Theories Discussion > General Discussion

How did Semyon come to have a camera around his neck when found?

(1/9) > >>

eurocentric:
It's interesting to consider this, it's potentially one of the oddest DPI facts, and it doesn't even require an assessment of the photo's contained on the camera's film, which may not even have been taken during the DPI (both Rustem and Yuri K's camera films included earlier exposures, in Rustem's case of a 1958 hike, also with Igor).

Semyon's mother wrote an emotional letter to Ivanov about what she saw as a delay in returning the camera to her.
https://dyatlovpass.com/case-files-volume-2-69?rbid=19667

But why did Semyon take it with him during whatever happened? It possibly communicates that when he left he knew that he was not returning to the tent so took this valuable with him, or did he simply already have it around him when something happened?

If you apply it to some leading theories how can this be retrieved during a slab slip event when people are getting ready for bed or laid down? If a tree crashed down on him while he slept and this camera (and his lantern torch) were not around his body (in which case they'd surely be smashed) then how did restagers know to plant them on him (this long before any films were developed showing him wearing them)? If KGB or other attackers killed the hikers why did they risk leaving this camera around one of the bodies when, for all they knew, the film may contain images of his/their killers? If a wolverine sprayed everywhere to the extent not even a wood axe could be taken how was this camera and its leather case spared?

amashilu:
It's a good question, one I have been struck by also.

"... Zolotaryov and Thibeaux were better clothed and wearing some kind of footwear ... Zolotaryov took another camera, not the one found in the tent..."

The only answer I can think of is that Zolotaryov was a plant, with a special task. He had been given a special camera, to be used just for this task, and a special notebook and pencil to record the results. Probably no other members of the group knew about this, but as he and TBO instantly became BFFs, Zolotaryov confided in him. On the night of Feb. 1, Zolotaryov and TBO went outside the tent to begin the experiment. They were fully dressed. Zolotaryov set up the special camera, and had the notebook and pencil in his pocket, to record the event.

I have no evidence for this, other than the fact that they were the only hikers to be fully dressed, Zolotaryov had the camera around his neck, and a notebook and pencil in his pocket, which Ortyukov was very interested in when the bodies were found. These things are odd enough to make me do a "raw speculation" like this.

GlennM:
Zolo's mother was. promised his camera after photos were produced. Both cameras? 

MDGross:
As I understand it, Tibo was standing watch until the next guy's time came to relieve him. Perhaps Zolotaryov was outside to keep his friend company. Maybe something in the sky caught his attention and he rushed into the tent and grabbed his camera and then came back out to take a photo. No proof, of course, I'm just trying to make an educated guess.

Ziljoe:
I would guess that they were not a sleep. There may have been more work todo, in and outside the tent. I assume there would be some kind of system where they go inside and take off ski boots change to other footwear etc and minimise snow being spread throughout the tent.

The person on watch I guess would be closest to the entrance, perhaps with there boots on, ready to brush a build up of snow from the sides of the tent. Perhaps to fit the final 2 skis so the stove could be hung and used.  Perhaps there was the intention to go fetch wood , take camera for some photos but the incident happened before these things could be achieved.

There is talk of there being a tripod for the camera and a broken lense. They may have been eating, someone else writing the evening Otorten of battle sheet and reading it out, the camera could be out of the case and being cleaned , general maintenance and administration.

I think this fits for all scenarios. Camera case has a neck strap. Most likely round his neck. Camera on his lap, or in his hands. I don't even know if it's been verified that the camera was in the case.

If a tree fell it doesn't necessarily mean it would break everything.  Plenty of space for small items. I agree that any stagers wouldn't know what was on the cameras , that's what basically rules out , outsiders for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version