Dyatlov Pass Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: The Last Leg
« Last post by Axelrod on April 13, 2024, 10:53:27 AM »
Three of these items - that are not found by both search parties - are:
- maps of the area
- a gasoline stove for heating food and water in case of emergency
- basic mountaineering gear beyond two ice-axes.

Personally I think that the group did not have these items/gear with them.

The absence of maps may have caused that the group had not passed the Dyatlov pass.
See https://dyatlovpass.com/maslennikov-notebook
Scan 13: The following documents were found in Dyatlov's field bag:
1) Nine train tickets Sverdlovsk-Bogoslovsk for 23/1
2) Trek plan (with all the details)
3) Trip book №5 (3 copies - 1 signed Ufimtsev)
4) Protocol of the route commission 1 copy
5) Maps: Sheet R-39, 40 (Syktyvkar, Khanty-М), part of the Ivdel forestry map, several photo maps, 3 tracing paper from forestry maps
General Discussion / Re: AVANLANCHE THEORY
« Last post by WinterLeia on April 12, 2024, 09:10:38 PM »
I’m highly skeptical of the avalanche or snow slab theory. The slope is just not steep enough.
« Last post by Partorg on April 12, 2024, 07:55:27 PM »
On February 1, they did not advance far, as they left the camp lateb Left late, because firstly apparently woke up late as always, and secondly, because it took a long time to assemble the labaz.
Dry wood in the area, as noted in the diary dated January 31, was scarce, but having a ready supply of firewood for the fire by the time we returned from Otorten was more than desirable.
In principle, could stay on Auspiya for one more night, giving themselves an unplanned day off (d'nyovka) but they decided not to do this and spend the rest of the day taking a starting position on the upper contours of the Ridge.
A long climb, even on a slope of 15°, takes quite a lot of energy, and they preferred to do it in the evening, so that in the morning, with fresh strength, they would move along a hard relatively flat surface to Otorten and, if the weather did not drive them off the Ridge into the Lozva Valley, to return in the evening to Auspiya.
Naturally, the discomfort of spending the night on the Ridge was easily predictable, but a sports hike was not a Sunday picnic and they were mentally prepared for it.
« Last post by GlennM on April 12, 2024, 06:45:53 AM »
 Arjan, you bring up a valid point. Perhaps this is why late starts were noted in a diary. They were Slow to rise and slow to get going. Does it give us a clue? For me, barring physical problems, a slow pace suggests casual confidence, attutude, or hubris, depending on one's point of view.  If it was indeed a physical problem, that points to weather. Again, there is language in a diary about that.

If one believes as I do that the final camp was on 1079, we could make the case that the hikers were forced off the slope for better shelter or to save one of their own. Too,since weather is at issue, once they got to the area of the cedar, we need no tent to have Teddy's tree come down. It was allegedly very windy.

The overall impression I get is that the hikers were striking a balance between physical exertion and mental relaxation before returning to the daily grind back home. It was just more predictable at home.
« Last post by Arjan on April 12, 2024, 04:04:33 AM »
This kind of winterhikes pose a general challenge: lack of daylight.

Sunrise had been at that day/place: 8:30 am
Sunset on a flat area at that day/place: 17:00 pm
This leaves 9 hours for activities during 'daylight'.

On a normal hiking day, this group had used around 1.5 hour the break up and around 1.5 hour to arrange a camping site for the night. 
This leaves 6 hours for tracking.

The campsite east of Kholat Syakhl had posed a very specific challenge.
The journalist collective Aleksej Rakitin has shown on page 110 of the German edition 'Die Toten vom Djatlow-Pass':
- on that day/place the sun had disappeared at the camp site around 14:30 pm behind Kholat Syakl.

Everyone who has been in the mountains knows that it will cool quickly in case the sun sets behind the mountains.

This fact may be an additional reason for the short last leg.
General Discussion / Re: Wonder If...
« Last post by GlennM on April 11, 2024, 07:04:58 PM »
Closer to water than I thought.
« Last post by Axelrod on April 11, 2024, 12:17:02 PM »

Place (in summer) where Rustem Slobodin was found
« Last post by gunmat on April 11, 2024, 09:41:53 AM »
---
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10