 40 m down there was a file of very well preserved footprints.”

"at first the tracks were in two groups, then joined together and were visible for 700-800 m, after which they disappeared under the fresh snow."

No footprints around the tent...... not visible until 40m down the slope.     nose1

February 08, 2019, 08:28:27 AM
Reply #14

Nigel Evans

Finally your starting to provide us with substance!  A hand written note from 2009That's from sarapuk btw.

However, 'if' it indeed translate in the manor you say it does, its only one mans word (60 years after the fact) against countless others. 
That's simply not true, Shavarin and Koptelov where the first two on the scene and hence the ONLY people qualified to discuss the state of the snow evidence which rapidly altered as more people turned up. Everyone agrees that the foot prints started at some distance from the tent. No one else is qualified to state whether a line was formed by the DPI group or by the rescuers. Only S + K have that privilege and K was never asked to make a statement?

This wouldn't be the first time we have seen people in their old age attempt rationalize the incident by inviting false narratives. 'If' this were true in 1959, why is there no OFFICIAL testimony, and why is it not part of the original case files like everyone else's? 
Because Okishev and Ivanov have said that the official case files are a confection? They don't even have an official id?

I would imagine an 80 year old man may have trouble remembering the facts of what he saw or didn't see some 60 years later, and having no other collaboration from others etc.  A lot of people have said MANY things in recent years, this doesn't make them a matter of fact.  You boy Ivanov stated "piloted fireballs" many years after the fact.
and he was talking about them in mid March 1959 until he was ordered to Moscow. When he came back he was telling everyone to be quiet about fire orbs.

Seems to me, that each one of these guys had their own explanation of what happened that night, and sometimes MANY YEARS later stretched the truth a little.  Example.....  remember that little issue about ZOLOTARYOV and his "notebook clutched in his hand" issue?    I found it a few days ago......   HE HAD HIS HAND IN HIS POCKETS, which just happens to be where the notebook and pencil were.  okey1 and the notebook has disappeared from your sacred official case files.

Besides, we don't even have verification that this note contains said statement, ot that your author interpreted it correctly.  How do you know its not a word for a single file column one in front of the other?  They do that in the military also you know.......     Your author even states that the other guy said the same thing in his "testimony", and he did nothing of the sort as I clearly provided you the link to his ORIGINAL and OFFICIAL testimony.She quotes from a radiogram that is missing from the official case files....

February 08, 2019, 09:56:10 AM
Reply #15

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
Dude, there were more then those two that were at the scene first, and one of the two in question said NOTHING of the sort ion the official case files.   You have ONE GUY that MAY have stated something in 2009, 50 years after the fact and never even made an official testimony!!!!!

By all means, investigate all you want, but I simply dont have the time or energy to start posting ALL the references to footprints from ALL the dif people on the scene and how NONE of them state anything of the sort.

February 08, 2019, 10:02:36 AM
Reply #16

Loose}{Cannon

Administrator
THIS WAS THE FIRST GUY ON THE SCENE<<<< AND THE BOSS

SLOBTSOV WITNESS TESTIMONY    <--------- leader of first group of students to approach the tent.

I did not notice that day, but then I heard from other people involved in the search that there was a trace of urine in the snow near the tent.
In the immediate vicinity of the tent there were no footprints. Approximately 15-20 m from the tent in the direction where the bodies were subsequently discovered, footprints of the people's feet coming from the tent were visible on the snow, and it was evident that the tracks were left by the feet of a person without shoes in felt boots (valenki). The tracks protruded above the surrounding surface of the snow, for near the tracks the snow was blown out by the wind.
From the tent in the direction of the wind, i.e. in the direction where there were traces of people's feet, at a distance of about 0.5-1 m, we found several slippers from different pairs, and ski caps and other small objects were scattered. I do not remember and did not pay attention to how many people were the footprints from, but it should be noted that the tracks were initially together, next to each other, and the distant tracks diverged, but now I don't remember how they parted.

SHOW ME WHERE HE STATES ANYTHING LIKE WHAT YOU REGURGITATE FROM YOUR BIBLE.......

February 08, 2019, 10:36:10 AM
Reply #17

Nigel Evans

Ok digging further, i retract my statement that only Sharavin and Koptelov were first on the scene, my error.
But Koptelov was in the first group and he claims they stood in a row. That other testimonies don't mention this does not invalidate his opinion it just creates the question - "who provided the most detail?". Although (i assume) Sharavin has never changed his statement.

What's more interesting is where did Svetlana Oss get her information wrt Tempalov's (non existent?) radiogram. I find it hard to believe she just made it up.

February 08, 2019, 12:07:24 PM
Reply #18

sarapuk

Well I can see the point of view here regarding WITNESSES. Its difficult isnt it. We have an apparently SUBSTANDARD INVESTIGATION in 1959 followed by Witnesses trying to remember events in the years after the fall of the USSR.  Lets remember that many people were only comfortable about talking about the Dyatlov Case after the fall of the USSR for reasons I think we know only to well.  So in my opinion there is no harm in bringing into play anything which may shed light on the mystery and that includes non official statements etc.
DB

February 08, 2019, 12:59:21 PM
Reply #19

Star man

It's interesting again that there is reference to slippers and other items scattered from the entrance to the tent.  Pulled out by people scampering out of a long tent?

February 08, 2019, 01:01:21 PM
Reply #20

Nigel Evans

Text of the conversation "CENTER of the civil investigation of the tragedy of Dyatlovtsev", NAVIG (denoted in the text H) with the search engine Koptelov Y.E. (KUE) in the case of Dyatlovtsev 01.02. 2008
The conversation was attended by Yudin Y.Yu., Buyanov V.E.
The copyright on the sound recording and this text are:
CENTER of the civil investigation of the tragedy Dyatlovtsev;
Koptelov Yuri Evtiheevich, in 1959 search engine.
Text recorded and edited by Verden.
Sound recording produced by Elder.
The text is verified by video recording conversations NAVIG.
When quoting a link is required.
The use of text or sound recordings completely without the permission of the authors is prohibited.
================================================= ========================
N: Today is February 1, 2008. We are interviewing a member of the search group Koptelov Yuri Evtiheevich. Yuri Evtikheevich, tell us everything in order, how the events took place and about your participation in them as a member of the Slobtsov group.
KYUE: Around February 19-20, we heard about the death and that, in connection with the decision of the trade union committee and the director of the institute ...
H: Sorry to interrupt. Who did you find out from?
KYUE: I have been the leader of weekend tourist groups all the time in recent years and therefore I hung out between the lectures at the club. There we had a tourist corner. I was hanging out there and naturally the news passed instantly. This is in UPI. There we have in the area of ​​construction, where the trade union committee, just between the economic and construction department, under this wing was a tourist corner. And now, somewhere between 19 and 20, there was a rumor that in connection with death, that is, they already assume that they died. For almost 3-4 weeks the group has not been in touch and there is a decision to organize searches. I heard this and offered my services. I say, I could also take part, especially since I am a city, I have all the equipment, I am basically ready. On February 21, a question about the composition of the Slobtsov group was already discussed there. That it is necessary to send a group of Slobtsov in the same quantity as the Dyatlov group was, that is, in the amount of nine people. I say that I would love to join this group, since I knew Slobtsov and from the group I knew Brusnitsyn Vadim. They say to me: Well, the group is approved, but we offer you to come tomorrow, that is, 22 substitutes, you never know what will happen. I say: Ok, I agree. I will come tomorrow with full equipment. Tomorrow the group is built in the right wing, I stand in front of the group with equipment. The authorities pass, including a doctor there. And for some reason the doctor rejected one comrade. And then I was offered: Get up in line, you will be a member. We checked all the equipment, got on the bus and drove to Uktussky airfield. At the airport we were already waiting for the plane, some sort of AN.
N: Military or civilian?
KYUE: Civil, ordinary AN. We were loaded and we flew to Ivdel. On this day we spent the night in Ivdel. We spent the night right on the airfield.
N: And in Ivdela which airfield, military or civil?
KYUE: Civil, and in general, there is a common airfield, there is also a city on the one side. On the other hand, of course there are camps. That is, there was a military and civil part.
In the morning they said that we would be thrown by helicopter.
E. Someone met you there?
H: And who met you there?
KYUE: Yes, we were met there, but who it was, I do not remember. As I said, there were 9 of us there, we flew two helicopters, because we couldn’t even fit in one helicopter with all the equipment ... But Sharavin and Yudin tell me that two more people sat down with us, "firefighter" and Ivan. But I do not remember and do not know, because we could fly in different helicopters. And although we were on the route together, we have a large group, we were stretched. For example, I’m in the tail of the group, someone in the middle ... And when the track was running, only the top five changed, and the last came out on the first position - that was certainly not the case.
H: Where are you dropped off? Show on the map.
KYUE: We separated here from Sharavin. I thought that we were landed on a hill, in an open area, close to the forest, 200 meters from the forest remained. Literally such a gentle slope, we rolled down with equipment about 200 meters and there we were already met by a group that first flew in.
E. On Otorttene? Not?
KYUE: So we shared with Sharavin. He says that we were landed on the right slope of Otorten ... But still an important detail, I forgot to say - we were not released in the morning, almost before lunch, the weather was non-flying. Although the helicopter pilots were military pilots, they were not released because of the weather, and only in the second half of the day the first helicopter took off first and then the second. I was in the second helicopter.
KYUE: He says that he, too, flew in the second helicopter, it could very well be. But he says that when we landed at the point on the eastern slope of Otorten, and that at that time the group that flew first had time to run to the top of Otorten and had already checked if the Dyatlov group was on Ottortene. Although I thought that we were not at Otorten. I thought that we were landed literally on the ridge, somewhere close to the confluence, where Auspius enters Lozva. And I still believe that we were landed there. And Sharavin says that since there were no Dyatlov's tracks found on Otortene, we made a special detour and then went out to Auspii already. And I thought that all the time we were walking around Auspii.
N: Axelrod did you know?
KYUE: I knew Axelrod.
N: According to Otorten, Axelrod’s group was landed.
K.YU.E But the fact is that Axelrod’s group was landed either earlier or later.
E. Sharavin says that before. And that just a group of Axelrod ran there and the top.
KYUE: Maybe ... This is where we have just Sharavin and the number one discrepancy. I believe that we were landed there where the merger of Auspius into Lozva, in an open place, and not on Lozva. And we went down and here we had the first night. Then we spent the whole day floundering to the waist in the snow, moving from one side of the stream to the other, there was a section there somewhere, for example, 2-3-5 meters of ski slots. We passed from one side to the other, and eventually we went pretty well. I now consider 10-12 kilometers we passed. I have the impression left. And spent the night. In the morning they gathered normally, as it should be, and only we passed literally there ... Oh, and our scouts said that the path that goes up is already close, that light forest is already beginning.
H: from your group?
KYUE: The scouts from our group went off, ran off specially in the morning, say, a kilometer or two, ran off, checked that there would already be light forest and it would be better. Only we walked some distance, as we heard the plane. The plane began to circle us. We then added step to go to a clean, more or less open place. And when the plane flew over us, they began to fire rockets from a rocket launcher first, then with such manual ones, several rockets were given.
H: And for what purpose?
KYUE: So that he sees us where we are. He assumed where we were, flew in search of Ottorten-Auspii-Lozva, in this part, but he did not know where we were. When the missiles were given, he then descended lower, "waved" his wings and flew away. Then we quickened our pace, we still walked, maybe a mile and a half, reached a more or less clean place. The plane reappeared. And here we just realized that he clearly saw us, had already laid out a sign. He then made another circle especially over us and threw the pennant. In this pennant there was a message that a conductor with Mansi, with a walkie-talkie, is following us.
N: At that moment you were nine, before the arrival of the conductor and the Mansi?
KYUE: The fact of the matter is that we have this detail at odds. It turns out that we were nine plus these two "unidentified". Which I do not remember, but all the others say they were. I say that I was almost a random person there. In the face, I practically did not know anyone.
H: They caught up with you, these ones, about which there was a message in the pennant? Mansi and radio operator?
KYUE: After we got the pennant - the message that a conductor with a walkie-talkie follows us, we began to look for a place where the plane would clearly see us, where there would be water, wood - the place for the base camp. We walked some more distance and put the base camp in a good place, literally on a flat and open one. As a result, it turned out later that there was one and a half kilometer from him to the pass. On the same day we had a night here. And the next day I was on duty at the tent, by the fire. And everyone else went to search. And in the afternoon, somewhere after 13-14, that is, immediately after lunch, the conductor with the Mansi came from below, they came with the walkie-talkie and began to settle down here. Soon came Slobtsov, Sharavin, began to pull the rest of the group from the search.
H: Who was the radio operator? Nevolin?
KYUE: Yes, Nevolin. And Mansi by the name of Kurikov. Healthy looking.
H: He was still there, the chairman of the village council ...
KYUE: Yes, yes ... They said that he himself volunteered, especially so that there were no extra questions. And when in the evening we read the diary and discussed everything ...
H: Minute, whose diary did you read?
KYUE: Dyatlovsky.
N: That is, Slobtsov and Sharavin took a diary there, in a tent?
KYUE: They took a diary there, a flask of alcohol ...
H: Diary one? General?
KYUE: Like one, I don’t know about others. I do not remember if we read the rest of the diaries, but I remember that they were reading one, the main diary, where each of them wrote several lines. It ended with the 31st, in my opinion, a number, that's all. So I do not remember in this Diary that the storage shed was mentioned. I have one of the questions: when did they put the storage shed? Why is the storage shed not reflected in the diary? This leads me to believe that the storage shed was not set on the 31st, when they wrote a diary, but the next day, and he did not get into the diary. And since he was delivered the next day, there was a possibility that they had gone to Ottorten and on the way back they were caught by a blizzard and so on. And therefore, in order not to lose orientation, not to go somewhere to the side, but to return to the labaza, they specifically stopped under this mountain in order not to get lost completely. Because the 31st was 24 degrees with the wind, every meter of wind gives 1 degree of frost. 10 degrees if the wind added, it already gives 34 degrees. And if there was 15-20 meters, then it was already 40 degrees. That is, with that wind frostbitten

It could be. And plus, if they are late in time ... Suppose, why else could they stop at the top? Because if they came back let's say from Otorten. I don’t even take two kilometers and set up a tent, then it’s not clear.
I suppose they put up a storage shed, went to Otorten on that day, and walked through the loaches on their way back. On the way back from Otorten, I guess they got here in the cold, in a blizzard, and by the time it began to get dark. It was light on the char, and below, at the level of the forest it was dark, it was possible to slip the devil where it was, and so they stopped.
N: The fact is that it takes 3 days to go to Otorten. Or how much? There are 16 kilometers.
KYUE: Sorry! Half a day! Twelve kilometers.
H: No, well, back and forth ...
KUE: 12 kilometers, you count.
A.K. 12 kilometers, on the Nast and moreover, there is no need to torment ...
KYUE: I went with the pioneers. It is 12 kilometers away. 2.5 or 3 hours we went in one direction.
H: Without skis?
KYUE: Why? By ski. I was in March 1976. We went to the left of Auspii, as the river is called there, to the south?
H: This one here? XXXXXX?
KYUE: On the route we entered from it. That is, here is this ridge, its left part along Auspii. We walked along this river, crossed, walked 1079 on the left, and went to Otorten. And from 1079 to Otorten we walked very little. We were going on this day where the hell was after Otorten. And in our group there were schoolchildren from 5 to 10 classes.
H: Did you go in the spring?
KYUE: We went in the month of March, yes. Therefore, 24 kilometers, well, 26, that was worth going for the Dyatlov group? Yes, it was worth nothing. Another thing is that on the way back ... Well, naturally, if the doctor said that someone had a knee broken there (Startsev A. approx. Navig) and if someone was injured on these, on the firn, they could get on the stones . When you go there on firnu ... I went there on firnu in March 1976 - great, great pleasure, carries with great speed, but you choose a clean place. And if the place where the stones fall? Fortunately for us, none of us was hurt, not one of the students.
But if one of them suffered at the firn, then naturally, the delay was in time. The one who unsuccessfully slipped, first had to be pulled out of there, because it is possible to go two kilometers down this firn, and if you drove into another beam, it’s not so easy ...
That is, they could lose another hour or two and so on. Plus, the frost on the way back, could catch their snowstorm and wind. Therefore, I believe that on the way back, in order not to lose their landmark, the storage shed, they stopped. I think so.
H: Well, well, it is quite likely because their newspaper was called "Evening Otorten". That is, as if they were going there. She hung in a tent on the wall. Korotaev spoke.
H: Let's go back a little bit. What happened next? Here came Slobtsov and Sharavin. You were on duty.
KYUE: I was on duty. In the evening, listened to everything and revered. And I don’t remember any mention of the storage shed in my diary. The next day, Sharavin and I were sent to search for traces. Sharavin also says that since it was already known where the tent was, we were given the task of finding a place closer to it to set up the base camp. But it is this information that I speak only from his words. I believed that our task was to expand the search.
And here we come to the tent. Examined everything around the tent. We found that here is a tent, and there are literally tracks from it.
N: In how many meters began approximately?
KYUE: And right, here is the square, maybe 8-10 meters from the tent, a short distance. And immediately the tracks begin. Straight, parallel to the foot.
H: Number do you remember these traces? (Note NAVIG: this phrase is in the video.)
KYUE: ... 8-9, we immediately counted it ...
N: That is, in one 8 in another 9?
KYUE: Just 8, we seemed to think clearly, and 9 - they said that "there seems to be a trace or something incomprehensible."
H: Did you see them yourself?
KYUE: Of course! We specially approached and decided when this trace could have been left and why and who could have left it. Why is it, say, not blew? And it couldn’t be blown out because, if, let's say, to stamp hard, then it would harden. Or come something warm. That is, we discussed.
N: Traces were drowned or elevated?
KYUE: Basically there were grooves. Deepening, mostly. Why we say, or 9, or not. I do not remember now, maybe some of the tracks were like elevations, but most of the tracks were deepening. And these tracks went in different places in different ways. They walked some distance, forward, in the direction of this slide.
H: How many meters away were the tracks?
KYUE: Well, 60 meters, maybe 100 meters. And in this segment they were slowly lost. They were lost ... because, through, say, 12–20 meters there, the slope was already going down sharply. There was already snow more loose and traces began to get lost.
H: Let's go back to the tent again. When you came to the tent, what did you see? What did the tent look like? How was she standing? Entrance? The horse? What was at the entrance of the tent?
KYUE: I did not fix the details. I recorded just the general position of the tent. Slobtsov and Sharavin told there when they returned. Therefore, we do not touch

what did not, the tent was inspected, there they already touched everything. Therefore, the fact that there were skis, or sticks, the situation is approximately as it is in the photographs, I imagine it like this.
The entrance, as I recall, was in the direction of the river Auspii.
N: That is, in the direction of the pass?
KYUE: Yes, here we have a pass, it is long, there it is. Here is 1079, and here is the height of 880 - this is all the pass ... Here is the Auspius River, here, here is 1079. If you take this pass in 1079, the tent stood just above the pass. She stood at a certain elevation, on the slope a little bit, at a certain elevation ... If we took a little bit like that, in this position relative to, then the tent stood like that. The entrance was directed - why I say that they may have come from Otorten - that the entrance of the tent was directed through the pass towards the Auspii River. That is, this direction is preserved to the south. They came, I believe, from the north. And when the tent was torn and they jumped out, the traces were perpendicular to the tent and went in this direction.
                Note NAVIG: height 880, measured by old maps. New designation height 905.4
B. That is down?
KYUE: The pass has remained here, and they have gone here. That is, they went to this side of the pass. Why? Because the entrance of the tent and the cuts were 90 degrees relative to each other. That is, if they initially set up a tent and c "were guided by what they need to go there, that they have a storage shed, then they broke up the tent and jumped out and lost their orientation by 90 degrees. They probably wanted to run to the warehouse, but they lost their orientation by 90 degrees and went away to the wrong side of the pass, but went to this one. That is why, when some of them, Dyatlov, Dubinin, began to return, they had some logic? When they left and did not find a warehouse, they began to return to the tent and from there look for a storage shed. When we decided that once the tracks go straight down into the hollow , we will try to go and see where we will see these tracks. These meters have passed, the tracks have slowly begun to run out. The snow has already gone deep. First we had to take this hollow, then this pass. Here we assumed that the bed of the stream is on the left there were bushes and we first went along the left side. Here the bushes became thicker and thicker, we decided that it was impossible to get through at best. We then went to the right, to a more open place, crossed to the other side of the stream, and on the other side of the stream began to quietly descend further, lower and lower. In the end, descending this flood plain, this hollow, we rested in a ravine. Well, such a vertical wall, 5 meters, maybe 7, and maybe even 10 even this wall was. Well, we say, let's climb, look at the top. We then climbed sideways, stepping onto it, and on the left side here, we look, and in front of us a number of bushes were small, we did not break through them, and to the left there was a passage. We went through the passageway. Here means cedar. There are bushes for cedar. We go around the bushes and see - in front of us are two, heads to each other, and the remains of an extinct campfire.
H: What is the disposition? In relation to the tent as it was? Were they for cedar or in front of cedar?
What kind of vegetation was there, big or not?

The caption under figure 1.
"Traces of 200 meters run out, but we walk this direction another 1.5 km and run into a steep cliff. Cedar stands on it. We climb up the cliff with a ladder and walk around the cedar on the left. We are heading towards each other. We hurried to the pass to report on our find. We did not have time to get up when a helicopter arrived with the investigators. Then a second helicopter arrived with soldiers and dogs. I was asked to show a tent. From lunchtime on February 27 and 28 I helped the soldiers to equip the camp. March 1. Misha and I th Sharavin free search. We are looking for traces of the above at a height of 860 cedar ski. March 2. 5 transported the corpses to pass .... "

Figure Y. Koptelova 1.
KYUE: If you take a tent upstairs, like this, on the front, then here is the cedar. Submitted? Here is such a slope, there is a playground on the slope, here are bushes in the front row, here are bushes, here is cedar. Here, one lies here and so, head here. The second lies in his head, here between, a fire and a cedar here on the right. I recorded that they were in their underwear, barefoot practically. The one who lay to us with his feet, I recorded that my nose was very damaged. They were very dark, literally red. I believe that since they were in the open, this month they could get sunburned even from the sun. A nose could peck kedrovki. I decided so then. That they could sunbathe from the sun. Maybe something else happened there, they could also blacken from the sun; in the open, the wind, frost. The sun could melt the snow on them, ultraviolet ... But the nose was pecked. Then they decided that it was Doroshenko lying. And there lay, means across, Krivonischenko. But the fact that Krivonischenko was lying under a blanket, I do not remember that. I did not see this.

Reconstruction of the Kedr position, ravine by Y. Koptelov's figure

ha and 4th tributary.
http://infodjatlov.narod.ru/KartKopt.jpg

N: Did not see or do not remember?
KYUE: I do not remember him lying under a blanket. I remember that they both lay in their underwear. I have this impression. Maybe Krivonischenko was partially closed, he was a little further away, as it were, lying there. This is something closer. We literally walked 1-1.5 meters from his feet. We did not approach, so as not to touch anything there. Just looked, fixed for yourself. Since here we had a cliff of a ravine, in order not to descend back into the ravine, we went around. Here the cliff passed into a certain slope of the pass. We literally walked 300-400 meters and we hear a helicopter flying over the pass. We hurried to the pass.
While the helicopter was unloading, we almost went to the helicopter. The distance was small. I am told long distances. Yes, what distance? There from the base camp, from where we left, 1.5-2 kilometers was to the tent. And from the tent to the cedar, we then immediately estimated that it was 1.5 kilometers, maybe a little more. And if, accordingly, from the cedar to the helicopter, then there was already no 2 kilometers, the distance was also small, because we overcame it, well, literally ... well, we were naturally skiing, rested.
E. Did you ski?
KYUE: Of course, on skis, but how? And how would we go there without skis?
E. And in some places there was a crust.
KYUE: Nast was just where? Upstairs. And the ravines, on which we walked, and on light forests, and on flood plain? What is the crust there? There was no Nast.
N: Specify regarding cedar. Did you inspect the cedar? What was his condition? What did you find there? We did not specifically examine him at that moment. We just saw that the branches are broken off high.
H: Did they come close to him?
KYUE: We were only 3 meters from the cedar.
N: And you did not pay attention, the branches were broken off or cut down?
KYUE: Were broken off. If cut down, immediately visible.
H: At what height?
KYUE: The height was pretty decent. They tell me that there are so many or so many meters ... Well, maybe 3 meters, maybe 3.5. I can still somehow imagine. I am told that at such a height. No, no more than 3.5 meters. Above was not accurate.
N: And where were the broken branches? Did you notice?
KYUE: No broken branches have ever been seen. We only saw the remains of a campfire.
H: And broken off branches? They did not hang on the cedar? ..
KYUE: No, of course.
H: Just have the information that they were hanging. Some branches seemed to remain hanging on a cedar. Did not see? Or do not remember? Maybe lying around cedar?
KYUE: Now I visualize it ... Maybe they were. So what the situation is. When we came up and walked around the cedar, there were fir-trees here, pine trees there were not high, but they were taller than us. There was little light forest around the cedar here. Perhaps there were some boughs, but in light forests. But we accentuated the view not on this, but on the situation: who lies, how many people, in what position they lie. And since the cedar was for us a purely indicative figure, we only glanced at the fact that it was beneath the cedar, that the cedar at some height was free from boughs - that's all. We had no task to investigate.
H: But can you suddenly remember something now ...
KYUE: Perhaps these boughs were. Maybe there was something in the light forest, but since we came and went along, and went up there, we fixed only this, such a state. I fixed. Misha's readings are slightly different, but maybe ... they could have looked from different positions.
H: And what can you say about the presence of a dead tree in the area?
KYUE: I have not seen anything anywhere.
N: Maybe covered with snow? ..
KYUE: There was none of this. I explain. It was the first half of 27.02, in the second half of 27, after I brought the investigators to the tent and showed that it was a tent, then they told me: go to the camp. I was setting up an army tent. Then on the second day I was again engaged in setting up the second tent. But on March 1, Misha and I again, we were released in a free search, to rest. And since three more were found already in the hollow during these days, I did not participate there, in my opinion, Misha did not participate either. When it was known that three more were found, and more, they say, while the dogs there can no longer find anything, they let us go in the search. Said, "you explore the height of 880." We then came directly to cedar this time, and from this cedar we went up now, continuing the direction of the cedar tent - height 880. We even went on to height 880. We passed this height 880 and from the top of the height we skied through the forest. Straight ski themselves done on skis. Here in this free search, we did not see any traces, no dead trees, nothing. Because we were at the cedar now for the second time.
H: Now back to the fire. What was a fire, what kind of wood did it have? How far?
KYUE: We didn’t watch anything then, no firewood. We watched, look, here is something like this, a playground, (NAVIG: shows a circle with a diameter of 80 cm) it seemed to stand out dark, black. On her

This is such a small handful of burnt boughs. Approximately a meter, even less, half a meter, probably two people were from a fire. We did not fit, we did not touch. Our business was to fix and quickly report that here, found the first. We were not assigned to examine, we were assigned to find, label ...
H: No, well, a task is a task, but you yourself have seen ... Now what can you say, according to your memories?
KYUE: That's what I recorded, then I tell. Bonfire, flat ground ...
H: Were footprints around cedar? Did foreign objects roll around?
KYUE: No, no tracks, nothing. The fact is that a month has passed. It was all powdered with snow. By the way, it was slightly covered with snow. Here the corpses lay, they, too, were powdered, well, literally as if only now it blew, powdered, that's all. They lay practically open. Well, how you lay down on the floor, two centimeters near you will lie down and literally powder you, that's all. That's how they lay.
H: Was the bonfire behind the cedar in relation to the tent?
KYUE: I explain once again. Here is a tent. Here we are perpendicular to the entrance, so from this cut, here is the cut, this is the slope of the tent. We both went straight and perpendicular. Came to the cliff, here it is a cliff. On the cliff area. Here he stands, cedar. We came to a cliff, and on the edge of a cliff there is light forest. In order not to break through the woodlands, there was a small tunnel. So, here is the cedar. We went through this passage around the cedar. Clear where the cedar? He is on the edge of a cliff. This cliff is parallel to the tent.
N: And at what distance from the cliff was the cedar?
KYUE: Quite a bit. Meters can be 7 maximum. And the fire ... about a meter and a half or two from the cedar, here lay the first corpse, and after half a meter was a fire.
B. Between them, yes? Between cedar and the dead?
KYUE: Between cedar and dead, a meter and a half was, well, two.
B. Was the bonfire at the cedar or on the other side of the dead?
KYUE: A bonfire was - Doroshenko lay closer to the cedar, with his back to the cedar, on the back or not on the back ... Here is the cedar. This is how Doroshenko lay, this is how Krivonischenko lay. They lay head to each other.
B. Was there a fire between them?
KYUE: (Draw) Here is a cedar. Here they lay, but the fire. (Continue to draw all the way from the tent again)
N: And here the stream was going? Cliff why formed?
KYUE: Well, naturally. The main stream here from here. This is a tributary of Lozva. And here is Lozva. And this is Otorten already.
B. They somehow lay along the fire, as it were.
KYUE: Not along, but head to each other lay. So and so, lay. But this is normal, because they both were heated by the fire.
H: This picture is incomprehensible to me. Because the map is different there. Can I have a piece of paper? I'll draw like on the map.
KYUE: On, see the map. I repeat what is drawn there.
N: On the map it turns out like this. If this ridge goes ... Belt stone.
KYUE: Do you mean the Ural range?
N: Yes, the Ural range. Now here goes Auspia, here comes mountain 1079, here comes a spur, here 880, here 905 (Note. NAVIG. New designation of heights). And here Lozva goes, she goes far, and here the tributaries are -1, 2,3, 4 ... So, the tent was right here, they fled down and now the cedar was right here. And from the cedar to the ravine, where they found the last 50-70 meters.
KYUE: I explain. Here it is a river. We will continue the slope, then found here in this area, here just 70 meters is. This is where the last four were found.

N: No, well, wait. What, when they ran, did they scramble up the cliff to the cedar?
KYUE: Well, how else? Their path was blocked by a ravine.
N: Their path was blocked by a 5 meter high ravine? We have no such information.
B. Bypassed. Are you bypassed?
KYUE: No, we did not pass. We just climbed, we’ve climbed the ladder, not because we go skiing, but we climbed the ladder specifically, on skis.
B. Well, they are without skis.
KYUE: There the slope was 70-80 degrees.
N: A ravine blocked your way?
KYUE: Of course. We rested in it. But look, height, some kind of observation platform, we went out on it - and just went to the cedar and went to the fire.
N: Was the gully filled with snow? Why couldn't they find these right away? Or was he deep?
KYUE: Imagine, here we had 3, 5 or even 7 meters, so I recall. Well, 3-4 meters was exactly the height. Well, can you imagine if this is a real ravine, then there are about 3-4 meters below us. Do you agree? And if another 70 meters to the side? So it is even more depth. If the wind always blew only in this direction, through the mountains. I was there in 1976. Only in one direction the wind blew. And here there is already a height of 880, here there is already a forest, and therefore the snow was all late. And so naturally, the ravine was leveled.
H: And the difference was still 5 meters?
KYUE: 3-4 meters was definitely. Maybe even more, because we are not so easy to overcome.
N: I did not see such information before.
KYUE: I say, you do not just walk up the hill, go skiing ahead, but we went up specially for the ladder. That is, the side course specifically raised to the top.
N: So you didn't find any traces here?
KYUE: And there everything was sprinkled with

negom.
N: The handkerchief was burned, the money was littered ... written.
KYUE: It was all found later. Then everything was disassembled by those to whom it was laid.
H: You were too busy.
KYUE: Our task was different - to capture and report. And to understand our task was not. We could mess it up, and then we would think where did it come from?
H: By the way, did you have a task from the prosecutor's office in order not to spoil anything, or did you yourself know that?
KYUE: Yes, we did not have any task, and from the very beginning it was not.
N: So, UPI sent you and no investigator spoke to you?
KYUE: No, we had a task ...
B. What kind of instruction was it?
KYUE: None. The briefing was simple: we send you from UPI, your task is to find out where possible and report. How was it about ...
Yuyu: Well, "you have done your job and do not go for it anymore." The meaning of this was there at all ..
KYUE: Nothing directly was said.
H: And the radio operator at whose disposal was? You reported back Slobtsova, right?
KYUE: There was no radio operator at our disposal.
H: By itself, was he?
KYUE: Of course, in itself.
H: And what did he transmit? Did he have a microphone?
KYUE: I do not remember, because Slobtsov was engaged there.
N: So, he himself transmitted something? And Slobtsov told him that, for example, "they found those and those?".
KYUE: Of course. There I do not know. I have already said that there was a “fifth wheel in a cart” there, so they did not report to me. I say, we have no instructions “do it here, but don’t do it” was not. Neither the bus nor the OIP did not say anything. I don't remember being told anything. On the bus, Slobtsova might have said something, or to someone. I do not remember.
Yuu: Didn't you say anything to anyone literally?
KYUE: They did not say anything. On the plane we flew later, flew in a helicopter, threw us out - there was no talk, nothing of the kind. And information? Let's say they sent us. They said: over there is a tent, you need to explore further. If possible, find a place for a new base, closer to the tent. That's the whole conversation with us.
H: Good. And what did you do next when you returned from the cedar?
KYUE: When the helicopter landed with the authorities, we approached the helicopter, here the authorities emptied out. We reported. As far as I remember and imagine, I was asked to show where the tent was. I do not know whether Misha was at the tent again, or wasn’t. I went to show. Yes, I say, the tent, not far, it can be seen. Well, show me closer, they say.
H: In a sense, a tent of tourists? After all, there was also yours.
KYUE: Yes, Dyatlov's tent. I say: "there is a tent, close." And they: "Well, show, you were there, but we were not." I say: "Well, let's go, I'll show." Showed means tent. After that they say to me: "that's it, go." Well, I returned to the pass. Only from the pass began to descend, but here already around things are lying, the road is beaten, the track is beaten. I went on this track. Things are on the left, on the right. Things of soldiers here ... Well, when I came up, they say: "help the tent put the soldiers." I say: "And our camp, and my things?". Some of my things were still in the camp.
They say to me: "so your things are already being raised, and they have already found a storage shed there." And I went to help set up a tent. In this tent we spent the night all. And the next day, as far as I remember, I was again asked to put up a second tent, so there was a lot of people, and so that the bosses and officers in one tent were there to discuss everything, and the soldiers could rest in another tent. I say, "OK, I will help." "At the same time, tell me where you can take water, where you can take firewood, where to make a toilet?". So here I worked with the second tent even the whole second day practically. But on the third day, Misha and I again went to the tent and explored the height of 880. That's all. And on March 2, we were engaged in the delivery of corpses to the pass.
Those five people that were found. At the pass, they said, there will be a helicopter and will pick up the corpses and pick you up. The helicopter flew in, took all the bodies, but we were not taken on that day. We already flew the next day.
N: You flew away and never returned there?
KYUE: Yes, we were already in Sverdlovsk on March 5. I still went back there, was in the second search again. It was around the end of March. There, with such long poles, the snow was sounded.
N: If you did not find anything?
KYUE: No, I have nothing. This is only later.
N: That is, those four you have not seen.
KYUE: No, I did not see them.
H: Well, then the question on the diary. You said you read the diary. And where did he go then?
KYUE: According to the diary, all the questions to Slobtsov, because he took it, he gave it. To whom, I do not know.
H: And who gave you all the teams up there? Who said: "Take to the tent?". Who commanded all this?
KYUE: I don’t remember now. I was not familiar with almost anyone.
H: And what shape did they have? Military, civil?
KYUE: Civil. Quite possibly, it is said that Chernyshev was in the first helicopter. Ivanov, Korotaev in which helicopter were? Between the first helicopter and the second, as far as I remember, there was only 15 minutes difference. Maybe a little more. Because when we went up to the pass, the first helicopter was already unloaded, and when we approached it

whether while he was unloading here, the second helicopter is already flying up. Sits close, a couple of hundred meters from the first. Right before our eyes. It can be seen they flew one after another.
B. You did not know who arrived?
KYUE: How could we know that? We are strangers, they are strangers. Especially because I did not know anyone there.
Yuyu: Did you know me?
KYUE: I knew you, but you were not there
B. And the group of Grebennikov did not know?
KYUE: I did not know. I could know many, including dyatlovtsev, only visually. Personally, I was only acquainted with Slobtsov and Brusnitsyn. I was a little man there, the leader of a weekend group, an activist.
B. What time were you then?
KYUE: On the fourth. But because the masters did not go to weekend groups, but newcomers went, whom they had to follow, so that they wouldn’t take extra steps left and right. No, of course, when there was talk there, for example, Korotaev or Ivanov, I knew about these people by ear, but I was not personally acquainted.
KYUE: On February 27, in the second half and on the 28th, I was engaged in housekeeping, and I did not know what was being done there at the pass.
B. And on the 27th you saw the dogs, they were planted there?
KYUE: No, I'm telling you. When the first helicopter arrived, I didn’t even reach the second one. I was asked to show a tent, I showed. And then - the "Brownian Movement", I do not even know which of the members of our group where I was. Even where Sharavin was, I do not know. Everyone was given a task and everyone was engaged in it.
Youu: Sharavin, he is a tracker and a hunter. Therefore, his perception is more targeted.
KYUE: That's not the question. We did not set any special tasks. He was closer to Slobtsov, they could discuss something, which I did not know. Maybe they discussed it before, maybe along the way. Maybe when they found the tent. Maybe they all discussed these issues. I do not know that. I only talk about my impressions.
B. Do you remember the thickness of the snow in the cedar zone?
KYUE: The thickness of the snow there can not be correctly estimated. I say that there was light forest, and the height of the trees was difficult to determine their age, and hence the depth of the snow. But the playground, which we found and where the fire was, was flat and slightly covered with snow. Therefore, it is impossible to estimate the thickness of the snow. How can you estimate the thickness of the snow, which is under you? It is impossible. The platform is flat. (end of recording)
H: Thank you.

February 08, 2019, 04:13:48 PM
Reply #21

Star man

So according to Kyue, they had to climb a cliff or steep embankment 3-4 metres or possibly higher to get to the cedar tree and the cedar was about 7 metres from the edge of this cliff/bank? Interesting.

His recollection seems pretty lucid to me.

February 08, 2019, 04:43:18 PM
Reply #22

sarapuk

So according to Kyue, they had to climb a cliff or steep embankment 3-4 metres or possibly higher to get to the cedar tree and the cedar was about 7 metres from the edge of this cliff/bank? Interesting.

Iam very surprised that NO ONE as ever gone there and done a proper Documentary using VIDEO CAMERAS of the entire area of the Dyatlov Mystery. A complete survey of all the main parts using different camera angles and so on.  Unless someone as but they havnt published it.
DB

February 09, 2019, 02:37:48 AM
Reply #23

Star man

Iam very surprised that NO ONE as ever gone there and done a proper Documentary using VIDEO CAMERAS of the entire area of the Dyatlov Mystery. A complete survey of all the main parts using different camera angles and so on.  Unless someone as but they havnt published it.

Maybe it's because they think a proper documentary would not get the viewer numbers.  This is why the documentaries they have made have sensationalised only the theories that they think will attract viewers, like monsters and aliens.

February 09, 2019, 03:13:13 AM
Reply #24

Nigel Evans

There are youtube videos of people at the DP walking the route, not sure of the ravine.

February 09, 2019, 03:40:30 AM
Reply #25

Nigel Evans

We found that here is a tent, and there are literally tracks from it.
KYUE: And right, here is the square, maybe 8-10 meters from the tent, a short distance. And immediately the tracks begin. Straight, parallel to the foot.
H: Number do you remember these traces? (Note NAVIG: this phrase is in the video.)
KYUE: Just 8, we seemed to think clearly, and 9 - they said that "there seems to be a trace or something incomprehensible."
KYUE: Of course! We specially approached and decided when this trace could have been left and why and who could have left it. Why is it, say, not blew? And it couldn’t be blown out because, if, let's say, to stamp hard, then it would harden. Or come something warm. That is, we discussed.
KYUE: Basically there were grooves. Deepening, mostly. Why we say, or 9, or not. I do not remember now, maybe some of the tracks were like elevations, but most of the tracks were deepening. And these tracks went in different places in different ways. They walked some distance, forward, in the direction of this slide.

So it seems that they exited the tent in ones possibly twos and then 8-10m away made imprints in the snow that could be recognised as at least 8 people walking. Doesn't sound like a lot of sharing of tracks.
The tracks were "parallel to the foot". So this imo suggests haste, brisk walking. They got out and didn't run but also they didn't loiter but wanted to put some distance between themselves and the tent.

The rescue group discuss how the tracks persisted for so long - "Or come something warm"!!!!

February 09, 2019, 04:43:15 PM
Reply #26

sarapuk

Maybe it's because they think a proper documentary would not get the viewer numbers.  This is why the documentaries they have made have sensationalised only the theories that they think will attract viewers, like monsters and aliens.

Its really something the Authorities should have done or maybe they already have. If not there is another chance this year when the new investigation kicks off in March at The Dyatlov Pass.
DB

February 09, 2019, 04:50:33 PM
Reply #27

sarapuk

We found that here is a tent, and there are literally tracks from it.

So it seems that they exited the tent in ones possibly twos and then 8-10m away made imprints in the snow that could be recognised as at least 8 people walking. Doesn't sound like a lot of sharing of tracks.
The tracks were "parallel to the foot". So this imo suggests haste, brisk walking. They got out and didn't run but also they didn't loiter but wanted to put some distance between themselves and the tent.

The rescue group discuss how the tracks persisted for so long - "Or come something warm"!!!!

Yes it could well be that you are correct when you suggest that they neither ran nor dawdled but got a move on. This is what I have been thinking re the leaving of the Tent. They could still have been terrified of something though, just not a complete panic. Just a need to escape from the Tent or something at the Tent.  Difficult.
DB

February 10, 2019, 12:52:12 AM
Reply #28

Star man

Maybe they moved as quickly as they could without shoes?

February 13, 2019, 01:52:06 AM
Reply #29

Nigel Evans

Maybe they moved as quickly as they could without shoes?
The snow was deep (look at the photos of them digging the base of the tent) so stones wouldn't be a problem. If they were running as fast as possible it should be obvious from the snow as they would have to lift their feet higher in a longer stride. Koptelov speaks of "making grooves" which seems like a slower pace.